Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook; 2011

Cedar Rapids was the saga of an immature insurance salesman.

Cedar_rapids_film_poster.jpg

Big Mommas: Like Father like Son was the last in this particular series...

Big_Mommas_Poster.jpg

Win win was a very good sports comedy about a put-upon man who takes in a high school wrestler just for funds, but grows to love the boy like a son. Paul Giamatti, Amy Ryan, and Burt Young starred.

Win_Win_Poster.jpg

And then a quick followup to a kids film of the previous year....

Diary_of_a_Wimpy_Kid_2_Poster.jpg

The trend continued with Rio, an animated film involving talking birds.

Rio2011Poster.jpg

Dum Maaro Dum was a crime film from India.

Dum_Maaro_Dum_Film.jpg

Water for Elephants involved an illicit affair under the big top.

Water_for_Elephants_Poster.jpg

The Tree of Life was astonishingly beautiful. A meditation on growing up in a small town crossed with scenes dealing with the creation of the earth and eternity, it baffled some audiences, but it was one of the most Critically acclaimed films of the last 20 years and won the Palme D'Or. I thought it was excellent.

MV5BNTgyNTQzMDEwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQx

More X-Men. This time set in the 1960s.

X-MenFirstClassMoviePoster.jpg

The Art of Getting By was young romance with Freddie Highmore and Emma Roberts.

The_Art_of_Getting_By_Poster.jpg

Mr. Popper's Penguins was a loose version of a 1930s children's classic. Jim Carrey starred, more restrained than usual, but the highpoint was the small supporting role for Angela Lansbury.

Mr.Popper'sPenguinsTeaser.jpg

Monte Carlo took teen romance to the Riviera.

MV5BMTMzMjgyODI4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODgx

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was a saga of friendship set in China.

Snow_flower_and_the_secret_fan_poster.jp

Another Earth was very good. The independent production told of a young woman who discovered an earth-like planet, but, looking up at it one night while driving, caused an accident that claimed the life of a woman and child.... years later, she tries to apologize to the man whose life was changed in that accident..... The film was rich with emotion.

Poster_of_the_movie_Another_Earth.jpg

Rise of the planet of the Apes reinvigorated a moribund series and spawned more gorilla-centric films.

Rise_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes_Poster.jp

Glee: The 3D Concert Movie was a spinoff from the TV show.

Glee-_The_3D_Concert_Movie.jpg

Margaret was a long time coming. It was filmed in 2005, but it wasn't released until 2011. The saga had Anna Paquin feeling responsible for a fatal bus accident, who wanted to see justice done. Although barely released and despite very polarized responces, it is one of the most critically admired films of the decade, that is if you take it as a 2011 film. Jeannie Berlin returned to film after a 21 (or is it 15?) year absence.

MV5BYWFiMTIyMjEtY2M4ZC00NDlkLWFiMWUtMDdh

What's Your Number was a risque rom-com.

What's_Your_Number%3F_Poster.jpg

The Big Year was a comedy about birdwatching.

The_Big_Year_Poster.jpg

Elizabeth Olson made a name for herself as an escapee from a dangerous cult in Martha Marcy May Marlene.

Martha_Marcy_May_Marlene.jpg

Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried were In Time, a saga with echos of Logan's Run, only here people had the ability to buy extra time.

Intimefairuse.jpg

George Clooney was at his best in The Decendents where he played a businessman now in charge of his children after his wife entered an irreversible coma following an accident. It was all well handled.

MV5BMjAyNTA1MTcyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjEy

Shame was the fourth and final X or NC-17 film financed by Fox. In this case, the explicit, dour saga of a man addicted to sex could not have received any other rating. Michael Fassbender played the addict, while Carey Mulligan was his sister.

MV5BMTQ3MzM0OTE5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzI4

The Sitter was another R-rated comedy.

The_Sitter_Poster.jpg

Earth vs the aliens again in The Darkest Hour

The_Darkest_Hour_Theatrical_Poster.jpg

And chipmunks on an island also seemingly meant Christmas....

Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks_3_teaser.jpg

As did Matt Damon, Scarlett Johansson, and a Zoo.

We_Bought_a_Zoo_Poster.jpg

• Like 2

The Tree of Life is a great film; I saw it three times that year. I don't think I've ever seen a Terrence Malick film that I didn't like.

I saw Margaret by chance, without knowing anything about it, and I think it's a terrific film.

My top picks:

1. The Descendants 
  2. The Tree of Life
  3. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
  4. Martha Marcy May Marlene
  5. Margaret

I've also seen Cedar RapidsWin WinX-Men: First ClassAnother EarthIn TimeShameThe SitterThe Darkest Hour, and We Bought a Zoo.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings