Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peebs

What was the first movie you remember seeing on the big screen?

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Boy, I knew this thread had been done before, but I didn't know THAT many times! And I'm sure I've posted on one or more of those previous threads. I almost feel like I should "look myself up" and make sure I'm not about to contradict myself, but at least as I remember it today, the first movie I ever saw in the theater was a re-release of Mary Poppins in the early '70s. Disney used to bring back one of its classics to the theater every year during that era. That's also how I saw DumboBambiSleeping BeautyCinderella101 DalmatiansThe Lady and the TrampJungle Book and, yes, Song of the South all for the first time. But I'm pretty sure Mary Poppins was the first.

I am afraid that my GoogleFu is inadequate to find a post of yours in any previous thread on this topic. I admit that I am choosing the low-hanging fruit by searching only for: "first movie" on this site while there may well be many other phrases which were used to express the same concept. It seems also that there isare gaps in the years for which threads and posts may be found. I have found this on previous searches and must wonder if it is due to changes in forum software.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

My favorite song in Grease (not that anyone asked) is "Beauty School Dropout." 

I like all but the title song. Love Hopelessly Devoted To You. Also love Olivia. Other favorite is It's Raining On Prom Night. (Cha-Cha-Cha)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

When I was a kid, I saw the Fly syndicated on TV and the scene where the spider bites the fly/ professor's head off scared me a lot.

My big brother took me to see "The Fly" first run in the movie theater.

You can't believe how horrible David Hedison's fly head looked on that big screen. 

I don't think it was meant to be a kiddie movie.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peebs said:

Yikes! These are terrifying movies to start out with. I've never even heard of Embryo but just that poster freaks me out.  I don't think I saw The Omen until I went to a midnight showing on Halloween in college.  Did you remember anything about seeing these movies?  

Yes, those are the films I remember seeing as a child at the theater. We saw Carrie (1976) around that time also. My brother is ten years older than I am so he normally had to drag me along to whatever film he was going to see.

Movies have never scared me. Its just a show on a screen. As I got older, I didn't bother watching horror films as they just bored me.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

One could easily ask about the first foreign film a person ever saw. For me it was DAS BOOT

You probably should qualify that as foreign language film with subtitles

Leone's A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, and The Good The Bad And The Ugly are foreign films.

But for foreign language film it was either La Stada, or Bicycle Thieves and that was at home on one of the local NYC stations or the Public station WNET. In an art  theater in Missoula, Montana there were I lot I saw but it may have first been Un Chien Andalou

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

You probably should qualify that as foreign language film with subtitles

The reason I didn't qualify my statement as foreign film with subtitles is because for some people, English is a second language. So maybe the first time they saw a Hollywood film in English (without subtitles), that was their first "foreign language" movie experience.

• Like 1

Just now, TopBilled said:

The reason I didn't qualify my statement as foreign film with subtitles is because for some people, English is a second language. So maybe the first time they saw a Hollywood film in English (without subtitles), that was their first "foreign language" movie experience.

makes sense

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Movies have never scared me. Its just a show on a screen.

Well, you're braver than I am.  I'm not a horror movie person but it's the more reality based things that get me.  Like the noises in the attic early in the The Exorcist before all the pea soup.  That small creepy stuff gets me more than the blood and gore.  

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

My big brother took me to see "The Fly" first run in the movie theater.

You can't believe how horrible David Hedison's fly head looked on that big screen. 

I don't think it was meant to be a kiddie movie.

I just saw this movie for the first time a couple years ago.  I was disappointed that Vincent Price wasn't "the fly."

HELP ME! HELP ME! 

I think I liked Jeff Goldblum's remake better. 

18 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Well, you're braver than I am.  I'm not a horror movie person but it's the more reality based things that get me.  Like the noises in the attic early in the The Exorcist before all the pea soup.  That small creepy stuff gets me more than the blood and gore.  

I don't get scared at horror movies either. I get bored.  I thought that The Exorcist was boring.

I like the cheesy horror movies like Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street, because they're more funny than anything else. 

I get very tired of the "people move into creepy house and creatures come after them" type stories. Yawn. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I just saw this movie for the first time a couple years ago.  I was disappointed that Vincent Price wasn't "the fly."

HELP ME! HELP ME! 

I think I liked Jeff Goldblum's remake better. 

David Hedison was cute.  We used to watch him on a TV show called "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".

18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

One could easily ask about the first foreign film a person ever saw. For me it was DAS BOOT.

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hmmm...ya know and come to think of it TB, I believe Das Boot might have been the very first foreign language film I remember seeing IN a movie theater

The first (and only, I believe) foreign movie that I saw in a theater (and by "foreign" I'm assuming you mean a movie not dubbed into English, therefore requiring me to read the whole thing) was I Am Curious (Yellow).

41 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't get scared at horror movies either. I get bored.  I thought that The Exorcist was boring.

I like the cheesy horror movies like Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street, because they're more funny than anything else. 

I get very tired of the "people move into creepy house and creatures come after them" type stories. Yawn. 

Speaking of those days, we never did see the Exorcist. We were walking through the mall, my mother and my grandmother , my mother took one look at that long line and said "That line is too long" , so we went back to shopping. I never got around to seeing it since it was talked about so much, I feel as if I've already seen it.

I did see the sequel on TV though :lol:

• Like 2

I remember going to an old fashion drive-in back in the mid 50s to see THE TEN COMMANDMENTS with Charleton Heston as Moses. I was six years old and we took pillows in case we fell asleep. My dad backed our Plymouth station wagon in the space and dropped the tailgate. We lived in a very small town and many of our friends were there too.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I remember going to an old fashion drive-in back in the mid 50s to see THE TEN COMMANDMENTS with Charleton Heston as Moses. I was six years old and we took pillows in case we fell asleep. My dad backed our Plymouth station wagon in the space and dropped the tailgate. We lived in a very small town and many of our friends were there too.  

One ofthe few times that my dad took the whole family to the drive-in was for me to see "West Side Story". Because they were only showing it at the drive-in. 

Of course, nobody else wanted to see it, but in order for them to have any peace and quiet they decided that it was best just to let me see it and be done with it.

Ironically, it held their interest and they were quite taken with it.

46 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

One of the few times that my dad took the whole family to the drive-in was for me to see "West Side Story". Because they were only showing it at the drive-in. 

I guess you lived in a small town because WSS was in Super Panavision 70 and I don't think drive-ins could show a film in that format.   Even if they could I doubt the viewing experience was a good as what one would get in a theater that was designed for these enhanced picture color and clarity formats.

WSS and other 60s films like Lawrence are films best scene in a theater set up for their format. 

1 hour ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

The first movie I remember seeing at the theater was The Incredibles.

Jesus Christ, I'm old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Jesus Christ, I'm old.

That’s what I was thinking too. 

2el9i55.gif

Mine was LADY AND THE TRAMP( '55)  at the long defunct United Artist theater in Downtown Detroit.  My Grandma took me and my older brother.  

I still kind of laugh about my grandnephew MIGUEL, whose parents took him to movies often when he was that young( 4-5) and him saying, when asked, "Where did you ever see THAT movie?"  that he saw it, "...on the big TV!"   :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Image result for sound of music movieI must have been about 4, I can only recall the early scene of Julie Andrews clicking her heels and singing "I Have Confidence", then I fell asleep.

• Like 1

I was a WEST SIDE STORY fan way before I actually saw the movie. My sister was eight years older than me and she bought the soundtrack album after she saw it at a theater. I listened to the music and read through the album cover many times. Being from a small town in the South, the idea of rival New York street gangs was very intriguing. Especially to an eleven year old just beginning to learn about the world. Also, like a lot of young men, I fell madly in love with Natalie Wood.

• Like 1

I do not remember the title, but doubtless it was one of those Randolph Scott westerns from the 1950s that played on Saturday afternoons at the Coed Theater, Topeka, Kansas:😉

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Jesus Christ, I'm old.

Yesterday at 9:08am sewhite said:

The first movie I ever saw in the theater was a re-release of Mary Poppins in the early '70s. 

OH yeah! You're a regular "Methuselah", alright!

(...as that old saying goes, "I've got ties hangin' in my closet older than you, kid!")

;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

I was a WEST SIDE STORY fan way before I actually saw the movie. My sister was eight years older than me and she bought the soundtrack album after she saw it at a theater. I listened to the music and read through the album cover many times. Being from a small town in the South, the idea of rival New York street gangs was very intriguing. Especially to an eleven year old just beginning to learn about the world. Also, like a lot of young men, I fell madly in love with Natalie Wood.

I did the same thing. In fact I joined the Columbia Record Club so I could get the record for "free" before I ever saw the movie.

Being a young girl, I saw Natalie Wood as a role model. I had no idea she didn't sing the songs.

• Like 1