Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2042052077_saveus.thumb.jpg.fbdc889d993f60e68685d8c827143d36.jpgDear Classic movie fanatics, 

I need your help beyond proportions!

My great great grandmother was the wife to an eccentric comic legend, and his name was LUIS ALBERNI...

Luis Alberni was a very respected, admired and well loved sensational on screen and on stage personality of his time. He left behind an immense body of work and memories that will soon be lost forever, if I dont do what I am doing now. Wanda Wilson, my great great grandmother, was the daughter of a Texas Architect, whose registered historic landmarks to this day still stand. In the 1920's she was a bootlegger, she would fly her plane loaded with barrels of gin and Whiskey while my great grandma would sleep atop he barrels. She had only one daughter, her daughter (my nana Wanda Ward - Alberni's "Kiki")  had only one daughter my Mom, and I am the first born great great grandchild.

In the late 1930s Luis Alberni still married to his first wife Charlotte discovered Wanda in a night club standing and chatting above a spiral staircase. She had pulled back platinum hair, her eyebrows shaved and drawn on in the Harlow style, her eyes strikingly blue, she wore red lipstick, a satin red dress, red pumps dazzled in rhinestones. He discovered her and instantly fell head over heals, she always would say "I fell in love with his curly jet black hair," according to my Nana. And so they began their love affair.

He was truly one of the greatest and an extremely seasoned freelance actor, he would often watch people in movies who couldn't act or who'd overact and say "Ah, they stumped their toe!"

My great great grandma a very classy and refined woman could be a mean drunk, so they would fight at times and recieved much publicity for their marital problems, they divorced in 1945, but still stayed with one another. My nana born in 1947 saw none of this. Wanda lived in Topanga Canyon a couple miles away from Luis when he died in 1962 at the motion picture television fund.

The moment I discovered Luis, was when I was 6 years old, my Nana Wanda yelled to me across the house "baby come here quick, papa's on t.v.!" I yelled back "okay I'm coming nana," this was a pivotal moment in my life, and my nana 71 years old now and 15 years old when her papa passed away planted the seed in me, that's made me who I am today. My name is Anthony Gilbert Carrillo and I am 33 years old. I'm an actor and film maker and desperately searching for people that are fans, once met, interviewed, have memorabilia I can use, and know about the legend behind the screen - Luis Alberni...

The proceeds of my film will be set aside for orphan children veterans of war, and another project of mines. 

I need everyone's help in this way:

Could you all here, please, please show a photo of his face to anyone you know who was living before 1962 who was born in the 10's, 20's, 30's 40's 50's? And ask they if they know my papa. You will receive credit, a moment in my film if youd like, and a cash reward if you can find me someone with information. I cannot pull this one off alone. 

Please contact me at Luisalbernidoc@gmail.com or my cell at 626.367.3559. -Anthony

THE FATE OF THIS HISTORY, DEPENDS ON THIS FILM BEING CREATED.

PLEASE ASK THE WORLD IF THEY REMEMBER LUIS ALBERNI. MY LIFE REVOLVES AROUND HIM!

And it's not too late, I walk the streets carrying his photos and asking everyone, I also knock on doors, I have met a total of 28 people who once met him. You might know someone!

Luis was a member of The Masquers Club organization, and #36A founding father of the Screen Actors Guild.

29354841_1638164832919273_1026526810186051263_o.jpg

22215096_10154873988828021_492713396_n.jpg

Luis Alberni in Menu (1933).jpg

uclame.jpg

Interesting post, Anthony. 

Thanks for raising awareness on this forum about Luis Alberni.

I've long said (in other threads) that we should have the descendants of classic stars sharing their personal stories about their famous relatives.

But I was starting to think some of them didn't appreciate or care about those film legacies.

I am glad you and your family do!

• Like 1

Yea,  good luck with this endeavor.    1937 was a good year for Luis with Easy Living and The Great Garrick.

Below is a poster from the film and Luis does get billing (as did Lana Turner in one of her very early films).

The Great Garrick.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aw, you all are the best! Topbilled yeah, I notice many people not carrying on their ancestors legacies, and its unfortunate, society itself I believe is to blame, I definitely can say that I had to battle and defeat society norms to be as passionate about my own history as I am. And you know, he was just so great, i just cant find it in myself to let him go unheard of. It is definitely part fate of my existence, being how honoring I have become. He left a very lasting impression on my Nana, and she loved him dearly. She painted a wild and colorful picture in my mind when she first told me about him as a child. And according to my (natal) birth chart, the career I will choose as an adult is inspired by my mother figure. Also it says, I will live a life in search of answers dealing with the past, and I will go down in history for bringing into a new generation, a historical monument. I feel like its spot on!  It has to be Luis Alberni!

Jamesjazzguitar, definitely 1937 was an incredible year for my Papa, and that James Whale film, wow! Baffles me it's not more widely recognized than it is, I had loads of fun watching it time and again and he just about steals the movie, my papa. So hilarious! 

Also, I've had the great pleasure of meeting Marsha Hunt on several occasions, who had a small part in Easy Living, says she did it for Preston as a favor. I was in tears when I first met her, cause the same moment that I first met and was sitting across from her was the moment I discovered she founded a womans shelter I lived at with my Nana when I was 9 years old, of course I thanked her. It was the biggest surprise, and most heartfelt moment. Saint Marsha Hunt, I like to say. 

• Like 1

GINNYFAN, Oh my God, thank you so much for sharing my message and helping me in my search. I am beyond grateful, and seeing your share on Facebook, truly brought tears to my eyes. I cant tell you how happy you made me!  You're awesome!  THANK YOU!!

ALL OF YOU, THANK YOU!

2042052077_saveus.thumb.jpg.fbdc889d993f60e68685d8c827143d36.jpg

Dear movie Lovers, Please will you help! Ill do anything for you, just please help me by asking and contacting me and by helping spread the word!

Ask every senior citizen if the know Luis Alberni or Wanda by showing them a picture of them.

YOU MUST SHOW A PICTURE. I found 20 people who met him, and 15 of them said no till I showed them his face.

Dont stop asking, I only have so much time left while the people of the 1920's to 1960's are still with us.

My great great grandma was married to the character actor Maestro Don LUIS ALBERNI, a Spanish native who ran away from home at age 16 only to join a traveling circus working as a clown in the south of France, a shakespearean actor he was also on the European stages, and upon immigrating to the USA, he joined the Broadway circuit, acted in silent features, then exploded with films advent of sound. He paved the way and opened the doors for spanish film stars in the US, and around the world. I discovered him at age 6 in 1992 when my Nana Wanda Ward yelled to me, "baby come here, papas on T.V.!"  It was a special moment that has solidified my life's purpose and that is to save him and my great great grandma Wanda Mary Wilson, a trailblazing bootlegger born in 1897 who would fly her plane transporting gin and whiskey in barrels while my young great grandma would nap on top of them, my great grandma passed in 1990 when I was 4. I am the only one of my siblings who met her. My great great grandma Wanda's dad Jake Wilson is somewhat famous from his life as a Texan. "Vigilantes to Verdicts" 2009 book has some things to say, my nanas grandma took her there in Stephenville Tx in the 1950's and pointed to many saloon buildings and said "your great grandpa built that one, and that one, and that one, and that one," all but one remain now in 2019. And my great great grandmas maternal 5th great grandpa is the frontiersman Colonel John Tipton of the revolutionary war, and once allies of president George Washington, and in fact Tennessee would not exist if it wasn't for my direct ancestor John Tipton. I was born in Los Angeles in 1986, I am an actor just as my Papa was, I am also a producer director and journalist. I volunteer with seniors at the Motion picture television fund, and am on the most desperate mission looking for people that remember my papa Luis Alberni 1886 - 1962 and Wanda Alberni. 1897 - 1970. help the movie come to life, all i want to do has been a passion of mines nearly all my life, and that is to save my family story for generations to come, and whatever money I make on it, use it to help children in dire need. Please help my film become a great success, by asking every senior citizen if the know Luis or Wanda, but most importantly you have to show them their faces! They are only remembered by face! Which can easily be found online. Email me or call me. Thank you 626.367.3559. LuisAlbernidoc@gmail.com
IG is Luis_alberni_lives or rollingthunderfirestingray
my facebook is www.facebook.com/OfficialAnthonyCarrillo
Sincerely - Anthony Sinray Alberni

Good luck with your project! I doubt any of the septe/octagenarians in the Hudson Valley knew Luis. I have a very rare 16mm print of one of his most elusive features - PASSPORT TO HEAVEN (aka I WAS A CRIMINAL). I also gave him billing in the trailer I made for DANCING PIRATE: