Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peebs

What was the first movie you remember seeing on the big screen?

What is the first movie you remember seeing in a movie theater?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Jungle Book.     image.jpeg.c495d442918ae8b7d9817b00b24d6051.jpeg

I thought you were older. Or maybe you didn't see any movies in a theater until you were older?

The first movie I remember seeing in the theater was THE FURTHER ADVENTURES WILDERNESS FAMILY (1978). After that, my sister and I were lucky if we got to see one new release per year.

Incidentally we did not get our first television until 1979. 

My mother was very strict.

Now you know why I watch so many movies and classic TV shows today. I'm rebelling against my mother!

If not for her, I wouldn't have gone and gotten a Bachelors Degree in cinema-television.

Lesson: do not deprive your kids of movies and TV shows. It creates people like me. :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I saw The Little Mermaid in the theater when I was 5. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought you were older. Or maybe you didn't see any movies in a theater until you were older?

Hey,  can't I have any secrets?  (ha ha).    I was 10 when I saw The Jungle Book.   I'm sure I did see some films in theaters but I can't recall the experience 50 years later.     Seeing The Jungle Book with my dad is what I do remember.    He was a big fan of Louis Prima (his records were on all the time at the house).   So when my dad found out Prima was a voice in the film,  the film took on a life of its own in our house.   E.g.  I got my first poster and some other stuff that was marketed for the film.   

As for your choice of a vintage Laurel and Hardy film;   Funny,  but I was going to ask you if you're sure you saw this film in a theater and NOT just on T.V.    If in a theater it must have been some type of revival showing (or a fill-the-time showing between the A and B films?). 

15 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for your choice of a vintage Laurel and Hardy film;   Funny,  but I was going to ask you if you're sure you saw this film in a theater and NOT just on T.V.    If in a theater it must have been some type of revival showing (or a fill-the-time showing between the A and B films?). 

No, I saw it first run. They had just opened our first movie theater, and I took my grandson after I got off of work. 

• Haha 1

Just now, LawrenceA said:

No, I saw it first run. They had just opened our first movie theater, and I took my grandson after I got off of work. 

I'm confused;   The film was released in 1927.    Clearly you didn't have a grandson in 1927.   

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm confused;   The film was released in 1927.    Clearly you didn't have a grandson in 1927.   

Maybe they're vampires.

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Or did I...? :o

<scary music> OOooOOOooooOOOooOOO! <long scream> AAAAAAAAaaaaaa....😈👿👺👻💀!!!

[This has been an ongoing joke with me on here, as people occasionally start these kinds of age-sensitive threads, and I've always alluded to being born in the 1910's or earlier. In actuality, the earliest film that I can recall seeing in the theater was The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, but I know I was present for even earlier ones, as my mother was the type to take a baby to a movie theater.]

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

The first movie I remember seeing in the theater was THE FURTHER ADVENTURES WILDERNESS FAMILY (1978). After that, my sister and I were lucky if we got to see one new release per year.

Incidentally we did not get our first television until 1979. 

My mother was very strict. 

That is pretty strict.  You had a lot of catching up to do!  My folks weren't so bad but they wanted me to see "good" movies or what they thought were "good".  So, I got to see The Graduate or Dr. No on TV but not Goonies which I just saw for the first time with my kids last week.  As a parent, it's tough to find movies to take your kids to now.  I may be nostalgic but it seems like we had more movies that the whole family could go to and enjoy.  I don't know if they'll have that same feeling looking back at their first movies or even remember them.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peebs said:

That is pretty strict.  You had a lot of catching up to do!  My folks weren't so bad but they wanted me to see "good" movies or what they thought were "good".  So, I got to see The Graduate or Dr. No on TV but not Goonies which I just saw for the first time with my kids last week.  As a parent, it's tough to find movies to take your kids to now.  I may be nostalgic but it seems like we had more movies that the whole family could go to and enjoy.  I don't know if they'll have that same feeling looking back at their first movies or even remember them.  

My family was Catholic...and my mother was definitely what might be called a fundamentalist Catholic. She did not let us see the movie E.T. in 1982, because she had heard from another mother that one of the boys in the movie swore and I think there was a urine joke. No way was she going to let us see that movie. To this day I've never seen E.T., just clips of it.

My mother's one vice (related to on screen entertainment) was she was a fan of The Edge of Night. She had watched it with her sister in Chicago, before she married my dad and came up to Wisconsin.

We lived in a rural area of western-central Wisconsin and after we got our first television, we could only get CBS and NBC. Two channels! That was it.

Well The Edge of Night had switched networks to ABC. So she would go to a friend's farm, some people we knew that lived about two miles down the road. They had a ginormous antenna on their roof and could get an ABC station from Rochester Minnesota. So my mother would go there every afternoon for coffee and to watch The Edge of Night. If I wasn't in school (due to illness, holiday or summer vacation), I'd have to tag along.

So that is how I became a fan of soap operas a young age. It was one of those rare exceptions, a show we were not supposed to watch, but did watch.

My mother also liked The Big Valley and named me after Richard Long's character. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Related to the slightly different topic of movies seen when we were kids (but not our first one),  that had context that was questionable for a kid;   Two stories on that.

My older brother told me dad was talking us to see One Million Years BC.   I clearly remember running around saying I'm going to see a dinosaur movie.  (I was really into them like a lot of 9 year old kids).     Well my older brother shows me the poster of the film and tells me Dad and him are going to see this film for more than just dinosaurs.     My brother got the poster and it was a few years before I understood what could be more interesting to these two than dinosaurs!    (oh and mom said I couldn't go).

Image result for one million years bc

The other experience is when the entire family went to a drive-in and saw Mash.  I was 13,  but had younger siblings.     The films starts and my up-tight mom starts to yell at my dad.    I was old enough to realize that if my mom hadn't made such a big deal out of things,  my younger siblings may not have noticed much.  But at 13 I did!    That was the last time as a family we ever went to the movies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

My mother's one vice (related to on screen entertainment) was she was a fan of The Edge of Night.

I remember The Edge of Night!  I had a similar experience when visiting my very proper grandmother who faithfully watched As the World Turns.  She also took me to see Smokey and the Bandit thinking it was about Smokey Bear, much to my mother's horror.  Grandma must have liked it because we stayed for the whole movie.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I remember The Edge of Night!  I had a similar experience when visiting my very proper grandmother who faithfully watched As the World Turns.  She also took me to see Smokey and the Bandit thinking it was about Smokey Bear, much to my mother's horror.  Grandma must have liked it because we stayed for the whole movie.  

One movie that my mother failed to check in advance was THE COLOR PURPLE. She must have thought it was about eggplant or something. Anyway, the movie starts, we've all just been seated. And if I recall correctly, there is a sexual abuse scene at the beginning with Whoopi Goldberg's character. She (mom) could see what was about to happen and insisted I go get some more popcorn. We just bought three fresh tubs of popcorn and I was arguing we don't need anymore. Oh, but we do and right now. She wanted to get me out of the theater before the sex scene played out. And she deliberately dropped gum balls on the floor so my sister would have to kneel down to pick them and would miss what was on screen.

She watched that rest of that movie on the edge of her seat, ready to send us hurrying for more popcorn and runaway gum balls. In case there were any other objectionable scenes.

Speaking of purple, she wouldn't let us see PURPLE RAIN. We couldn't even buy the soundtrack. Very sheltered we were. But in a way, I'm glad because there's something charming about retaining one's innocence and naivety long after other kids have become jaded and disaffected.

Years later I found out my mother had been in some gang on the south side of Chicago in her youth. She was a tomboy in those days and was good at sports, and she was part of her male cousin's gang. But we never knew that side of her. I think she became extreme in her religion and decided that my sister and I had to be the complete opposite of what she had been. We were forced to be perfect because she herself wasn't.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

One movie that my mother failed to check in advance was THE COLOR PURPLE. She must have thought it was about eggplant or something...

I didn't see that one in the theater but had a similar experience with Grease,  My friend's mother had endorsed it so my mom took me and the friend (her second time seeing it) to the theater.  We loved it and cheerfully sang the songs on the way home while my mom fumed.  We didn't understand the lyrics but my mom thought that they were pretty filthy.  I think my mom also objected to Sandy's transformation at the end.   I also remember she was particularly scandalized by The Beatles "Drive My Car," for some reason.  

• Like 1

Just now, Peebs said:

I didn't see that one in the theater but had a similar experience with Grease,  My friend's mother had endorsed it so my mom took me and the friend (her second time seeing it) to the theater.  We loved it and cheerfully sang the songs on the way home while my mom fumed.  We didn't understand the lyrics but my mom thought that they were pretty filthy.  I think my mom also objected to Sandy's transformation at the end.   I also remember she was particularly scandalized by The Beatles "Drive My Car," for some reason.  

Of course some things seem a lot tamer now, in hindsight.

• Like 1

C.B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments (his 1956 version, NOT his 1923 version...I'm not NEARLY as old as Lawrence, ya know! ;) LOL) at about age 4 or 5 at one of the grand old movie palaces located in downtown L.A. or possibly at Grauman's Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, can't remember which.

But, what I CAN remember as clear as if it was yesterday is how frightened I was for Martha Scott in the following still taken from this movie, and where if it wasn't for Moses (Chuck Heston) commanding the constructors of the great pyramid to stop moving two enormous stones together after she had caught part of her clothing under one of them while greasing the skids, she'd had ended up a flat as a pancake...

3225588476_0b9b20c3d7_bthumb.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

C.B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments (his 1956 version, NOT his 1923 version...I'm not NEARLY as old as Lawrence, ya know! ;) LOL) at about age 4 or 5 at one of the grand old movie palaces located in downtown L.A. or possibly at Grauman's Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, can't remember which.

That's a long movie for a 4 or 5 year old!