Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 2017

David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike started the year with A United Kingdom, the saga of a marriage facing opposition in both England and Africa. It was quite good.

A_United_Kingdom_poster.jpg

The offbeat horror film A Cure for Wellness came in right on its heels.

CureforWellnessOfficialPoster.jpeg

Logan was Hugh Jackman's last turn as an X-Man.

Logan_2017_poster.jpg

The Boss Baby was another serving of animation.

The_Boss_Baby_poster.jpg

The poster looks like an internet post, but Table 19 was an actual film, an offbeat comedy.

Table_19_film_poster.jpg

Wilson with Woody harrellson and Laura Dern continued the offbeat trend.

MV5BYzk4MTY0NDItN2I2ZS00NDEzLTg5MDUtMjgx

Gifted was a charmer, a moving comedy-drama over the ability to be a guardian of a child prodigy. Chris Evans made a good lead and Octavia Spenser is always welcome, but British actress Lindsay Duncan stole the film with a much more nuanced and  warmer take on her unsympathetic character than might be expected.

Gifted_film_poster.jpg

Snatched, an R rated cross between Romancing the Stone and outrageous Fortune just studded with more 4 letter words and violence, returned Goldie Hawn to the big screen. She was the best reason to watch it. Indeed it was only because of her and Joan Cusack (who has a small part as a mute) that I even watched it....

Snatched2017poster.jpg

Fox tried to reboot the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series for families, but this didn't lead to more.

Long_Haul_Poster.jpg

Also trying to continue a series was the brooding Alien Covenant.

Alien_Covenant_Teaser_Poster.jpg

Captain Underpants was another kid book series to film. It closed DreamWorks animated tenure at Fox. They have since moved to Universal.

Captain_Underpants_The_First_Epic_Movie_

Rachel Weisz climbed into Olivia De Havilland's shoes in a remake of My Cousin Rachel.

My_Cousin_Rachel_(2017_film).png

the apes continued on their path of world domination.

War_for_the_Planet_of_the_Apes_poster.jp

Step was the saga of an inner city dancing team.

StepPoster.jpg

And Patti Cake$ was the saga of an aspiring rapper, with Cathy Moriarty under heavy makeup as a 70-something grandmother.

Patti_Cakes.jpg

Battle of the Sexes was a dramatization of the famed 1973 tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs. Emma Stone, Steve Carell, Andrea Risebourough, Elisabeth Shue, and Bill Pullman starred.

Battle_of_the_Sexes_(film).png

The tough, violent Kingsmen: The Golden Circle, again with Taron Egerton in the lead had a truly eclectic supporting cast: Colin Firth, Halle Berry, Jeff Bridges, Julianne Moore, Elton John

Kingsman_The_Golden_Circle.png

Although it was barely released and unfortunately only received mixed reviews, Goodbye Christopher Robin might just be one of the most interesting Fox films of recent years thanks to the Disney merger. Winnie the pooh is big business for Disney; this film tells the real life tale behind it all... very unflinchingly. This is a sad tale of neglect, of exploitation, of a lack of love. Sure it gets a bit soft at the end, but this is a very brave film to deconstruct something so beloved, and I have a feeling this film might become suppressed sometime.... Domhnall Gleeson, Margot Robbie, and Kelly mcDonald (especially good) starred.

MV5BMjE2MTUzMDQzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDYx

Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell headed off to Oscar glory with Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, missouri

MV5BMjMxNzgwMDUyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQ0

Meanwhile, Kate Winslet and Idris Elba were stranded on a mountaintop.

TheMountainBetweenUsfilmposter.jpg

Agatha christie returned to the big screen with Murder on the Orient Express. Not as effective as the 1974 film, but a solid effort with a much appreciated undercurrent of deep emotion, a handsome production (filmed completely on 70 MM film, Fox's first this way since Patton), and Michelle Pfeiffer's best performance in years, in the old Lauren Bacall role.

MV5BMTAxNDkxODIyMDZeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDQ2

The Shape of Water won Best Picture for the year. It was most distinguished by sterling work from Sally Hawkins and Richard Jenkins.

MV5BNGNiNWQ5M2MtNGI0OC00MDA2LWI5NzEtMmZi

A little late and a little loose, but the children's saga of Ferdinand the bull begcame a full-length film..... 79 years after Disney did a short.

Ferdinand_(film).png

The Greatest Showman turned out to be that rarity of modern Hollywood: a word of mouth hit that started small, but held on as the weeks passed.

The_Greatest_Showman_poster.png

The year closed with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in The Post, at the time of the Pentagon Papers.

The_Post_(film).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My top picks:

1. Logan
  2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  3. War for the Planet of the Apes
  4. The Shape of Water
  5. Battle of the Sexes

I've also seen A Cure for WellnessAlien: CovenantKingsman: The Golden CircleMurder on the Orient ExpressThe Greatest Showman, and The Post.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings