Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BritBox's Agatha Christie series

TopBilled

On Friday the 21st of June, Britbox started a Christie Cinema series. 

They kicked it off with THE MIRROR CRACK'D (1980).

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 8.42.52 PM.jpeg

Angela Lansbury stars as Agatha Christie's Miss Marple in a star-studded treat that includes Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, Kim Novak, and Tony Curtis. Director: Guy Hamilton.

This Friday, the 28th, they will be adding EVIL UNDER THE SUN (1982)

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 8.53.48 PM.jpeg

Peter Ustinov stars as Hercule Poirot in a Mediterranean murder adventure. Maggie Smith, James Mason, Roddy McDowall and Diana Rigg also appear. Director: Guy Hamilton.

• Like 3

On Friday the 5th of July they added

UNFINISHED PORTRAIT: THE LIFE OF AGATHA CHRISTIE (1990)

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 6.37.54 PM.jpeg

Joan Hickson narrates this documentary about Christie's personal and professional life. Based on the author's private correspondence, it also features interviews with two of her biographers as well as her former agent. Plus they've included some dramatic re-enactments, especially surrounding her eleven-day disappearance in 1926. There are a few clips of Christie herself being interviewed at various events, as well as audio from a recorded interview she did near the end of her life. At just 60 minutes, it's not too drawn out. Worth watching.

• Thanks 1

On Friday the 12th of July they added

MURDER SHE SAID (1961)

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 3.43.24 PM.jpeg

Based on Agatha Christie's novel 4.50 from Paddington. Miss Marple witnesses a strangling on a passing train. But when the police dismiss it, she sets out to discover the truth herself. Margaret Rutherford stars as Miss Marple.

On Friday the 19th of July they added

AGATHA (1979)

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 3.07.58 PM.jpeg

Starring Vanessa Redgrave and Dustin Hoffman, this Oscar-nominated picture gives a fictional portrait of Christie during her real-life disappearance. Produced three years after Christie's death.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

On Friday the 19th of July they added

AGATHA (1979)

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 3.07.58 PM.jpeg

Starring Vanessa Redgrave and Dustin Hoffman, this Oscar-nominated picture gives a fictional portrait of Christie during her real-life disappearance. Produced three years after Christie's death.

Fictional, but based on facts, and there's nothing wrong with a little literary license. Maybe Agatha would have agreed with that too.

This film is Certainly more entertaining than documentaries I've watched on the subject.

35 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Fictional, but based on facts, and there's nothing wrong with a little literary license. Maybe Agatha would have agreed with that too.

This film is Certainly more entertaining than documentaries I've watched on the subject.

The documentary they added last week went into detail about Christie's disappearance. It presented two conflicting views of the incident. One was a sugarcoated version from the biographer that Christie's estate hired to write about her life. And the other viewpoint was from another writer who had done extensive research about it. 

I tended to agree with the writer who was not associated with the estate. And by the way, neither one of them gave a version that was very much like what we see in AGATHA (1979).

The authorized biographer said Christie developed amnesia (without saying what might have caused it). And the unauthorized biographer said Christie staged the disappearance to embarrass her husband whom she discovered had been cheating and was planning to leave her. But that it backfired, because Christie hadn't thought the consequences all the way through. Since the whole country was out looking for her during those days when she was hiding in some swanky hotel, pretending she was dead, they concocted the amnesia story to explain it. By making it seem less deliberate than what it was, the public wouldn't turn on her and she could keep selling books.

My view is that Christie probably went a bit crazy when she learned the husband was going to leave her. And not thinking clearly, she staged her disappearance to get even. She wanted revenge on him.

They divorced about a year after the disappearance. And the husband did marry his mistress.

• Thanks 1

I envy your Britbox subscription. I have considered that myself, but having not "cut the cable", and having a couple of extras like Netflix and Amazon Prime, I am reluctant to add additional services. It is sort of like dying by $15/mo cuts. That said, I would really enjoy revisiting the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes stuff (the best ever) and the old Inspector Morse series. I have gotten into Endeavor and really enjoy that.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

I envy your Britbox subscription. I have considered that myself, but having not "cut the cable", and having a couple of extras like Netflix and Amazon Prime, I am reluctant to add additional services. It is sort of like dying by $15/mo cuts. That said, I would really enjoy revisiting the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes stuff (the best ever) and the old Inspector Morse series. I have gotten into Endeavor and really enjoy that.

Every episode of the Holmes series with Brett is on Britbox. Most are about 50 minutes. A few are 90 minutes. They're a real treat and I enjoy re-watching them.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

The documentary they added last week went into detail about Christie's disappearance. It presented two conflicting views of the incident. One was a sugarcoated version from the biographer that Christie's estate hired to write about her life. And the other viewpoint was from another writer who had done extensive research about it. 

I tended to agree with the writer who was not associated with the estate. And by the way, neither one of them gave a version that was very much like what we see in AGATHA (1979).

The authorized biographer said Christie developed amnesia (without saying what might have caused it). And the unauthorized biographer said Christie staged the disappearance to embarrass her husband whom she discovered had been cheating and was planning to leave her. But that it backfired, because Christie hadn't thought the consequences all the way through. Since the whole country was out looking for her during those days when she was hiding in some swanky hotel, pretending she was dead, they concocted the amnesia story to explain it. By making it seem less deliberate than what it was, the public wouldn't turn on her and she could keep selling books.

My view is that Christie probably went a bit crazy when she learned the husband was going to leave her. And not thinking clearly, she staged her disappearance to get even. She wanted revenge on him.

They divorced about a year after the disappearance. And the husband did marry his mistress.

I agree with you as to what occurred. But I think the Revenge factor maybe not really quite the way I would have put it. Her only defense mechanism was to do what she knew how to do best. I agree that she went a bit off and put herself as main character in one of her murder mysteries oh, well implicating her husband. 

I see the whole thing as kind of a defense mechanism and as her way of dealing with a bad situation.

He stayed married to the second woman until he died. And she later went on an archaeological dig in the Middle East and found her second husband who was an archaeologist.

Her first husband was quite a World War I hero, but he never adjusted to civilian life or was that successful professionally. And I believe he had a great deal of jealousy against her successful profession.

Archie Christie was quite a handsome man, wasn't he?

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Every episode of the Holmes series with Brett is on Britbox. Most are about 50 minutes. A few are 90 minutes. They're a real treat and I enjoy re-watching them.

I've had the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes DVDs for years-- he was simply the best.

And right now I'm watching New Tricks, Inspector Lewis and The Last Detective on DVD.

Have You Ever Seen the Last Detective? I can see where a lot of people might not like it, it's an acquired taste.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I agree with you as to what occurred. But I think the Revenge factor maybe not really quite the way I would have put it. Her only defense mechanism was to do what she knew how to do best. I agree that she went a bit off and put herself as main character in one of her murder mysteries oh, well implicating her husband. 

I see the whole thing as kind of a defense mechanism and as her way of dealing with a bad situation.

He stayed married to the second woman until he died. And she later went on an archaeological dig in the Middle East and found her second husband who was an archaeologist.

Her first husband was quite a World War I hero, but he never adjusted to civilian life or was that successful professionally. And I believe he had a great deal of jealousy against her successful profession.

Archie Christie was quite a handsome man, wasn't he?

One of the stipulations of the divorce was that she could keep the Christie name, since that's how her reading public knew her. So she never took the second husband's name though she was married to him longer, until her death in 1976.

She had a daughter with the first husband, but it sounds like the daughter was closer to Agatha than to Archie.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I've had the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes DVDs for years-- he was simply the best.

And right now I'm watching New Tricks, Inspector Lewis and The Last Detective on DVD.

Have You Ever Seen the Last Detective? I can see where a lot of people might not like it, it's an acquired taste.

Haven't heard of it. Sounds interesting. 

I do like Rathbone's interpretation of Holmes, but I think Brett's performance is a bit more layered and energetic.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

Then hi!

Inspector Morse was exceedingly popular in our neck of the woods. Our Public Library has all those DVDs. But I really never cared for that actor at all.

For the last four years I've been watching Endeavour on the PBS and it is simply one of my favorite all-time mystery shows.

Now Shaun Evans is simply one of the best young actors we have today. I get the biggest kick of listening to his interviews with his Liverpool accent, reminds me of the Beatles

They're talking about doing one more season of Endeavour but it will not be as many episodes because Shaun wants to move on. And I don't blame him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Haven't heard of it. Sounds interesting. 

I do like Rathbone's interpretation of Holmes, but I think Brett's performance is a bit more layered and energetic.

Jeremy put everything he had into it. I think in part that may be what wrecked his health.

Basil Rathbone gave an excellent account of the character, but Rathbone was an in demand Studio, radio Broadway actor who was doing all kinds of things at that time. And he didn't devote himself that much to the character of Holmes. Also you know Universal had a limited budget.

But undoubtedly, Basil Rathbone set the film standard for the character-- just as William Gillette had set the stage Standard.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

One of the stipulations of the divorce was that she could keep the Christie name, since that's how her reading public knew her. So she never took the second husband's name though she was married to him longer, until her death in 1976.

She had a daughter with the first husband, but it sounds like the daughter was closer to Agatha than to Archie.

It's the daughter's son now and who has for decades handle all of these Christie business affairs. What I find so endearing about him after all these years is that they asked him about the writer Agatha Christie.

And he just always says I miss her as my grandmother more than anything else. He was given the rights to The Mousetrap before she died.

• Like 1

Spoilers ahead...

Screen%2Bshot%2B2017-01-14%2Bat%2B12.54.

I just watched AGATHA (1979) tonight on Britbox. 

I think the most fictional part of this film is her trying to kill herself in the electric chair. In real life, she didn't go to the Old Swan to commit suicide. She went there to hide out and regroup. If she had wanted to kill herself when Archie left her, she could have just ended it all in the car, crashing into the tree.

Speaking of which, this film makes it seem like she was in a car accident. But in real life, she simply abandoned the vehicle on a country road, carefully arranging items in the backseat that would identify her. She staged a disappearance, there was no accident.

13 hours ago, Thenryb said:

I only have cable television and that is too expensive. I do business with Amazon without their Prime service. I can wait a week for my order to come.

I think there will be a lot of these less that $10/month services to come. I am very interested in the pending Disney+. I am not alone.

I'm a fan of A Fine Romance and As Time Goes By. I have the DVDs, but the audio is awful. So I watch As Time Goes By on PBS sometimes.

11 minutes ago, The Keeper said:

I only have cable television and that is too expensive. I do business with Amazon without their Prime service. I can wait a week for my order to come.

I think there will be a lot of these less that $10/month services to come. I am very interested in the pending Disney+. I am not alone.

I'm a fan of A Fine Romance and As Time Goes By. I have the DVDs, but the audio is awful. So I watch As Time Goes By on PBS sometimes.

Keeper--

They've had "As Time Goes By" on our PBS station so long they've gone through it maybe three or four times. I have the DVDs and I don't have any problem with the audio. Also the color is quite good.

A while back, I bought the anniversary special DVD and I've enjoyed that very much too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Keeper--

They've had "As Time Goes By" on our PBS station so long they've gone through it maybe three or four times. I have the DVDs and I don't have any problem with the audio. Also the color is quite good.

A while back, I bought the anniversary special DVD and I've enjoyed that very much too.

Well Princess, my hearing is a little sloppy. Matches my vision now. The laugh track gets in the way and the sound is mushy. I have a boxed set with all but the reunion show. I have more than one PBS. They show the program just once a week. I think it is also on Acorn TV.

If you like Judi Dench, A Fine Romance is great. I have only found it on DVD. You might find some episodes on YouTube.

Someday I will drop my cable television to just the broadcast channels (sorry TCM) and rotate these other streamers.

It does not look like there will be a replacement to FilmStruck.

EDIT: Here is one of many comparisons of BritBox and Acorn TV.

https://www.iheartbritishtv.com/should-i-get-britbox-or-acorn-tv/

As Time Goes By is on BritBox.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2019 at 7:22 PM, Thenryb said:

I have considered that myself, but having not "cut the cable", and having a couple of extras like Netflix and Amazon Prime, I am reluctant to add additional services. It is sort of like dying by $15/mo cuts.

Don't want to derail this thread but, come November, many people will be making the same decision. Those $15/mos add up.

11 hours ago, The Keeper said:

I do business with Amazon without their Prime service. I can wait a week for my order to come

Amazon Prime has a lot of movies, series, etc that are free. My subscription has nothing to do with waiting for an order to arrive. It has Britbox and Acorn stuff too if you want to sign up for a 7 day free trial.

11 hours ago, Thenryb said:

Amazon Prime has a lot of movies, series, etc that are free. My subscription has nothing to do with waiting for an order to arrive. It has Britbox and Acorn stuff too if you want to sign up for a 7 day free trial.

I'm confused. I didn't think Prime had anything for free, unless it was their IMDb channel with ads. My brother has Prime mostly for the free 2-day shipping. He also uses the video and music. So far, I cannot justify the additional cost.

On Friday the 26th of July they added

MURDER AT THE GALLOP (1963)

screen-shot-2019-07-26-at-7.29.24-pm.jpe

Margaret Rutherford is back as iconic Miss Marple. When a rich man dies, everyone thinks he suffered a fatal heart attack. But Miss Marple believes it was foul play...all four heirs have a motive for murder.

On Friday the 2nd of August they added

MURDER MOST FOUL (1964)

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 7.01.36 AM.jpeg

Miss Marple (Margaret Rutherford) goes undercover in a theater troupe. She suspects one of her fellow players is a killer. She must reveal the truth before more cast members exit the scene, permanently.

On Friday the 9th of August they added

THE ALPHABET MURDERS (1965)

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 2.14.10 PM.jpeg

Tony Randall stars as detective Hercule Poirot in this classic comic take on Agatha Christie's 'The A.B.C. Murders.' When victims are killed in alphabetical order, Poirot is summoned to help catch the culprit.

• TopBilled changed the title to BritBox's Agatha Christie series

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings