Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2014 started with a horror film, Devil's Due.

MV5BOTU0NTMxNzk0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDA4

Fox teamed up with Columbia for the all-star The monuments Men, involving the saving of artwork during WWII

MV5BMjMxMjk4NTM1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjg0

Son of God brought the story of Jesus back to the big screen.

Son_of_God_film_poster.jpg

The Grand Budapest Hotel was nothing less than one of the best films of the last 25 years.

MV5BMzM5NjUxOTEyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjEy

Mr Peabody and Sherman was a new take on supporting characters from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

Mr_Peabody_&_Sherman_Poster.JPG

Jude Law was a criminal in the dark comedy Don Hemingway.

Dom_Hemingway_--_Movie_Poster.jpg

The talking birds now went to the Amazon jungle.

Rio_2_Poster.JPG

The Other Woman followed in the footsteps of Outrageous Fortune by having multiple women discover they had all been seeing the same man and going for revenge.

The_Other_Woman_(2014_film)_poster.jpg

X-men: Days of Future Past just showed that they kept coming.

MV5BMjEwMDk2NzY4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTY2

Belle was the fascinating tale of the woman (well played by gugu Mbatha-Raw) who ended slavery in England. A fine supporting cast included Emily Watson, Tom Wilkinson, Penelope Wilton, and Miranda Richardson.

MV5BMjI0NDE2MjYyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTg0

The Fault in Our Stars was the teen equivalent of Love Story: Terminal but cute. (Sorry couldn't resist that line from a 1973 Mary Tyler Moore Show episode)

The_Fault_in_Our_Stars_(Official_Film_Po

I Origins was sci-fi with a romantic twist.

I_Origins_poster.jpg

How to train Your Dragon 2 was a much acclaimed animated sequel to the 2010 fantasy.

How_to_Train_Your_Dragon_2_poster.jpg

the apes were back again to claim their planet.

Dawn_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes.jpg

DragonBall Z was handled by Fox in theatres only.

DBZ_THE_MOVIE_NO._14.png

Brendan Gleeson played a priest, an ordinary decent priest, who finds that for no reason related to his own conduct, but rather that of others, he will be murdered in a week. Since this was confided in the confessional, he cannot take it to the police, and so awaits his tragic fate. Gleeson received raves.

Calvary_movieposter.jpg

Let's Be Cops was R-rated make-believe

Let's_Be_Cops_poster.jpg

James Gandolfini's final performance was in the crime film The Drop.

The_Drop_Poster.jpg

The Maze Runner started another series of apocalyptic tales for teens.

The_Maze_Runner_poster.jpg

Gone Girl was a superdark, violent, gritty thriller involving two veryunreliable narrators. Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike starred.

Gone_Girl_Poster.jpg

The Book of Life was animation inspired by the Day of the Dead.

The_Book_of_Life_(2014_film)_poster.jpg

More animation was in store with The Penguins of Madagascar.

Penguins_of_Madagascar_poster.jpg

Birdman won Best picture. The performances were good, but....

MV5BODAzNDMxMzAxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMx

The Pyramid was a dive into horror.

MV5BZWZmMzg4NTMtZDJjMC00MmIxLWEyZjAtZjk3

Reese Witherspoon was good in the gritty Wild, as a woman determined by hiking to turn her life around. Laura Dern appeared in flashbacks as her mother. Both were Oscar-nominated.

Wild2014Poster.jpg

Christian Bale was Moses in Exodus: Gods and Kings.

Exodus2014Poster.jpg

The year closed with Night in the Museum: Secret of the Tomb which closed the series, the year, and the careers of Mickey Rooney and Robin Williams.

Night_at_the_Museum_Secret_of_the_Tomb_p

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My top picks:

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel (favorite film of the year regardless of studio)
  2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  3. Calvary
  4. The Drop
  5. How to Train Your Dragon 2
  6. Gone Girl

I've also seen Devil's DueThe Monuments MenDom HemingwayX-Men: Days of Future PastThe Fault in Our StarsI OriginsThe Maze RunnerThe PyramidWildExodus: Gods and Kings, and Birdman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 7:10 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Brendan Gleeson played a priest, an ordinary decent priest, who finds that for no reason related to his own conduct, but rather that of others, he will be murdered in a week. Since this was confided in the confessional, he cannot take it to the police, and so awaits his tragic fate. Gleeson received raves.

I agree, we enjoyed Calvary starring the always good Brendan Gleeson although it may not be for everyone.  It's a compelling story as you mentioned with a very good supporting cast playing his parishioners/town people who all have a lot of baggage that keeps the viewer's guessing which one is planning to kill Gleason.  Also starring Aidan Gillen, Chris O'Dowd, M. Emmet Walsh, Domhnall Gleeson.

• Like 1

Grand Budapest Hotel and Calvary (I almost typed "cavalry") are my picks. I agree with Lawrence's assessment of Grand Budapest Hotel and the comments of Peebs regarding Calvary.

• Like 2
On 6/25/2019 at 8:10 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Reese Witherspoon was good in the gritty Wild, as a woman determined by hiking to turn her life around. Laura Dern appeared in flashbacks as her mother. Both were Oscar-nominated.

Wild2014Poster.jpg

A good movie, but "Into The Wild" (2009) was a better wilderness film.

• Like 1