Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi! For years now I have been trying to find the title of a film I watched with my mom when I was young. I can not remember the title or any of the actors. What I do remember are parts of the movie. It was a black & white comedy that centered around the ghost of a man's first wife that comes back to sabotage his relationship with his new wife and ultimately cause him to become a ghost with her. I remember towards the end that the ghost wife cuts the brake line of his car in the hope that the husband will wreck, die, and join her next time he went for a drive. To her dismay, the new wife drives the car instead. People have suggested Topper, Blithe Spirit, of My Favorite Wife as options, but none of those is the movie I'm looking for.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

That's unmistakeably Blithe Spirit (which you must have seen on a b&w TV because it's in color).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blithe_Spirit_(film)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038363/

Rex Harrison has a fake seance with Margaret Rutherford as the medium and she accidentally brings back his first wife as a ghost. The ghost wife bugs the second wife, then, just like you said, cuts the breaks so the husband can join her, and accidentally kills the second wife instead. Rex has to bring Maggie back to try and get rid of both wives, but at the end they kill him and he's a ghost too.

blithe-spirit-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Shopkins said:

Hi! For years now I have been trying to find the title of a film I watched with my mom when I was young. I can not remember the title or any of the actors. What I do remember are parts of the movie. It was a black & white comedy that centered around the ghost of a man's first wife that comes back to sabotage his relationship with his new wife and ultimately cause him to become a ghost with her. I remember towards the end that the ghost wife cuts the brake line of his car in the hope that the husband will wreck, die, and join her next time he went for a drive. To her dismay, the new wife drives the car instead. People have suggested Topper, Blithe Spirit, of My Favorite Wife as options, but none of those is the movie I'm looking for.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

Give us a time frame if you can. Also remember if, say you saw the film in the mid sixties on a TV it may have been a B&W TV and the film is actually in color.

1 minute ago, LonesomePolecat said:

That's unmistakeably Blithe Spirit (which you must have seen on a b&w TV because it's in color).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blithe_Spirit_(film)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038363/

Rex Harrison has a fake seance with Margaret Rutherford as the medium and she accidentally brings back his first wife as a ghost. The ghost wife bugs the second wife, then, just like you said, cuts the breaks so the husband can join her, and accidentally kills the second wife instead. Rex has to bring Maggie back to try and get rid of both wives, but at the end they kill him and he's a ghost too.

blithe-spirit-1.jpg

You beat me to it, lol

• Like 1

There's also a possibility that you saw a television production of BLITHE SPIRIT.  According to Wikipedia, there have been at least five TV productions (three American, two British): 

An American television adaptation was broadcast in 1946, with Philip Tonge as Charles, Carol Goodner as Ruth, Leonora Corbett as Elvira and Estelle Winwood as Madame Arcati.  In Britain, BBC television broadcast a production in 1948, directed by George More O'Ferrall, with Frank Lawton as Charles, Marian Spencer as Ruth, Betty Ann Davies as Elvira and Beryl Measor reprising her stage role of Madame Arcati.  Coward directed a 14 January 1956, live American television adaptation for the Ford Star Jubilee series, in which he also starred as Charles, with Claudette Colbert as Ruth, Lauren Bacall as Elvira and Mildred Natwick as Madame Arcati.  A British commercial television adaptation in 1964 was directed by Joan Kemp-Welch, with Griffith Jones as Charles, Helen Cherry as Ruth, Joanna Dunham as Elvira and Hattie Jacques as Madame Arcati.  Another American television TV production was presented in 1966 on the Hallmark Hall of Fame, with Dirk Bogarde as Charles, Rachel Roberts as Ruth, Rosemary Harris as Elvira and Ruth Gordon as Madame Arcati.

• Thanks 1

Well, that explains it! I always looked over Blithe Spirit because I was so sure it was in black and white. Seeing it on TV would've been how we watched it way back when TCM first began. Thank you all so much! I can't wait to buy the movie and watch it with my mom again. I am so grateful for the help!