Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Below is the type sign travelers would have actually seen on Route 66.  Each state had its name on its section.

US 66 Arizona Route Marker Shield Sign

Before leaving lovely Cleveland, Ohio I will point out one very minor thing that had me a bit

amused. Buz buys a rather large custard cone (hamburgers 40 cents). He eats less than

half of it and then throws it in the garbage. Hey man, you've got to go green, dig.

• Like 1

Why is this on off topics?  I know it is about a TV series, but so is Murder She Wrote.

6 hours ago, TheCid said:

Episode 27 in Season Two, originally shown Apr 20, 1962.  Next episode is about a girl with her foot stuck in a rock as tide is coming in and Buz is racing around trying to find someone to help.  Then Buz drops out for a while, but comes back.

Funny one coming up in about 11 more episodes features Lon Chaney, Jr., Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre.  I think it was a Halloween show. 

I was watching a Mecum's auction this morning and they made reference to Route 66 as they were selling a 1960 Corvette - it went for $105,000.  The one in the series was always blue as it photographed better.  Each year they got a new one with no explanation.  Chevrolet insisted.  They could only drive the car when filming.  

Below is a Wiki link that lists all the episodes with a very brief description and the titles.  There are sites with more details.  One of the interesting things is the titles.  I think Sterling Silliphant came up with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Route_66_episodes#Season_2_(1961–62)

Yes, the boys put a lot of miles on the 'vette going from Cleveland to coast of California close to Catalina. This was one of the sillier episodes I have seen so far. They are staying at a shack close to the ocean and are either just taking a little vacay or are doing some kind of scuba related work, I wasn't quite clear on that. Tod goes into town to do a few errands and have lunch and Buz stays on the beach. Offshore the lovely Joanna Moore gets a little crazy, jumps off a yacht with a bottle of champagne in her hand and swims toward shore where she engages in some conversation with Buz then she walks up the beach. Somehow she manages to get her foot stuck in the rocks in a narrow inlet where the high tide is starting to come in. First Buz tries to pry her foot out of the rocks. When that doesn't works he takes off up hill and down dale doing everything he can to find help. I thought maybe Tod would come back in the nick of time, but he doesn't. The yacht finally comes back and using their anchor they manage to get Joanna out of her predicament. She doesn't even bother to thank Buz for his help. And Tod is still in town somewhere. Reminds me a little of Marlin Perkins in Wild Kingdom. While Jim fights a family of gators near a quicksand pit I'm going to put a couple of steaks on the grill and mix up a pitcher of extra dry martinis. So if you want to spend half an hour watching George run around this is the episode for you.

Fetv is coming close to showing the last few episodes of season two and then going into season three where George Maharis only appears in some of them. Maybe Tod's father left him four Corvettes but he didn't find out about it until season two. From what I've seen many of the titles are taken from poems or nursery rhymes or things of that sort which is why some sound rather odd. 

33 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Why is this on off topics?  I know it is about a TV series, but so is Murder She Wrote.

Because it was started here. If someone wanted to complain to the mods about the Murder She Wrote thread or the Madonna thread, then they would likely be moved, but I guess no one has. Personally, I don't care, and don't raise a ruckus about stuff being off-topic or in the "wrong" section of the message board. That's not to say that I think that's what you're doing, but rather that it seems to be a favored pastime of some other people around here.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Yes, the boys put a lot of miles on the 'vette going from Cleveland to coast of California close to Catalina. This was one of the sillier episodes I have seen so far. They are staying at a shack close to the ocean and are either just taking a little vacay or are doing some kind of scuba related work, I wasn't quite clear on that. Tod goes into town to do a few errands and have lunch and Buz stays on the beach. Offshore the lovely Joanna Moore gets a little crazy, jumps off a yacht with a bottle of champagne in her hand and swims toward shore where she engages in some conversation with Buz then she walks up the beach. Somehow she manages to get her foot stuck in the rocks in a narrow inlet where the high tide is starting to come in. First Buz tries to pry her foot out of the rocks. When that doesn't works he takes off up hill and down dale doing everything he can to find help. I thought maybe Tod would come back in the nick of time, but he doesn't. The yacht finally comes back and using their anchor they manage to get Joanna out of her predicament. She doesn't even bother to thank Buz for his help. And Tod is still in town somewhere. Reminds me a little of Marlin Perkins in Wild Kingdom. While Jim fights a family of gators near a quicksand pit I'm going to put a couple of steaks on the grill and mix up a pitcher of extra dry martinis. So if you want to spend half an hour watching George run around this is the episode for you.

Fetv is coming close to showing the last few episodes of season two and then going into

* season three where George Maharis only appears in some of them. *

Maybe Tod's father left him four Corvettes but he didn't find out about it until season two. From what I've seen many of the titles are taken from poems or nursery rhymes or things of that sort which is why some sound rather odd. 

*Season 3 was a really rough time for the series and for all of us George Maharis fans. All that traveling around and liver issues had given George a bad case of hepatitis. And he was really very sick. As a result, Marty had to pull double duty although they did get in some guest stars to help him out from time to time.

Marty, being a big family man, even resented this more because it took more time away from his personal life. But in all fairness, I'm sure Marty was more than a little jealous of George's unbelievable fandom.

Me being an adolescent fan oh, I bought every movie mag / TV mag I could get concerning George's condition. And what I kept on hearing from George was that Marty refused to even go to the hospital to visit him. Go figure?

Thus, This became a big issue not just for the show but also for the fans.

I don't know how long this Feud lasted, but decades later in the 90s I was still surprised to see the two of them getting along quite well in a reunion on Vicki Lawrence's talk show. I don't know how long she did that show, but I also saw Efrem Zimbalist and Edd Kookie Byrnes from Strip on there as well.

And no, I never became a Glenn Corbett fan --but that's coming up eventually, isn't it?

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

I didn't really give it much thought, just shot it into off topics since it wasn't a movie (though there are TV show topics in the movie section). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

*Season 3 was a really rough time for the series and for all of us George Maharis fans. All that traveling around and liver issues had given George a bad case of hepatitis. And he was really very sick. As a result, Marty had to pull double duty although they did get in some guest stars to help him out from time to time.

Marty, being a big family man, even resented this more because it took more time away from his personal life. But in all fairness, I'm sure Marty was more than a little jealous of George's unbelievable fandom.

Me being an adolescent fan oh, I bought every movie mag / TV mag I could get concerning George's condition. And what I kept on hearing from George was that Marty refused to even go to the hospital to visit him. Go figure?

Thus, This became a big issue not just for the show but also for the fans.

I don't know how long this Feud lasted, but decades later in the 90s I was still surprised to see the two of them getting along quite well in a reunion on Vicki Lawrence's talk show. I don't know how long she did that show, but I also saw Efrem Zimbalist and Edd Kookie Byrnes from Strip on there as well.

And no, I never became a Glenn Corbett fan --but that's coming up eventually, isn't it?

Well, the end of the second season sans George episodes have started. The boys are still in California and Tod gets a call from Buz who is in the hospital with a virus. Art imitating life. Then Tod gets involved with Susan Oliver in a dual role, a kooky blonde with a wig as large as a vacuum cleaner and her plain jane sister. But then the question is are they two separate persons or is this a two faces of eve theme. At the end of the episode it turns out to be the latter. Perverse minds wonder if Tod got into some kind of kinky erotic thing. Guess we'll never know. 

I didn't realize that George was such a teen idol at the time, but looking back I can see it. I was into Mantle, not Maharis. But George will be back for part of season three. I've seen Glenn Corbett in other TV shows so I'll wait to see how he does on Route 66. It will be hard to fill George's shoes but they probably won't even try to do that. 

15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Because it was started here. If someone wanted to complain to the mods about the Murder She Wrote thread or the Madonna thread, then they would likely be moved, but I guess no one has. Personally, I don't care, and don't raise a ruckus about stuff being off-topic or in the "wrong" section of the message board. That's not to say that I think that's what you're doing, but rather that it seems to be a favored pastime of some other people around here.

I only wondered because I thought it might get more attention and commentary if on the General Discussions forum.  I didn't find out about the Off Topics forum until years after I first visited the forum.

13 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I didn't realize that George was such a teen idol at the time, but looking back I can see it. I was into Mantle, not Maharis. But George will be back for part of season three. I've seen Glenn Corbett in other TV shows so I'll wait to see how he does on Route 66. It will be hard to fill George's shoes but they probably won't even try to do that. 

Corbett does a pretty good job, but his role is different from Maharis'. 

As for Maharis not being in the series, I think there was probably a contract dispute at some point.  Have noticed that at some point the title shots showed Starring for both of them, whereas I think it began with the Starring tag only at the first shot of Milner and then switched to shot of Maharis. 

Interesting how many episodes had three people in the Corvette.  I looked at a few Corvettes from that period and whoever was in the middle had to be mighty uncomfortable.  Often wondered if they had special "seats" for those scenes.

A Ford Thunderbird from the period would have been more practical, but not as adventurous. 

8 hours ago, TheCid said:

I only wondered because I thought it might get more attention and commentary if on the General Discussions forum.  I didn't find out about the Off Topics forum until years after I first visited the forum.

Corbett does a pretty good job, but his role is different from Maharis'. 

As for Maharis not being in the series, I think there was probably a contract dispute at some point.  Have noticed that at some point the title shots showed Starring for both of them, whereas I think it began with the Starring tag only at the first shot of Milner and then switched to shot of Maharis. 

I've read there were a number of different theories about why Maharis left the series for good. Contract dispute or Maharis wanted to be a movie star. I think Milner's name was always put first, no matter what else changed. Maybe whoever owned the car got first billing. It also seems that George isn't looking at the map as the "navigator" as much as he did earlier in the series. In the second Tod solo episode he visits Buz in the hospital where he has some kind of virus. Maybe it was a social disease. We see Tod in the lobby but Maharis is not seen. There was another strange thing. Tod goes to a bar where a little band is playing in the background. On the bass drum are the letters NRA and an NRA looking logo on it too. I never knew the NRA had its own light jazz band. :)

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Interesting how many episodes had three people in the Corvette.  I looked at a few Corvettes from that period and whoever was in the middle had to be mighty uncomfortable.  Often wondered if they had special "seats" for those scenes.

A Ford Thunderbird from the period would have been more practical, but not as adventurous. 

I was always amused at squeezing a third person into a car with two bucket seats. I guess they didn't mind if it was a cute girl, but if it was some fat guy it must have been uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vautrin said:

I've read there were a number of different theories about why Maharis left the series for good. Contract dispute or Maharis wanted to be a movie star. I think Milner's name was always put first, no matter what else changed. Maybe whoever owned the car got first billing. It also seems that George isn't looking at the map as the "navigator" as much as he did earlier in the series. In the second Tod solo episode he visits Buz in the hospital where he has some kind of virus. Maybe it was a social disease. We see Tod in the lobby but Maharis is not seen. There was another strange thing. Tod goes to a bar where a little band is playing in the background. On the bass drum are the letters NRA and an NRA looking logo on it too. I never knew the NRA had its own light jazz band. :)

I don't remember that.  Do you know which episode it was or the main story?  Was it the one about the Hungarian wrestler?

5 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I was always amused at squeezing a third person into a car with two bucket seats. I guess they didn't mind if it was a cute girl, but if it was some fat guy it must have been uncomfortable. 

Edgar Buchanan did it twice in an episode in Season One.  He supposedly rode into town from the desert with them.  I think the second time Buz sat on the cover for the top.

There was also an episode where Tod and two girls rode in front, three girls rode on back sitting on cover for top and Linc hung on to the luggage rack.  Something no cop would have allowed today.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I don't remember that.  Do you know which episode it was or the main story?  Was it the one about the Hungarian wrestler?

It's either that one or the one before where Susan Oliver plays a dual role. The band is in the background of the scene and they are only seen twice. The first time I wondered whether I had really seen the NRA on the drum but the second time it was perfectly clear. I'll google around and see it there is anything about it on the internet.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Edgar Buchanan did it twice in an episode in Season One.  He supposedly rode into town from the desert with them.  I think the second time Buz sat on the cover for the top.

There was also an episode where Tod and two girls rode in front, three girls rode on back sitting on cover for top and Linc hung on to the luggage rack.  Something no cop would have allowed today.

Toting "Uncle Joe Carson" around couldn't be good for the suspension system. Seven on a Corvette. Those were the good old days.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

It's either that one or the one before where Susan Oliver plays a dual role. The band is in the background of the scene and they are only seen twice. The first time I wondered whether I had really seen the NRA on the drum but the second time it was perfectly clear. I'll google around and see it there is anything about it on the internet.

I pulled the one about the Hungarian wrestler.  Must be on the other one so I'll go check it.  Sounds more likely.

Found it - the Susan Oliver episode.  To me the NRA and eagle appears to be from the National Recovery Act (FDR) logo.

Well, fetv has put a big old stop stick out on Route 66. They are discontinuing the two weekday showings but fortunately are keeping the two weekend showings. Kind of a bummer. They had teaser ads for about a month--Route 66 coming soon. They they started to show it at the start of June, two episodes every day. So by the end of June the second season was almost over. Now they are cutting it way back to just the weekends. Perry Mason is now back in its usual place before Route 66 started. I guess Tod and Buz were no match for Perry, Della, and Paul. Heck, Peter Gunn was on every weekend for about two years before it was moved into the wee morning hours. Oh well it will still be on though at a much slower speed and with fewer kicks.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Well, fetv has put a big old stop stick out on Route 66. They are discontinuing the two weekday showings but fortunately are keeping the two weekend showings. Kind of a bummer. They had teaser ads for about a month--Route 66 coming soon. They they started to show it at the start of June, two episodes every day. So by the end of June the second season was almost over. Now they are cutting it way back to just the weekends. Perry Mason is now back in its usual place before Route 66 started. I guess Tod and Buz were no match for Perry, Della, and Paul. Heck, Peter Gunn was on every weekend for about two years before it was moved into the wee morning hours. Oh well it will still be on though at a much slower speed and with fewer kicks.

I think Route 66 may be too "cerebral" for many viewers.  The stories generally are far more serious than you would think for two guys on a road trip around America.  That may be why they reduced the showings.  Hopefully they will at least continue it through all four seasons.  There are some pretty good ones ahead.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I pulled the one about the Hungarian wrestler.  Must be on the other one so I'll go check it.  Sounds more likely.

Found it - the Susan Oliver episode.  To me the NRA and eagle appears to be from the National Recovery Act (FDR) logo.

That makes more sense. I wasn't even thinking of FDR's NRA which was about thirty years earlier. I guess these guys believed in if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I think Route 66 may be too "cerebral" for many viewers.  The stories generally are far more serious than you would think for two guys on a road trip around America.  That may be why they reduced the showings.  Hopefully they will at least continue it through all four seasons.  There are some pretty good ones ahead.

Could be. Maybe it was Tod the Yalie quoting too much poetry and name dropping famous writers. I'm not really sure if cable channels care about ratings, but maybe Route 66 just wasn't as popular as Perry Mason, which was the show it replaced, though Perry was still on for one hour instead of two. At least the plots of Route 66 are a lot less complicated that those of Perry Mason. If they had stuck to the original schedule they could have shown the entire series in June and July. Maybe they wanted it to last longer by showing fewer episodes. It just seems like a ripoff considering the big deal they made out of it coming to fetv. The site that has location information for certain episodes didn't have one for the Susan Oliver episode but it did for the Feat of Strength wrestling one. One thing they noted was that some production crew members put up the Prime Oak restaurant sign to cover the actual name of the restaurant. Maybe the owner didn't want the publicity under the real name. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Could be. Maybe it was Tod the Yalie quoting too much poetry and name dropping famous writers. I'm not really sure if cable channels care about ratings, but maybe Route 66 just wasn't as popular as Perry Mason, which was the show it replaced, though Perry was still on for one hour instead of two. At least the plots of Route 66 are a lot less complicated that those of Perry Mason. If they had stuck to the original schedule they could have shown the entire series in June and July. Maybe they wanted it to last longer by showing fewer episodes. It just seems like a ripoff considering the big deal they made out of it coming to fetv. The site that has location information for certain episodes didn't have one for the Susan Oliver episode but it did for the Feat of Strength wrestling one. One thing they noted was that some production crew members put up the Prime Oak restaurant sign to cover the actual name of the restaurant. Maybe the owner didn't want the publicity under the real name. 

Did not know that.  Interesting.

At least they have not dropped it entirely yet, but will take you a lot longer to watch all the episodes.

A few years back GetTV was showing The Thin Man TV series (Peter Lawford), but then dropped it (and others) in order to show "newer" series and more western series.  I pretty much stopped watching GetTV at that point.  

7 hours ago, TheCid said:

Did not know that.  Interesting.

At least they have not dropped it entirely yet, but will take you a lot longer to watch all the episodes.

A few years back GetTV was showing The Thin Man TV series (Peter Lawford), but then dropped it (and others) in order to show "newer" series and more western series.  I pretty much stopped watching GetTV at that point.  

I think the info about the restaurant sign shows that while most of the location shooting was accurate, there was also a little Hollywood "magic" involved on occasion, not that it diminishes the actual locales. If my math is correct, this Saturday will be the last two episodes of season two and Sunday will be the first two episodes of season three. The silver lining in this schedule change is that the episodes won't go by so fast that it's hard to digest one before the next one starts. It was getting a little manic. I remember years ago when TVLand made a big deal out of premiering The Dick Van Dyke Show on their channel. They ran it for a few months in prime time then sent it to the late night or early morning hours. 

The last episode of Season Two is pretty good. The second episode of Season Three is not bad, if you like silliness.  It features Buster Keaton, John Astin, Joe E. Brown and Edgar Buchanan.

My favorites from Season Three are episodes 6-Lizard's Leg.., 25-Cruelest Sea.., 28-What do you do in March.., 30-Shadows...  The last three are set in Florida as are some other episodes.  28 has Susan Kohner and Janice Rule.

ImDB has best descriptions and it has links to find casts.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053534/episodes?season=3