Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peebs

What was the first movie you remember seeing on the big screen?

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

One could easily ask about the first foreign film a person ever saw. For me it was DAS BOOT.

Hmmm...ya know and come to think of it TB, I believe Das Boot might have been the very first foreign language film I remember seeing IN a movie theater, back in '81, and after it received glowing reviews from the critics and being nominated for quite a few Oscars that year.

(...fwiw, I would have been 29 years old at the time)

• Like 1

Just now, Dargo said:

Hmmm...ya know and come to think of it TB, I believe Das Boot might have been the very first foreign language film I remember seeing IN a movie theater, back in '81, and after it received glowing reviews from the critics and being nominated for quite a few Oscars that year.

(...fwiw, I would have been 29 years old at the time)

For me it was A Trip to the Moon. I gazed in wonderment at the splendor on the screen. It felt like being there in person. Afterward I had to get back to work if I was going to earn my 25 cents for the week.

FarawayTepidChamois-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

For me it was A Trip to the Moon. I gazed in wonderment at the splendor on the screen. It felt like being there in person. Afterward I had to get back to work if I was going to earn my 25 cents for the week.

LOL

So, still playing up the "Old Man" routine here are ya, Lawrence?! ;)

(...gotta admit it IS funny as hell)

I saw this in the theater as a newborn. I didn't cry or make any trouble the entire film, my mother said.

Titanic_poster.jpg

The first foreign language film I saw was the war film, the Star (Zvezda) when it first came out with my family.

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  Old Yeller and Bambi:  responsible for more kids nightmares than any other films! 

As for the film that gave me my first nightmares;  It is Mystery of the Wax Museum.    The ending scene where Atwill's face melts off really scared me and I had nightmares about fires for weeks.   

When I was a kid, I saw the Fly syndicated on TV and the scene where the spider bites the fly/ professor's head off scared me a lot.

5 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I saw this in the theater as a newborn. I didn't cry or make any trouble the entire film, my mother said.

Titanic_poster.jpg

I saw this movie 3 times in the theater in the 8th grade. I saw it on opening day. My mom went and bought tickets like two days ahead of time so that they wouldn't sell out. This was during the height of the Leo Mania. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen very many foreign films--but in high school, I did see Amelie in the theater with friends and really liked it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

It wasn't El hombre saluda a la mujer 

You better have gone back to work.  That 25 cents doesn't go far when you're spending 2 cents (a person!) buying treats for everyone after spending Saturday afternoon at the nickelodeon! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey,  can't I have any secrets?  (ha ha).    I was 10 when I saw The Jungle Book.   I'm sure I did see some films in theaters but I can't recall the experience 50 years later.   

I think I remember you saying you (and your siblings or friends I think?) saw some Three Stooges shorts at the theater and then kept repeating the jokes in the car afterwards. Right?

1 hour ago, Michael Rennie said:

Are you sure about SR5? She knows a lot for such a young-un. And she has this thing for Errol Flynn. But I'm sure she can't as old as LawrenceA. 

I am a lot older than I look (true story). 

Image result for it's been 84 years gif

8 hours ago, Peebs said:

I didn't see that one in the theater but had a similar experience with Grease,  My friend's mother had endorsed it so my mom took me and the friend (her second time seeing it) to the theater.  We loved it and cheerfully sang the songs on the way home while my mom fumed.  We didn't understand the lyrics but my mom thought that they were pretty filthy.  I think my mom also objected to Sandy's transformation at the end.   I also remember she was particularly scandalized by The Beatles "Drive My Car," for some reason.  

I saw Grease on the TV as a kid and I remember my mom getting upset at the lyrics twice in the film ("did she put up a fight?" and the "f__k you" line in "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee").

7 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I saw Grease on the TV as a kid and I remember my mom getting upset at the lyrics twice in the film ("did she put up a fight?" and the "f__k you" line in "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee").

I don't think they actually say "f you I'm Sandra Dee."  I think Rizzo says something that sounds like f-you, but I'm pretty sure she says something like "hey fungul, I'm Sandra Dee." Researching "fungul," it says it's an Italian curse word that means "f-you." I guess if you're Italian, then that could be seen as a bit controversial.  I'm not Italian, so it didn't even occur to me. 

My favorite song in Grease (not that anyone asked) is "Beauty School Dropout." 

Which by the way... where does the virginal Sandra Dee thing even come from? She has premarital sex in A Summer Place and gets pregnant as a result.  In Gidget she says something to the effect of "The man I'm after sure does want something else, and I'll see he gets it!" Even though ultimately, she doesn't, but things never progressed to that point between her and Kahuna or between her and Moondoggie. In Doctor, You've Got to Be Kidding, Sandra Dee is pregnant and has three different men competing to marry her before the baby comes.  In Take Her, She's Mine, she sends Dad James Stewart a telegram from Paris, where she laments that she's still a virgin. 

I think Sandra Dee is much like Doris Day, unfairly maligned as the eternal virgin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

But no, there have been other threads started in the past around here that have asked this same question, as I remember offering up my earlier The Ten Commandments memory in a couple of the earlier ones in years past.

(...still though, this does not negate this thread of Peebs' being a very fun one, as you said)

The easy ones to find are: 

2005 - http://forums.tcm.com/topic/5201-what-was-the-first-movie-you-remember-watching/

2007 - http://forums.tcm.com/topic/12917-first-movie-you-saw/

2008 - January - http://forums.tcm.com/topic/16447-the-first-movie-you-ever-saw-try-to-remember/

2008 - February - http://forums.tcm.com/topic/17363-what-was-the-first-movie-you-ever-saw/

2010 - http://forums.tcm.com/topic/28566-do-you-remember-the-very-first-movie-you-ever-saw/

2012 - http://forums.tcm.com/topic/40813-what-was-the-first-old-movie-you-ever-seen/

2014 - http://forums.tcm.com/topic/51133-what-was-the-first-film-you-saw-in-the-theater/

2017 - http://forums.tcm.com/topic/127620-which-is-the-first-movie-that-you-ever-watched/

It is interesting to look through them and see posters who are no longer active in the forum. It is interesting also to check the usernames and find so many who: "Last visited: Never" as it makes me conjure visions of people who were delivered the questions and answered them while never bothering to come to the site.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

One could easily ask about the first foreign film a person ever saw. For me it was DAS BOOT.

The only foreign film I can remember seeing in the theater was:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Chinese poster).png

My movie going friends had no interest in reading words while watching a movie.

First foreign language film for me-

220px-La_Belle_et_la_B%C3%AAte_film.jpg

I"ll never forget the audience applauding it when it was over.

8 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

No censorship in my home. If my mother or father wanted to see a film, we all went. My mother thought it was best I learn about things with family rather than out in the streets.

Yikes! These are terrifying movies to start out with. I've never even heard of Embryo but just that poster freaks me out.  I don't think I saw The Omen until I went to a midnight showing on Halloween in college.  Did you remember anything about seeing these movies?  

11 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

When I was a kid, I saw the Fly syndicated on TV and the scene where the spider bites the fly/ professor's head off scared me a lot.

I also recall seeing that as a child and it was scary.    Also really shook up Herbert Marshall  (and it was sometimes hard to get a reaction out of that actor!).

• Haha 2

The first movie I went to the theaters to see was Jurassic Park 2... However, I most likely spent the majority of the film being held by my father outside the actual auditorium. 

The first movie I remember being fairly cognizant of, was Disney's "Emperor's New Groove" (2000) at the historic El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood. I was exactly 5 years old. 

• Like 1

To honestly answer the foreign film question...

I couldn't name the first one that I saw. I watched many that were dubbed, but I don't think I saw an actual subtitled movie until the late 1980's or early '90's, as they just were not available, theatrically, on television or on home video in my area. The first, and so far only, subtitled film that I've seen in a theater was Apocalypto in 2006. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and The Passion of the Christ are the only other subtitled films that have played theatrically in my town, but I didn't see either until DVD.

11 hours ago, SansFin said:

The easy ones to find are: 

Boy, I knew this thread had been done before, but I didn't know THAT many times! And I'm sure I've posted on one or more of those previous threads. I almost feel like I should "look myself up" and make sure I'm not about to contradict myself, but at least as I remember it today, the first movie I ever saw in the theater was a re-release of Mary Poppins in the early '70s. Disney used to bring back one of its classics to the theater every year during that era. That's also how I saw DumboBambiSleeping BeautyCinderella101 DalmatiansThe Lady and the TrampJungle Book and, yes, Song of the South all for the first time. But I'm pretty sure Mary Poppins was the first.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I think Rizzo says something that sounds like f-you, but I'm pretty sure she says something like "hey fungul, I'm Sandra Dee." Researching "fungul," it says it's an Italian curse word that means "f-you." 

You're right.  I remember singing "fungul" not knowing what it meant.  Another knock on the song from my mom's perspective:  "Lousy with virginity.  Won't go to bed 'till I'm legally wed."  Also, "Greased Lightnin'" says it's a real "p*ssy wagon."  That plus Rizzo thinking she was knocked up did not endear this movie to my mom.  I had no idea, though.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Peebs said:

You're right.  I remember singing "fungul" not knowing what it meant.  Another knock on the song from my mom's perspective:  "Lousy with virginity.  Won't go to bed 'till I'm legally wed."  Also, "Greased Lightnin'" says it's a real "p*ssy wagon."  That plus Rizzo thinking she was knocked up did not endear this movie to my mom.  I had no idea, though.  

Don't forget about Danny rubbing the plastic wrap on his crotch during "Greased Lightnin'." 

The T-birds also ask Danny if he got anyone "preg" in "Summer Nights." 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well, I hate to admit it here Peebs, but I always WAS an extremely precocious child back then!

It wasn't until at about age 17 when I started falling behind all the other kids!;) LOL

(...actually though, I probably DID fall asleep during it right about the time Chuck Heston bellowed, "LET MY PEOPLE GO!")

Did you miss the part where Moses said . . .

c17efd039e18560968575f537ec1b623.jpg

"I'll give you my staff when you pry it from my cold dead hands?"

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Did you miss the part where Moses said . . .

c17efd039e18560968575f537ec1b623.jpg

"I'll give you my staff when you pry it from my cold dead hands?"

LOL

Yeah, I must have, Tom! Must've been asleep at the time.

(...this would have been just before Eddie G. says in it, "Myeah! Where's your messiah NOW, see?!", right?!) ;) 

17 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yeah, I must have, Tom! Must've been asleep at the time.

(...this would have been just before Eddie G. says in it, "Myeah! Where's your messiah NOW, see?!", right?!) ;) 

So did you miss this scene, too, Dargo?

800px-The_Ten_Commandments_(1956)_traile

"Now we're in for it, Moses, you big s c h m u c k! The Red Sea in front of us, Rameses behind us! What're you and your God gonna do now, mug? Mother of Mercy, is this the end of Dathan?"

• Haha 2