Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Newsreels - Have you or anyone you know ever seen a familiar face in one?

yanceycravat

Whenever I see a newsreel I try to watch as carefully as I can to see if there's any chance of recognizing someone I may know. Long gone relative or old neighbor. Naturally I never have.

As a result I've often wondered if ANYONE out there has ever had that experience and what it entailed...

Yeah, Yancey! I'm PRETTY sure I once caught a quick shot of my Aunt Gertie who lived in Indianapolis Indiana all of her life, speaking to Wendell Willkie in one of those old Time Marches On movie shorts.

Well, it sure LOOKED like Aunt Gertie anyway.

(...of course then again, MANY women back then looked like Aunt Gertie, ya know)

;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

What I like about Newsreels is whom I don't see

Indeed. How about idiots holding up their cel phones?

Reminds me of the scene in ZELIG when Mia Farrows' character spots the Zelig character with Hitler! And isn't there a movie where the family "back home" spots their soldier in a newsreel? Possibly SINCE YOU WENT AWAY?

There is a very old short sometimes shown on TCM about a family of circus equestrians. I know a granddaughter of the family (a horse trainer!) and tried to get a DVD copy of the short to her but she moved. 😞

Been so long since I've ever SEEN a "newsreel" that anyone I might know who also might have BEEN in one are probably so long gone I wouldn't recognize them anyway!  ;)

And don't forget LAUREL and HARDY's WIVES seeing them in that newsreel in SONS OF THE DESERT!  :D 

And though no one is sure, there IS the possibility, according to his long told war stories, that one of those guys with rags tied over their faces driving the bulldozers that pushed huge piles of corpses into mass graves at liberated WWII concentration camps might've been my uncle PHIL.  :(  He was in the corp of engineers, and my Aunt Jackie said he never was the same after he came back from that.  

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

one of those guys with rags tied over their faces driving the bulldozers that pushed huge piles of corpses into mass graves at liberated WWII concentration camps might've been my uncle PHIL.  :(  He was in the corp of engineers, and my Aunt Jackie said he never was the same after he came back from that. 

There's little wonder about that!😟

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings