Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peebs

What was the first movie you remember seeing on the big screen?

27 minutes ago, Peebs said:

That's a long movie for a 4 or 5 year old! 

Well, I hate to admit it here Peebs, but I always WAS an extremely precocious child back then!

It wasn't until at about age 17 when I started falling behind all the other kids!;) LOL

(...actually though, I probably DID fall asleep during it right about the time Chuck Heston bellowed, "LET MY PEOPLE GO!")

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

One movie that my mother failed to check in advance was THE COLOR PURPLE. She must have thought it was about eggplant or something. Anyway, the movie starts, we've all just been seated. And if I recall correctly, there is a sexual abuse scene at the beginning with Whoopi Goldberg's character. She (mom) could see what was about to happen and insisted I go get some more popcorn. We just bought three fresh tubs of popcorn and I was arguing we don't need anymore. Oh, but we do and right now. She wanted to get me out of the theater before the sex scene played out. And she deliberately dropped gum balls on the floor so my sister would have to kneel down to pick them and would miss what was on screen.

My parents took my sisters and I (all under the age of 10) to see THE CONVERSATION. My mom spent nearly the entire film with her hands in front of our eyes, ears or mouths! 😄

• Like 1

The first film I ever recall seeing was THE ARISTOCATS. I was four and, according to my father, insisted he walk up and down all the aisles with me about ten times during the film. I made this a nasty habit and my parents thought it might be less distracting to other movie patrons for us to start going to drive-ins instead. That proved to be worse, though, as I would just get out of the car and start walking up to other people's cars to annoy them. Talk about ADD!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Peebs said:

I didn't see that one in the theater but had a similar experience with Grease,  My friend's mother had endorsed it so my mom took me and the friend (her second time seeing it) to the theater.  We loved it and cheerfully sang the songs on the way home while my mom fumed.  We didn't understand the lyrics but my mom thought that they were pretty filthy.  I think my mom also objected to Sandy's transformation at the end.   I also remember she was particularly scandalized by The Beatles "Drive My Car," for some reason.  

I assume it was the 'in-between' lyric:

Asked a girl what she wanted to be
She said baby, can't you see
I want to be famous, a star on the screen
But you can do something in between

I was only 4 or 5 when my Mom took me to a downtown theater to see "Snow White and the Three Stooges". I remember being really bored as the stooges weren't funny as they were in their Columbia shorts. My Mom said I was so restless; I couldn't sit still because I found the film boring and very unfunny. I was constantly wanting to go get candy or a soft drink.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume it was the 'in-between' lyric:

I don't think she even got that far.  I think she came in during the chorus "Baby, you can drive my car" and that was enough.  "Baby, you can drive my car?  What is that supposed to mean?"  Beatles are pretty tame compared to what other kids were listening to.  

6 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I don't think she even got that far.  I think she came in during the chorus "Baby, you can drive my car" and that was enough.  "Baby, you can drive my car?  What is that supposed to mean?"  Beatles are pretty tame compared to what other kids were listening to.  

Funny but I away viewed the line of  'Baby, you can drive my car' as meaning just that;  this was a wantabee Hollywood gal that to feel she was something more than she was wanted a driver to showoff.

But that,  doing something in between,,,,:   that has subtext!

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Funny but I away viewed the line of  'Baby, you can drive my car' as meaning just that;

Me, too! The drive my car part is pretty tame and straight forward but the way he sings "but you can do something in between..." is much more suggestive.  What can I say, Mom wasn't a fan of rock n roll.  It's a great song with a great opening riff, though.

5 hours ago, BrownShoes said:

I think my parents may have dragged me in to see Old Yeller.

That's a tough movie to start out with!

• Like 1

Mary Poppins. It was not the first movie I saw in a theater, but it was the first movie whose title I knew.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BrownShoes said:

I think my parents may have dragged me in to see Old Yeller.

Hmmmm...ya know, this might've been the very first movie I remember seeing at a drive-in with my family.

But in MY case as I recall, I was the one who really wanted to see it and so pressed my parents for this being our movie going selection. Probably saw an ad for it while watching The Mickey Mouse Club.

(...well, that was UNTIL I saw how they had to put Old Yeller out of his misery, and so also remember being not real pleased with how it turned out on the drive home)

38 minutes ago, Peebs said:

That's a tough movie to start out with!

Yea,  Old Yeller and Bambi:  responsible for more kids nightmares than any other films! 

As for the film that gave me my first nightmares;  It is Mystery of the Wax Museum.    The ending scene where Atwill's face melts off really scared me and I had nightmares about fires for weeks.   

• Like 3

Think it was the last 60's revival of Fantasia, since I remember when the old Geneva, NY Smith Opera House used to be a movie theater...

Or 2001 (and sleeping through it, as I slept through all Kubrick until after college), at the other big local ex-palace movie theater before it burned down.

• Like 1

I think I saw all the Disney releases between 1989-1995.  I believe The Hunchback of Notre Dame may be the last Disney animated film I saw.  I still have never seen Mulan, Tarzan, and Hercules

I saw Toy Story in the 6th grade and they're still making more of them.  In fact, right now, out of the films in the theater: Aladdin, Toy Story, Men in Black, Child's Play... All of these came out while I was in elementary/middle school. Now at 35, they're in the theater again. 

I'm waiting for Titanic 2: Titanic Rises from the Sea and The Shawshank Redemption 2: Redeemed Again

When I was little, the drive-in was on its way out.  I think I remember seeing either Wayne's World or The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie at the South Salem Drive-In.  I believe it closed in '93.  In '94 an arsonist finished off the projection booth and concession stand.  Eventually the screens were brought down and a new theater with stadium seating (ooh so fancy in 1999) was built in its place.  The marquee sign for the drive-in was literally just torn down a couple years ago.  It was kind of nice driving past it and remembering what used to be. 

EDIT: I take that back, Child's Play came out when I was in preschool. Then elementary school for 2 and 3. 

• Like 1

Just now, speedracer5 said:

I think I saw all the Disney releases between 1989-1995.  I believe The Hunchback of Notre Dame may be the last Disney animated film I saw.  I still have never seen Mulan, Tarzan, and Hercules

I saw Toy Story in the 6th grade and they're still making more of them.  In fact, right now, out of the films in the theater: Aladdin, Toy Story, Men in Black, Child's Play... All of these came out while I was in elementary/middle school. Now at 35, they're in the theater again. 

I'm waiting for Titanic 2: Titanic Rises from the Sea and The Shawshank Redemption 2: Redeemed Again

When I was little, the drive-in was on its way out.  I think I remember seeing either Wayne's World or The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie at the South Salem Drive-In.  I believe it closed in '93.  In '94 an arsonist finished off the projection booth and concession stand.  Eventually the screens were brought down and a new theater with stadium seating (ooh so fancy in 1999) was built in its place.

Since we all know you're on the up-and-up and have solid character,   we will forgive you for making the vast majority of us feel old.

(well except Lawrence who we all know is over 100 and there wasn't even color when he saw his first film!).

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Since we all know you're on the up-and-up and have solid character,   we will forgive you for making the vast majority of us feel old.

(well except Lawrence who we all know is over 100 and there wasn't even color when he saw his first film!).

Lol.  We should ask Lawrence what it was like going to the nickelodeon! 

Lawrence, what was it like watching movies through that machine that plays the film while you watch through a hole?

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.  We should ask Lawrence what it was like going to the nickelodeon! 

Lawrence, what was it like watching movies through that machine that plays the film while you watch through a hole?

My favorite was Man Waves at Woman. The man actually waved at the woman! It was like magic! I took all my pals out for 2-cent sodas and nickel hamburgers afterward.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

My favorite was Man Waves at Woman. The man actually waved at the woman! It was like magic! I took all my pals out for 2-cent sodas and nickel hamburgers afterward.

2 cents? Per person? Watch out for Mr. Moneybags! 

Did you see Bird Flies Away? I heard that that film was a pioneer in documentary filmmaking. In fact, this film was the inspiration for BBC's Planet Earth

This is a fun thread. Surprised we never touched on this topic before...

• Like 1

The first movie I remember seeing in a theater was really scary.

It was Disney's Bambi and I don't remember much after the part where they shot the mother.  Because after that I hid my face on my grandmother's shoulder and held on to her silk stocking garter cuz I didn't want her to leave the theater without me. I was 3 or 4 and it must have been several years before I got enough courage to enter a movie theater again.

Even though I didn't see much of the movie, I can still remember how beautiful it was.

• Like 1

No censorship in my home. If my mother or father wanted to see a film, we all went. My mother thought it was best I learn about things with family rather than out in the streets.

It was either: embryo-1976.jpg

or latest?cb=20101201172711

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are you sure about SR5? She knows a lot for such a young-un. And she has this thing for Errol Flynn. But I'm sure she can't as old as LawrenceA. I turn 62 this month. I have LPs older than some here.

I can't remember what we watched at the motor movies. Single working Mom had a station wagon. She would back it toward the screen. Big brother and I were in our jammies. I don't remember anything good, but I probably slept for most of the film.

But I do remember The Love Bug at an indoor theater. Also remember Rooster Cogburn and the Lady. Murder on the Orient Express too.

12 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

No censorship in my home. If my mother or father wanted to see a film, we all went. My mother thought it was best I learn about things with family rather than out in the streets.

It was either: embryo-1976.jpg

or latest?cb=20101201172711

That's interesting what you said. Because my mother was very traditional and what you would call a Methodist, pillar of the community type person. So as a child I was only allowed to go to Walt Disney movies.

But, she loved Elizabeth Taylor. So when "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" came out she didn't have anybody to leave me with.

So she took me to the theater. And it was clear that you had to be 12 or over unless you entered with an adult. At that time, I didn't know what was going on in the movie but years later it all came back to me and I figured it out. And that's exactly what she thought at the time, I wouldn't really know what was going on.

"Cat" was my first adult movie as a child and I can still hear Paul Newman saying:

" Maggie, your claws are showing". LOL

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

This is a fun thread. Surprised we never touched on this topic before...

Yes, it IS a fun thread, TB. I agree with ya here.

But no, there have been other threads started in the past around here that have asked this same question, as I remember offering up my earlier The Ten Commandments memory in a couple of the earlier ones in years past.

(...still though, this does not negate this thread of Peebs' being a very fun one, as you said)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes, it IS a fun thread, TB. I agree with ya here.

But no, there have been other threads started in the past around here that have asked this same question, as I remember offering up my earlier The Ten Commandments memory in a couple of the earlier ones in years past.

(...still though, this does not negate this thread of Peebs' being a very fun one, as you said)

One could easily ask about the first foreign film a person ever saw. For me it was DAS BOOT.