Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gershwin fan

Democratic Debate

Recommended Posts

The Democratic debate is tonight and I'm not even sure who half these people are and the half I do know, I despise. Uhhh... Yang is cool, I guess.

062019-democratic-debate-lead.jpg?itok=j

merlin_157011966_c21ee83b-96f6-4059-8b2f

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How the heck DeBlasio made the cut I don't know.  At least running for a job he'll never get keeps him out of town so he can't ruin this city any more than he already has.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RoyCronin said:

How the heck DeBlasio made the cut I don't know.  At least running for a job he'll never get keeps him out of town so he can't ruin this city any more than he already has.  

I don't think DeBlasio will make it very far. I think Biden or O'Rourke will be chosen by the Democrats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First US Democratic debate: Eight things to know

Who will be on stage? What issues do voters want to hear about most? Everything you need to know about the first debate.

"......A recent Morning Consult/Politico poll showed Democratic voters want to hear from candidates about their plans for climate change, gun policy and recent abortion legislation.

Other issues voters said they cared about going into the debate included Medicare for All implementation, immigration, education reform and relations with Iran.....

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/06/democratic-debate-190626180212826.html?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5d13f590c0e5900001cb2b66&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MSNBC political analyst just said that Warren is the most popular of the candidates in the first round tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

The MSNBC political analyst just said that Warren is the most popular of the candidates in the first round tonight. 

Based on polling data that is true.   What I wonder if the selection process.    Since Warren has to only go up against light weights,  unless she flops (and I don't think she will),   she should make gains in the post debate polls.

That will be a lot harder for the front runners (Biden, Sanders) in the second debate unless one of them really just wipes the others out (which given the limit amount of time they have is very unlikely).

So was there a 'fix' to help Warren,  or was the selection based on drawing straws?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that butt wanger chris Matthews likes deblasio.

:lol:

the only one I think who struck a reasoned chord was Delaney who spoke the truth that the democrat party has disconnected itself from average working class americans and now is a party of coastal intellectual elitists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

that butt wanger chris Matthews likes deblasio.

:lol:

the only one I think who struck a reasoned chord was Delaney who spoke the truth that the democrat party has disconnected itself from average working class americans and now is a party of coastal intellectual elitists.

Same is true for Donald Trump times one thousand and his tax breaks for billionaires.  But some prefer to believe in the con.  

If you were really interested in a party that was for "average working class" people you would want a democratic party that was allowed to move more to the left and was then supported by Congress.  Those policies are for the average joe and not billionaires.  But hey, I understand that you cannot overcome a lifetime of conditioning overnight.  Especially when this conditioning is bought by people like Rupert Murdoch, the Koch Brothers and the super-rich.  They know which triggers to pull to get joes to fall in line.  Offer something that they don't really care about such as abortion or guns and get much more in return from the suckers - unlimited wealth.

  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but that's a perpetuation of a mistruth and is a misrepresentation of fact.

I don't earn a million dollars and my total tax liability in 2018 was down from 2017.  Fact.

H&R Block published a study of its 2018 clients across the country and tax liabilities dropped in every state in 2018 from 2017.  Their clients are generally not Wall Street Billionaires.

The media loved to push the story that tax refunds were lower in 2018 or filers were not getting a refund.  Conveniently, that ignores the fact that workers regular pay checks were higher.  Mine is.  If you factor that in, tax liabilities in general were lower, particularly if your income was primarily payroll generated.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed it.  Was too busy watching VANDERBILT break my heart.  :(

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoyCronin said:

Sorry, but that's a perpetuation of a mistruth and is a misrepresentation of fact.

I don't earn a million dollars and my total tax liability in 2018 was down from 2017.  Fact.

H&R Block published a study of its 2018 clients across the country and tax liabilities dropped in every state in 2018 from 2017.  Their clients are generally not Wall Street Billionaires.

The media loved to push the story that tax refunds were lower in 2018 or filers were not getting a refund.  Conveniently, that ignores the fact that workers regular pay checks were higher.  Mine is.  If you factor that in, tax liabilities in general were lower, particularly if your income was primarily payroll generated.

Proportionally it is completely off the scale.  The Wal-Mart family got a quarter of a billion dollar tax break.  Did they need it?  You got a bone tossed your way.  Now they are going after your services to pay for it while the rich get away scott free.    Enjoy.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's a lot of rich people that hate the rich, but keep making more money for themselves with a fake Indian, a fake mexican, a fake poor person (many there). The fake mayors can't run anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

that butt wanger chris Matthews likes deblasio.

:lol:

the only one I think who struck a reasoned chord was Delaney who spoke the truth that the democrat party has disconnected itself from average working class americans and now is a party of coastal intellectual elitists.

He was the one that stuck to actual policy issues the most. Some of the others really played up the identity politics, including delivering monologues in broken Spanish and Castro even defended the trans "females" rights to abortion. :wacko: Warren and Tulsi are probably the most popular of the candidates that debated last night. Most of them are not going to get very far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Proportionally it is completely off the scale.  The Wal-Mart family got a quarter of a billion dollar tax break.  Did they need it?  You got a bone tossed your way.  Now they are going after your services to pay for it while the rich get away scott free.    Enjoy.

I admit that the benefits of The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act were weighted in favor of corporate tax rate reductions.  More could have been done for individuals.  My point is the untrue rhetoric one hears that nothing was done to benefit the individual tax payer.  I only wish that the media was more even handed about this issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I missed it.  Was too busy watching VANDERBILT break my heart.  :(

Sepiatone

Missed it too, was listening to ESPN radio on an octal tube version of the Ocean hopper.  Distractions, distractions.

Rebuilt49B_11Jul13_Small.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoyCronin said:

I admit that the benefits of The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act were weighted in favor of corporate tax rate reductions.  More could have been done for individuals.  My point is the untrue rhetoric one hears that nothing was done to benefit the individual tax payer.  I only wish that the media was more even handed about this issue.

 

If you consider the trillions in added debt and the money that could be going to programs and infrastructure that would benefit all of the citizens then yes, very little was done to benefit the individual tax payer.  

But America has been a society of everyone for himself for a long while now.  And that's another reason why billionaires are only too happy with the system.

  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who won the first Democratic presidential debate?

Analysis: In a crowded field, candidates need big moments like debates to stand out. Here's who seized the opportunity and who missed it.

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/who-won-first-democratic-presidential-debate-n1023066?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

==============================

- kind of a mess, but digging a WARREN/CASTRO ticket  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What to Watch on Debate Night: Biden, Bernie and Other Stars

Debate night No. 2 marks the first time top-tier presidential candidates will confront one another in person over who is best fit to lead the Democratic effort to oust President Donald Trump in 2020.

The sheer star power of the showdown Thursday at 9 p.m. Eastern amps up the pressure on candidates to stand out, pile on, fend off attacks or just survive.

It’s Joe Biden’s night to show he commands the field. But it’s Bernie Sanders’ chance to show he’s the one who understands today’s Democratic Party. Pete Buttigieg could try to sound like a leader on the national stage, and Kamala Harris may aim to make a more personal impression........

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/what-to-watch-on-debate-night-biden-bernie-and-other-stars/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

didn't watch the debates, but read some reviews.  Apparently Warren and Booker got a lot of coverage, but nobody really jumped out to lead the pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheCid said:

didn't watch the debates, but read some reviews.  Apparently Warren and Booker got a lot of coverage, but nobody really jumped out to lead the pack.

The highlight of the night was definitely Castro implying trans can get abortions. :lol: Now let's see if that can get topped tonight.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...