Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A United Artists Retrospective Scrapbook: 1922-1924

Carnival, although not listed when I first checked, was handled by UA in 1921, but it was so popular it was rereleased in 1922.

Carnival_(1921)_-_1.jpg

George Arliss was a retiree who was not willing to give up on the idea of working in The Ruling Passion. A copy exists in Moscow.

Therulingpassion-1922-newspaperadvert.jp

Another lost film here: Nazimova in Ibsen's A Doll's House

Nazimova_A_doll's_house.jpg

Fair Lady was a romantic drama. It is not known if it still exists.

Fair-Lady.jpg

The Glorious Adventure, a romantic drama set at the time of the London fire, was one of the earliest films in color. It is said to still exist.

The_Glorious_Adventure_1922_newspaper.jp

A Tailor-Made Man is a comedy that it is unknown if it still exists....

A_Tailor-Made_Man_(1922)_-_Grandin_&_Ray

The Three Must-Get-Heres was a 37 minute short spoof of Fairbanks' The Three Musketeers. It still exists.

The_Three_Must_get_Theres.jpg

George Arliss starred in another film he would remake in the sound era, The Man Who Played God. A print survives in Moscow.

Themanwhoplayedgod-1922-newspaperadvert.

DW Griffith made One Exciting Night; its against type for him. It is still visible today.

MV5BMTQ1MTM5MDg4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzU3

A Woman's Woman is indeed lost, it seems.

A_Woman's_Woman_(1922)_-_Alden_&_Herbert

Douglas Fairbanks had one of his most popular roles in the successful and expensive Robin Hood.

Douglas_Fairbanks_Robin_Hood_1922_film_p

Mary Pickford appeared in a remake of an earlier film of hers, the drama Tess of the Storm Country. She received raves as many felt that it improved her range as an actress.

Tess_of_the_Storm_Country_poster.jpg

The Girl I Loved was a romantic drama lost to the ravages of time.

The_Girl_I_Loved_(1923)_lobby_card.jpg

The Shriek of Araby (still around) was Mack Sennett's spoof of the Rudolph Valentino hit, The Shiek.

Shriek_of_Araby_lobby_card.jpg

Mae Marsh and Ivor Novello starred in Griffith's romantic drama The White Rose. Only one blurry print (which can be seen online) still exists

White_Rose_lobby_card.JPG

Ernst Lubitsch directed Mary Pickford in the romance Rosita.

Rosita_1923_film_poster.jpg

Garrison's Finish starred Jack Pickford, Mary's Brother

MV5BMDM4NzdmMDYtYWZjNC00NzFiLWFjMDMtM2Zm

Mae Marsh starred in Paddy, The Next Best Thing

MV5BZGJhMjA1MDMtZWFiNy00NjQ2LWE2MDQtZDI0

Mabel Normand made one of her final appearances as a hispanic peasant in Suzanna.

Suzanna_(1923).jpg

Wallace Beery became the famous king, Richard the Lion-Hearted

Wallace_Beery_Kathleen_Clifford_DR-987x7

Nazimova was back playing the notorious Salome.

220px-SalomePoster.png

Although he was one of the founders of the company, due to a contract with First National, Charlie Chaplin didn't make his first film for UA until 1923. He surprised many by deciding to start with a drama that he only had a cameo in: A Woman of Paris.

Long_Poster_of_A_Woman_of_Paris_A_Drama_

DW Griffith took on the revolutionary war in America.

America_1924_lobbycard.jpg

Fairbanks became The Thief of Baghdad.

The_Thief_of_Bagdad_(1924)_-_film_poster

Pickford received a costume film....

Dorothy_Vernon_of_Haddon_Hall_-_film_pos

Meanwhile, the other Pickford was in the countryside.

MV5BYjkxNmQxYmYtMDE5Ny00NGFmLThkYmYtOWQw

Loving Lies was a romance.

220px-Loving_Lies_poster.jpg

Mae Marsh returned with A Woman's Secret

220px-Flames_of_Passion_1922_American_lo

This was the only picture I could find for No More Women...

RSD73861.jpeg?v=1496883889

And Griffith made another 1924 film

Isn't_Life_Wonderful_-_lobby_card_1924.j

• Like 3

I agree about those lobby cards. This is some really great work by CinemaInternational. However, I have seen none of the films. I join others who wish this work could be displayed in its own dedicated thread. (I do NOT mean shoved into the Problems with Message Boards)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thenryb said:

However, I have seen none of the films.

Prior to watching silent films on TCM on Sundays nights, some of these films I saw in the in 1980s. Movies Unlimited had a huge catalog of silents on VHS, and I bought one copy at least every other month. Also, I lived fairly near The Stanford Theater in Palo Alto, CA at the time, and they showed quite a few silent films as well (organ accompanist included.) They also had prints of a few of these wonderful lobby cards!

18 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

it seems that one internet resource I was using did not contain all the films UA made due to them having several additional pocket companies in those early days. So I just went and added the others here, thanks to my trusty 1986 copyright book The United Artists Story.

Thanks for your accuracy.

I've seen a few of these. Woman of Paris is one of Chaplin's weakest and not particularly interesting. Max Linder is a decent comedian of the time who is unfortunately overshadowed by the Vaudevillian "classics" and of course Lloyd, Keaton too. Robin Hood is one of Fairbanks' best but not as good as his Three Musketeers. Better yet is still Thief of Bagdad is his greatest. The sets, effects, acting, etc. are so intricate and high quality (including a flying carpet done with the use of an 80 foot crane). The Mongol Prince is also one of my favorite silent film villains. Also a film with a good ethical message at the end.

tumblr_n1j59loXGg1sr1ki0o2_500.gif

tumblr_mh39jmPmBw1qbuqcio1_400.gif

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings