Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Ideas Which Actor This Is?

We got the following comment on our website (UltimateMovieRankings.com) I nor any of my regular readers have any idea who this actor is....any ideas in the land of TCM?

"I'm trying to find which US male star of 50-60s was a sailor and lost a son off a ship in a storm. The actor came to UK with diplomat father at US embassy and they put the actor in a UK private school. I was thinking it was Sterling Hayden but cannot find any link to him losing a son off a ship. Father then lost interest in acting and went sailing. Could it have been one called Robert?" - Rose White

• Confused 1

Several questions arise here...

If the actor in question lost his SON in a storm at sea, then wouldn't he then be a bit OLD to be put in a UK private school?  And was he a sailor and THEN went into acting?  And wouldn't anyone, actor OR sailor have NO interst in sailing having lost a child that way? 

A bit more to go on would help.

Sepiatone

I'm thinking perhaps "Rose White" meant to say that the actor had a diplomat father and attended a UK private school.  Then in the 50s-60s, he became a sailor and that's when he lost his son. Sterling Hayden is who came to mind as well, but I don't know about the diplomat father or the lost son. 

Thanks for the thoughts.  Sterling Hayden does fit lots of these clues....but as far as I can tell none of his 6 kids had a tragic ending like that.  Hayden did take his kids out to sea.....which he was in contempt of court....but returned with all the kids....he came back when his money ran out.  And as Hibi points out...Hayden was a high school drop out....so not thinking English Prep Schools were even in Hayden's vocabulary.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings