Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vautrin

Get Your Kicks, Etc. On Route 66

10 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I think Soupy is okay, as the character is pretty goofy. Yeah, the pie fight went on a bit too long.

Only a few shows left. ShoutFactoryTV has the first of the two part episode, but not the second,

at least so far.

If you have not seen them, the two-parter is pretty good.  If I remember correctly there is no recap of part one at the beginning of the second part.  I think it could have been done better as a single episode though.  But that is just from having viewed them a few times.

I did find the second part the other day. But first, the happiness is not a mixed up kid with a warm gun episode. In a small dance place/restaurant in Florida the kids are grooving to the jukebox music while Linc and Tod have stopped over for some burgers on their way to their next destination. A alienated James Dean type teenage loner tries to dance with a girl but she isn't interested. He has a minor run in with the local cop. But they are actually kind of friends, so the cop offers to walk the kid home. Then the kid hides from the fuzz and climbs into a warehouse and the policeman follows. The kids climbs up on a big load of crates and, in jumping from one side to the other causes some the crates to fall to the floor, killing the cop and hurting his own hand. He takes the cop's gun and takes off. Who should he run into while escaping but Tod and Linc leaving town in the 'vette. He kidnaps them at gunpoint and takes them to a warehouse by the train tracks. Tod goes out to get some first aid materials for the kid's hand when he runs into the group of high schools jocks and other teens who have turned into a mini goon squad. They eventually follow Tod and find out where the kid is hiding. They pursue him down to the beach and surround him. He realizes his situation is hopeless and gives up as the police pull up to take him away. Okay episode with the familiar teen loner character ostracized by his peers and those peers turning into vigilantes, at least to some degree. I found it a little unbelievable that the crates just happened to fall in such a way that they killed the cop instead of only injuring him, but I guess it's possible. And then there were three--the two part episode and then the final episode trip on old Route 66.

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I did find the second part the other day. But first, the happiness is not a mixed up kid with a warm gun episode. In a small dance place/restaurant in Florida the kids are grooving to the jukebox music while Linc and Tod have stopped over for some burgers on their way to their next destination. A alienated James Dean type teenage loner tries to dance with a girl but she isn't interested. He has a minor run in with the local cop. But they are actually kind of friends, so the cop offers to walk the kid home. Then the kid hides from the fuzz and climbs into a warehouse and the policeman follows. The kids climbs up on a big load of crates and, in jumping from one side to the other causes some the crates to fall to the floor, killing the cop and hurting his own hand. He takes the cop's gun and takes off. Who should he run into while escaping but Tod and Linc leaving town in the 'vette. He kidnaps them at gunpoint and takes them to a warehouse by the train tracks. Tod goes out to get some first aid materials for the kid's hand when he runs into the group of high schools jocks and other teens who have turned into a mini goon squad. They eventually follow Tod and find out where the kid is hiding. They pursue him down to the beach and surround him. He realizes his situation is hopeless and gives up as the police pull up to take him away. Okay episode with the familiar teen loner character ostracized by his peers and those peers turning into vigilantes, at least to some degree. I found it a little unbelievable that the crates just happened to fall in such a way that they killed the cop instead of only injuring him, but I guess it's possible. And then there were three--the two part episode and then the final episode trip on old Route 66.

What you describe is a stand alone episode, not part of the two part finale.  It actually comes before the two part finale if they are shown in proper order. 

The above episode is Follow the White Dove with the Broken Wing, broadcast Feb. 21, 1964.  The two part finale is Where There's  A Will, There's A Way, broadcast March 6 and 13, 1964.

7 hours ago, TheCid said:

What you describe is a stand alone episode, not part of the two part finale.  It actually comes before the two part finale if they are shown in proper order. 

The above episode is Follow the White Dove with the Broken Wing, broadcast Feb. 21, 1964.  The two part finale is Where There's  A Will, There's A Way, broadcast March 6 and 13, 1964.

I should have made it clearer and separated my remark from the review of the stand alone episode.  Interesting thing about the episode To Kill a King , the one about a political assassination that was supposed to air a week after the JFK assassination but of course was cancelled. According to the main article in Wiki it was only added when the show went into syndication, but according to the Wiki list of episodes, it ran the week after the two-part finale, not that it matters now. It certainly doesn't have the air of an end to things like I assume the two part finale had. That's why I posted and then there were three.

• Thanks 1

Tod and Linc are in Florida working a boat selling gig. Now the backstory. A rich con artist has died. The rich con artist met Tod before and was impressed by him. Don't know if impressing a conman is a good thing or a bad one. Anyhow, the con artist has left a will that concerns his one daughter and his four siblings. If the daughter will marry Tod within 14 days each relative will get $100,000. Then the executor of the will, played by Chill Wills, will choose one of the six, the five relatives and Tod, to receive $4,000,000 dollars. Meanwhile back at the ranch Linc says that he is getting tired of the traveling, meeting assorted American kooks lifestyle. A general has contacted him to teach some villagers to defend themselves against their enemies. Sort of a Magnificent One, as Tod remarks or The One Samurai. Tod dates the daughter, played by Barbara Eden, and they fall in love and marry. Tod is not aware of the  $100,000 deal but just before the ceremony, Chill tells him about the $4,000,000 one. Linc sees an article about the marriage in the paper and thinks something is wrong and heads for the chapel, but Tod and Barb have left in a taxi for their honeymoon. Suddenly the taxi seems to stall on a bridge. The driver asks Tod to look under the hood and then suddenly hits him with a wrench and throws him into the river below, which greatly upsets Barb. It's clear that one of the relatives wants to get rid of Tod and improve the odds of getting the four million. To be continued.......Pretty good episode done in a light-hearted manner and zooming in on the eccentric members of this con artist's family. I'm sure Tod will not end up a corpse at the bottom of the river.

First of two parts.  Both shows are amusing and interesting.  However, it does tend to drag out if you try to watch both at the same time.  Also, the second part (IMO) suffers more because you are dealing with the same characters again.  To me, there is too much about Eden's 3 uncles and 1 aunt.

True, but I suppose they were kind of stuck with that plot and had to complete it. Yeah, the characters are

unusual and interesting, but not enough for two episodes. One of those older Hollywood stars, Nina Foch,

plays the aunt. Of course she wasn't exactly a major star. I enjoyed Chill Wills as Monty, the executor of

the will. Chill Wills often played that type of character, the laid back, fast talking conman and that raspy

voice kills it.

Last we saw of Tod he was being throw into the river and not coming up. A large search party is now out looking for him, with some folks thinking he is dead. But he has come up of the river with no way seeing him and then makes himself known to Linc and his new bride, Barbara Eden. Using a number of disguises, the two buddies manager to get the three uncles out of the country and one of them out of this world. Sorry, but Martin Milner is no Fidel Castro. Linc also learns that the general who was going to send him on the mission to South America was the the uncle who was involved in a number of military coups and was sending Linc there to get him out of the way. With the three uncles gone, it turns out that the aunt has married Monty, the man who will decide who will get the 4 million dollars. They think that Monty might give his new bride that windfall. But he has decided to give the money to Interpol. That wraps things up. Of course everyone still has their 100,000 they received when Barbara married Tod in the allotted time. Not a bad chunk of change in 1964 or even today. Tod also gets the Corvette back which was scheduled to be on its way to the U.S.S.R. All's well that ends well. The Linconator is headed back to his home in Texas and since Tod and Barb are driving to Houston they offer him a lift. Linc says the Corvette is a two seater and he will get back to Texas on his own. Linc puts the luggage in the back seat and, in the final shot, we see him head up the road with the vette in the foreground. That's all folks. From what I've read a lot of the shows of that era didn't have a finale that wrapped the series up. Route 66 had a pretty cool one. I suppose marrying Barbara Eden made all those nights spent in motels and meeting a lot of flaky chicks worthwhile. And it was time for two guys who weren't getting any younger to settle down.

• Like 1