Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7 hours ago, TheCid said:

The last episode of Season Two is pretty good. The second episode of Season Three is not bad, if you like silliness.  It features Buster Keaton, John Astin, Joe E. Brown and Edgar Buchanan.

My favorites from Season Three are episodes 6-Lizard's Leg.., 25-Cruelest Sea.., 28-What do you do in March.., 30-Shadows...  The last three are set in Florida as are some other episodes.  28 has Susan Kohner and Janice Rule.

ImDB has best descriptions and it has links to find casts.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053534/episodes?season=3

I  look forward to seeing them. I was watching a few episodes on YT even before fetv started to show the program. ImDB is especially good for casts, they list just about everybody no matter how small the part. So many of the episodes are so heavy and serious that a little humor is welcomed. Speaking of the NRA again, I received a big package of material about their Guns and Gold Sweepstakes. First prize is fifteen guns and $15,000 in gold with other prizes with fewer guns and gold. You don't have to join the NRA to enter the sweepstakes, so maybe I'll enter. I can sell the gold, keep a few of the guns and sell the rest. Thanks Wayne.

• Haha 1

Tod is still solo with a telephone call to Buz in the hospital just to make sure he hasn't disappeared. Now Tod is working as a camel wrangler at a wildlife park called Jungleland in the LA area.  Good to see that that Ivy League education is finally paying off. Jungleland is many steps above those infamous Florida gator parks. The owner of Jungleland lost his wife when she was killed by a tiger and is building a memorial room in her memory. This doesn't sit too well with...his second wife. Surprise. He also turns out to be a little nutty. He has found out that his first wife had been cheating on him with quite a number of men. He blames one of them for causing her death because this guy wouldn't marry her if she divorced the nutty guy, so she committed suicide by tiger. The nutty guy (played by Peter Graves) takes revenge with the help of his creepy father in law by trapping the cad in a cage and is about to let the tiger in for a late night snack. Fortunately wife two and Tod show up and they persuade nutty guy from letting the tiger kill the cad. And suddenly nutty guy sees the error of his ways and reconciles with wife two in about two minutes flat. Okay. Oh yeah, Tod also corrects a misquote of Keats. Yale baby. If it was I'd get in the 'vette and get the heck out of there ASAP. This episode was a little on the weird side. It was hard to really have an interest in the situation and the characters, at least for me.

The last episode of season two. Tod is still in the LA area and Buz is still in the hospital. This is one of those Tod's girlfriend flashback episodes. Tod falls for a sweet kid and is also working for her mother, a dentist. His job is to soothe the child patients before they have to get in the big chair for dental work. Apparently the mom has some kind of psychological/dental office. Hey, it's California. Her husband produces mechanical amusement figures. He isn't happy because mommy makes more money than he does and he feels out of it. After coming up with a strange "love machine" which no one likes, he does a Timothy Leary and drops out and goes to Mexico to make handcrafted chairs. Tod figures it's time to go macho and goes back to the dentist's office and tells the kids tough ****, the dentist hurts, grow up and act like an adult even if you are a nine year old. Mommy sees the error of her proto-feminist ways and  goes down to Mexico and lets daddy take over again. Tod, happy at this ending, is off for another day on the road. Not a bad episode, interesting as a slight hint of things to come for women's lib. These guys haven't seen anything yet. Come back Shane  Buz.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Tod is still solo with a telephone call to Buz in the hospital just to make sure he hasn't disappeared. Now Tod is working as a camel wrangler at a wildlife park called Jungleland in the LA area.  Good to see that that Ivy League education is finally paying off. Jungleland is many steps above those infamous Florida gator parks. The owner of Jungleland lost his wife when she was killed by a tiger and is building a memorial room in her memory. This doesn't sit too well with...his second wife. Surprise. He also turns out to be a little nutty. He has found out that his first wife had been cheating on him with quite a number of men. He blames one of them for causing her death because this guy wouldn't marry her if she divorced the nutty guy, so she committed suicide by tiger. The nutty guy (played by Peter Graves) takes revenge with the help of his creepy father in law by trapping the cad in a cage and is about to let the tiger in for a late night snack. Fortunately wife two and Tod show up and they persuade nutty guy from letting the tiger kill the cad. And suddenly nutty guy sees the error of his ways and reconciles with wife two in about two minutes flat. Okay. Oh yeah, Tod also corrects a misquote of Keats. Yale baby. If it was I'd get in the 'vette and get the heck out of there ASAP. This episode was a little on the weird side. It was hard to really have an interest in the situation and the characters, at least for me.

The last episode of season two. Tod is still in the LA area and Buz is still in the hospital. This is one of those Tod's girlfriend flashback episodes. Tod falls for a sweet kid and is also working for her mother, a dentist. His job is to soothe the child patients before they have to get in the big chair for dental work. Apparently the mom has some kind of psychological/dental office. Hey, it's California. Her husband produces mechanical amusement figures. He isn't happy because mommy makes more money than he does and he feels out of it. After coming up with a strange "love machine" which no one likes, he does a Timothy Leary and drops out and goes to Mexico to make handcrafted chairs. Tod figures it's time to go macho and goes back to the dentist's office and tells the kids tough ****, the dentist hurts, grow up and act like an adult even if you are a nine year old. Mommy sees the error of her proto-feminist ways and  goes down to Mexico and lets daddy take over again. Tod, happy at this ending, is off for another day on the road. Not a bad episode, interesting as a slight hint of things to come for women's lib. These guys haven't seen anything yet. Come back Shane  Buz.

This is great stuff, and Peter Graves is certainly somebody. But they promised Marty Milner that he'd get some support from some big stars. Are there no big stars in any of these episodes? Or maybe some up-and-coming actors like you always see on Perry Mason--

Like Robert Redford, Leonard Nimoy, Angie Dickinson, or Louise Fletcher just to name a few?

One of my favorite episodes is where Tod and Buz help these Mexican people in a Southwest Village and Thomas Gomez, who I believe was very well versed ( He had toured with the famous Lunt and Fontanne acting troupe.)  has this Pidgin accent.

And Gomez was the leader and was trying to keep the kids in the village together so they wouldn't have to go to away to school. And Tod was trying to help him.

So Gomez was telling the authorities that Tod had gone to "The Yale" and was qualified to teach.

Anyway, you know the authorities actually had the nerve to ask Tod if he had a degree in education! LOL

However, not surprisingly at first, nobody asked Buz to teach because he had been educated in "The Hell's Kitchen". ( Later they offer offer him the primary grades. So he doesn't feel too left out.)

With all of the fighting and fisticuffs that the boys got into, it looks to me like Buz's education paid off more.

13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This is great stuff, and Peter Graves is certainly somebody. But they promised Marty Milner that he'd get some support from some big stars. Are there no big stars in any of these episodes? Or maybe some up-and-coming actors like you always see on Perry Mason--

Like Robert Redford, Leonard Nimoy, Angie Dickinson, or Louise Fletcher just to name a few?

One of my favorite episodes is where Tod and Buz help these Mexican people in a Southwest Village and Thomas Gomez, who I believe was very well versed ( He had toured with the famous Lunt and Fontanne acting troupe.)  has this Pidgin accent.

And Gomez was the leader and was trying to keep the kids in the village together so they wouldn't have to go to away to school. And Tod was trying to help him.

So Gomez was telling the authorities that Tod had gone to "The Yale" and was qualified to teach.

Anyway, you know the authorities actually had the nerve to ask Tod if he had a degree in education! LOL

However, not surprisingly at first, nobody asked Buz to teach because he had been educated in "The Hell's Kitchen". ( Later they offer offer him the primary grades. So he doesn't feel too left out.)

With all of the fighting and fisticuffs that the boys got into, it looks to me like Buz's education paid off more.

Robert Redford is in one, but it is kind of boring.  I read somewhere that Redford and Milner tested for the Tod role and Redford lost. The people in the teaching episode were actually Americans of Hispanic ancestry (to be pedantic).  It was obviously an American village that had lost population and no longer warranted a school of its own.  One feature in it was a debate in the state (New Mexico?) senate where a real senator made a speech to provide money so the school could continue.

Below is an imdb link for cast and crew.  Another imdb link also has the best descriptions of the episodes (short of Vautrin's).  There are a lot of "big" names on the list, but some of them were yet to be big.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053534/fullcredits

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Robert Redford is in one, but it is kind of boring.  I read somewhere that Redford and Milner tested for the Tod role and Redford lost. The people in the teaching episode were actually Americans of Hispanic ancestry (to be pedantic).  It was obviously an American village that had lost population and no longer warranted a school of its own.  One feature in it was a debate in the state (New Mexico?) senate where a real senator made a speech to provide money so the school could continue.

Below is an imdb link for cast and crew.  Another imdb link also has the best descriptions of the episodes (short of Vautrin's).  There are a lot of "big" names on the list, but some of them were yet to be big.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053534/fullcredits

Cid-- of course, I knew that they were Americans, but where I come from that's simply the terminology that's used, because they prefer it that way.

You being pedantic is refreshing to me because people always tell me I'm too pedantic!  LOL

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I think there were more up and coming stars who were still on the way up than old time movie stars, though they would appear on occasion. Most the guest stars were likely the usual suspect character actors who were in lots of TV shows of the time. I remember the episode with Gomez. While you can understand his problem, after he basically kidnapped Tod and Buz and commandeered their car I lost sympathy for him. Maybe Buz could have taught Switchblade/Zipgun 101. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I think there were more up and coming stars who were still on the way up than old time movie stars, though they would appear on occasion. Most the guest stars were likely the usual suspect character actors who were in lots of TV shows of the time. I remember the episode with Gomez. While you can understand his problem, after he basically kidnapped Tod and Buz and commandeered their car I lost sympathy for him. Maybe Buz could have taught Switchblade/Zipgun 101. 

I looked up the dentist episode and I did find one great character actor-- Arthur O'Connell.

He appeared in two film adaptations of the plays of Pulitzer Prize winning Kansas playwright William Inge: Bus Stop and Picnic.

Arthur O'Connell was nominated for the Supporting Actor Academy Award for Picnic and for  An Anatomy of a Murder .

An actor of that caliber would be the kind of help Marty Milner was expecting for going it alone.

The two actresses were June Vincent, who played his wife, and Anne Helm. They both were attractive veteran TV actresses.

Looking Back Now on our classic TV series, which we took for granted then, it's amazing the amount of professional-quality talent which was hired for TV at that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

I looked up the dentist episode and I did find one great character actor-- Arthur O'Connell.

He appeared in two film adaptations of the plays of Pulitzer Prize winning Kansas playwright William Inge: Bus Stop and Picnic.

Arthur O'Connell was nominated for the Supporting Actor Academy Award for Picnic and for  An Anatomy of a Murder .

An actor of that caliber would be the kind of help Marty Milner was expecting for going it alone.

The two actresses were June Vincent, who played his wife, and Anne Helm. They both were attractive veteran TV actresses.

Looking Back Now on our classic TV series, which we took for granted then, it's amazing the amount of professional-quality talent which was hired for TV at that time.

Yes, O'Connell was in it. Very good actor. I think the role he had in Picnic was one of the most reluctant bridegrooms of all time. I thought Rosalind Russell was the one who was going to bring the shotgun. I get a kick out of that relationship every time I see the movie. There were a passel of actors who likely made a good living playing on the different TV series of that time. I think Ed Asner has appeared in two episodes of Route 66 already. 

• Haha 1

Buz is back. The first episode of season three. The guys are off road, driving on the beach in Oregon, which makes sense as they were stuck in the LA area and are now heading north for a job on a salmon boat. Tod falls for the daughter of the woman owner, but there is a problem. She is interested in an older man, a rather mean type played by David Janssen, the soon to be Dr. Richard Kimble. Tod is walking along the dock quoting the French poet Rimbaud when he runs into David. They fight and Tod gets the better of the good doctor. David says he was once a college egghead but WW II came along and he was in it. He was traumatized by an experience with Jerry and turned into the bastard he is now, doing all he can to mess up Tod and Buz's salmon fishing. This ends with another fight with Tod and Dave falls into the ocean and doesn't come up. At the finale Tod is musing while looking over the sea, wondering what happened to Janssen. Then a coast guard patrol boat comes in with David wrapped up in a blankie and looking bedraggled but alive. The girl that Tod has been romancing comes down to the dock and goes off with...Janssen. Ouch. Kimble was always popular with the ladies. It's funny to see Janssen on this series because in the next year he too would be travelling around the country, though in a much less carefree way than Tod and Buz. Another episode that is okay but kind of a downer as far as subject matter goes. The mother who owns the boat and company was played by Signe Hasso, sort of an old movie star if not a big one.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Buz is back. The first episode of season three. The guys are off road, driving on the beach in Oregon, which makes sense as they were stuck in the LA area and are now heading north for a job on a salmon boat. Tod falls for the daughter of the woman owner, but there is a problem. She is interested in an older man, a rather mean type played by David Janssen, the soon to be Dr. Richard Kimble. Tod is walking along the dock quoting the French poet Rimbaud when he runs into David. They fight and Tod gets the better of the good doctor. David says he was once a college egghead but WW II came along and he was in it. He was traumatized by an experience with Jerry and turned into the bastard he is now, doing all he can to mess up Tod and Buz's salmon fishing. This ends with another fight with Tod and Dave falls into the ocean and doesn't come up. At the finale Tod is musing while looking over the sea, wondering what happened to Janssen. Then a coast guard patrol boat comes in with David wrapped up in a blankie and looking bedraggled but alive. The girl that Tod has been romancing comes down to the dock and goes off with...Janssen. Ouch. Kimble was always popular with the ladies. It's funny to see Janssen on this series because in the next year he too would be travelling around the country, though in a much less carefree way than Tod and Buz. Another episode that is okay but kind of a downer as far as subject matter goes. The mother who owns the boat and company was played by Signe Hasso, sort of an old movie star if not a big one.

Never cared for that episode so have not watched since I got the DVD set. Title is One Tiger to a Hill and originally broadcast Sep. 21, 1962 as first episode of Season Three. Buster Keaton, Edgar Buchanan, Joe E. Brown and others are in next episode which is more humorous and takes place in MO.  Next episode is in Chicago and then the next is in California.

I think Buz is in about 11 more episodes and then one more appearance later.

One interesting aspect was the jobs they had were often above entry level, even though they were there only a short time.  I think some of the episodes they actually mentioned being on a job for weeks, so not a new job every week.

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Never cared for that episode so have not watched since I got the DVD set. Title is One Tiger to a Hill and originally broadcast Sep. 21, 1962 as first episode of Season Three. Buster Keaton, Edgar Buchanan, Joe E. Brown and others are in next episode which is more humorous and takes place in MO.  Next episode is in Chicago and then the next is in California.

I think Buz is in about 11 more episodes and then one more appearance later.

One interesting aspect was the jobs they had were often above entry level, even though they were there only a short time.  I think some of the episodes they actually mentioned being on a job for weeks, so not a new job every week.

It is pretty depressing despite the hopeful ending. The only interest I found in it was David Janssen playing a role the opposite of the usually mild-mannered Dr. Richard Kimble. Buz will still be around for a little longer. He was champing at the bit to get in on some of the fight action but Dave made it clear he was only interesting in fighting Tod. I thought the girl who was interested in Janssen looked much younger than he did but I did some checking and the actress, Laura Devon, was born in the same year as Janssen, 1931. Could have fooled me.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

What is all this with Tod and Rimbaud? I was a French major and we barely read Rimbaud. Hugo, Baudelaire, Apollinaire, Prevert, or even Verlaine-- those were the hot and heavy Poets of the 19th and 20th Century.

In undergraduate school the students snickered every time you mentioned Rimbaud during a lecture. But when I went back to graduate school in the 90s oh, it was a different story.  People were awestruck by Rimbaud. What a difference 20 years can make. LOL

I watched David Janssen on CBS in "Richard Diamond" in the late 50s, where he played a private detective. And his telephone operator/ secretary was a leggy girl, cuz you only saw her beautiful legs with all these silk stockings; her name was Sam. I remember this because later we found out that Sam was Mary Tyler Moore!

With Buz back, things are starting to look up

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yes, O'Connell was in it. Very good actor. I think the role he had in Picnic was one of the most reluctant bridegrooms of all time. I thought Rosalind Russell was the one who was going to bring the shotgun. I get a kick out of that relationship every time I see the movie. There were a passel of actors who likely made a good living playing on the different TV series of that time. I think Ed Asner has appeared in two episodes of Route 66 already. 

I think I have seen all the episodes of Route 66, and I do remember Ed Asner. Wikipedia has some interesting information compiled about the show. The Guest Stars section at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_66_(TV_series)  gives many of the names of the guest stars.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

What is all this with Tod and Rimbaud? I was a French major and we barely read Rimbaud. Hugo, Baudelaire, Apollinaire, Prevert, or even Verlaine-- those were the hot and heavy Poets of the 19th and 20th Century.

In undergraduate school the students snickered every time you mentioned Rimbaud during a lecture. But when I went back to graduate school in the 90s oh, it was a different story.  People were awestruck by Rimbaud. What a difference 20 years can make. LOL

I watched David Janssen on CBS in "Richard Diamond" in the late 50s, where he played a private detective. And his telephone operator/ secretary was a leggy girl, cuz you only saw her beautiful legs with all these silk stockings; her name was Sam. I remember this because later we found out that Sam was Mary Tyler Moore!

With Buz back, things are starting to look up

I guess Tod was ahead of his time. I didn't major in French, but for my own interest I took the introductory course in French Literature. The two textbooks had brief introductions to each poet and a small selection of their poems. You can only cover so much in a relatively short period of time. I believe Rimbaud was one of those poets but the professor seemed to pay more attention to Baudelaire. Tod and Buz were walking along the dock and whatever they were talking about Tod thought that a fragment of Rimbaud would be appropriate to the discussion. I think his reputation did rise quite a bit over time as happens to other writers. I like Sinclair Lewis but I don't think he will make much headway in the future. I like Buz, he's quite a character. I was reading an interview on the internet that George Maharis did about twenty years ago. He said that though his personality was difference from Martin Milner's they got along pretty well. 

6 hours ago, Marianne said:

I think I have seen all the episodes of Route 66, and I do remember Ed Asner. Wikipedia has some interesting information compiled about the show. The Guest Stars section at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_66_(TV_series)  gives many of the names of the guest stars.

According to IMDb Asner was in five episodes of Route 66. Quite impressive for a show that was on for four seasons. Most of the guest stars are the solid character actor type with a few old time movie stars and a few future movie stars in the mix. There is also a site that visits the locales with pictures showing the difference between the locations as they were back in the early 1960s and now. It covers about 25 or 30 episodes.

9 hours ago, Vautrin said:

According to IMDb Asner was in five episodes of Route 66. Quite impressive for a show that was on for four seasons. Most of the guest stars are the solid character actor type with a few old time movie stars and a few future movie stars in the mix. There is also a site that visits the locales with pictures showing the difference between the locations as they were back in the early 1960s and now. It covers about 25 or 30 episodes.

Can you post the URL for this site? I would be interested in seeing the comparisons.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

What is all this with Tod and Rimbaud?

I think it is whoever is writing the scripts and the producers.  Some of the dialogue was very "high brow" for a weekly TV drama show in the early 60's.

I too remember, barely, MTM's legs in Richard Diamond.

8 hours ago, Marianne said:

Can you post the URL for this site? I would be interested in seeing the comparisons.

Yes, here it is, http://www.ohio66.com/ . It covers a little over 20 episodes, many of them in

Ohio as the name indicates. I don't know if anyone is working on doing more episodes. I hope

so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A welcome change of pace after the rather dark Oregon episode. Buz and Tod have a few days off before they head to their next work assignment and find themselves in rural Missouri, though I believe this one was actually shot in California. They decide, or rather Buz decides, to get in a little fishing before they head out again. They become involved with two brothers, played by Buster Keaton and Joe E. Brown. This turns out to be a shaggy dog type of story complete with an actual shaggy dog. Keaton is a jinx who messes things up all the time including capsizing a rowboat with Buz along. Keaton's run of bad luck continues until Buz spots a four lead clover and then things get better. Brown is involved with his granddaughter in a missing engagement ring legal matter. Things turn out alright in the end. The ending scene is funny. The cute granddaughter is sitting between Buz and Tod in the vette when Tod goes into one of his psychological mumbo jumbo lessons. The girl doesn't know what the heck Tod is talking about and turns to Buz and they start making out while Tod sheepishly look on. This is a charming little episode, one of the few where there is no deep dark secret hidden in the small town.

• Like 1

I just watched an episode way later in the third season.  Tod is a "merman" with 30 "mermaids" at Weeki Wachee in Crystal River FL and Diane Baker is a mermaid.  Fairly amusing and filmed on location.

Right now I'm watching the episode that had my favorite title:  Ever ride the waves in Oklahoma?

This takes me back to 1962 and the beginning of the surfing craze and The Beach Boys.

Fantastic Discovery here though, the episode was written by Borden and Frank Chase. They're well-known screenwriters but they're also the father and the brother of Fred Astaire's dancing TV partner, Barrie Chase.

TV actor Jeremy Slate  guest stars and he had a TV series somewhere back in the day plus I've seen him on a few Perry Mason's.

I'll have to see if the title lives up to my memories. LOL

So people participating on this thread are watching or rewatching Route 66 now? (Great idea, by the way.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marianne said:

So people participating on this thread are watching or rewatching Route 66 now? (Great idea, by the way.)

Marianne, when I was a kid I watched all those episodes so many years ago on TV.

When the DVDs came out I bought some of them and that's been about 10 years ago.

I have a pretty good memory but if I see one that I really liked a lot I'll rewatch it.

Do you remember the original series on CBS?

Or did you pick this up on DVDs?

5 hours ago, TheCid said:

I just watched an episode way later in the third season.  Tod is a "merman" with 30 "mermaids" at Weeki Wachee in Crystal River FL and Diane Baker is a mermaid.  Fairly amusing and filmed on location.

That sounds like his dream job. I didn't want the synopsis of the Buster Keaton episode to run too long, but at the beginning Tod and Buz come to a fork in the road. Buz wants to go fishing but Tod wants to go to a vacation camp for upper class girls. They toss a coin and Tod loses. And Keaton's character's first name was Jonah.

4 hours ago, Marianne said:

Fetv on DirecTV started to run Route 66 in June. They were showing two episodes a day but have since cut back to two episodes on Saturday and Sunday. I missed the show the first time around so I'm enjoying it now.

• Like 1