Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What was the first movie you remember seeing on the big screen?

13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm not a fan of The Shining either, only because I got bored.  But if it's someone's favorite movie, to each his own.

Seems mean to pipe up that one finds a person's favorite movie choice "sad". Definitely a personal criticism there - and very uncalled for. 

People who say things like that will sometimes wonder why others might not want to talk to them anymore. Self-awareness, anyone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, hutz said:

I really enjoyed the book and have been wanting to reread it for some time (my copy is in tatters), however I am not at all bothered by the fact that as an adaptation, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Kubrick often bought up other peoples work and reworked it for his own means and I loved what he did with it.

I've seen it a couple dozen times and I always see something different in it

the downside of course is we never got a faithful adaptation (miniseries doesn't count)

and I'm well above 21, thank you very much

;)  My "over 21" jibe was made due to several in here claiming movies my KIDS saw as late teens and older as their first movie seen on the big screen.

Unless of course, they came from areas SO rural, or had parents that were SO cheap, they never saw ANY movie on the big screen till they were near grown up!  :o  B) 

My biggest problem( or at least ONE of them) with Kubrick's "adaptation" is it became more of a JACK NICHOLSON movie than what the book was about.  And with the effects available to him at the time, the kid doing that dumb "finger puppet" thing and using that gravelly voice was really kinda dumb.  But too, really....

I'm MORE upset at the dismal "adaptation" of SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION (and IMHO the better book of the two...) than what was done with THE SHINING.  But too you might have noticed, many early "book to film" adaptations of King's books were terrible. 

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

many early "book to film" adaptations of King's books were terrible. 

With King movies, it's best to not have read the book.

I think that's why Carrie seems like such a good King movie - I've never read the book.

• Like 1

Well GRAMPS----

At the time CARRIE was made, it would have been tricky to put all in the book into a movie hopefully intended for a wide spectrum general audience  ;)  Tricky, but not impossible IMHO.

Sepiatone

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:27 AM, Sepiatone said:

Well GRAMPS----

At the time CARRIE was made, it would have been tricky to put all in the book into a movie hopefully intended for a wide spectrum general audience.

That's generally always the problem with any novel to screen project.

The one King novel I've read that did nearly all make it to the screen was Misery. Still, the book was a better read than the movie was a watch.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

what about Drive-ins? do they count?

:lol:

Sure.  It WAS asked, "......on the big screen."  And you can't get TOO much bigger!  ;) 

Now, are you referring to the first movie anyone saw at a drive-in?  Or was the first movie you saw at ANY theater a drive-in theater?  

Now, as I earlier mentioned LADY AND THE TRAMP was the first movie I saw at a theater( and it was an indoor movie house) the first one I saw at a DRIVE-IN was VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET ('60) with Jerry Lewis.

Sepiatone

Another variant of this question could be what was the first rated "R" movie you remember seeing on the big screen (or otherwise, I suppose).  I realize that some people here probably remember when the movie rating system started back in 1968. 

JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (color print). Played the Larchmont Playhouse on it's Saturday Christmas show with Santa Claus. The next year my aunt took me to see THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT. I met the Stooges at the RKO Keith's in White Plains and got an autographed photo (which is long gone).

• Like 1
On 7/9/2019 at 8:17 AM, Sepiatone said:

And it seems to me too, that if this board had an age limit of 21 or over, we'd lose HALF or more of the posts in this thread!  :o  :D

Sepiatone

I guess I just make it in under the wire ! (24 and my first go was 21 years ago last month)

• Haha 1

The first movie I think I saw was Scaramouche I vaguely remember a sword fight, next was Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, something about an octopus.  I'm guessing my two older brothers picked the movies.  I was content so long as I had a roll of Necco Wafers from the candy counter. The first film I can really remember enjoying all the way through was The Music Man and I still think it's pretty great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

I was content so long as I had a roll of Necco Wafers from the candy counter.

The first film I can really remember enjoying all the way through was The Music Man and I still think it's pretty great.

But do you still like Necco Wafers?

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I guess I just make it in under the wire ! (24 and my first go was 21 years ago last month)

Heh!  21 years ago Alicia and I were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary!   :o  :huh:

And THAT was my SECOND marriage!  The 1st lasting only 15 years!  ;) (and a 3 year gap 'tween the two).

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Heh!  21 years ago Alicia and I were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary!   :o  :huh:

And THAT was my SECOND marriage!  The 1st lasting only 15 years!  ;) (and a 3 year gap 'tween the two).

Sepiatone

I'm doing the math but I need more information.  This reminds me of a scene in The Coal-miner's Daughter where Loretta Lynn is is doing a radio interview and  being real cagey about how old she is.  Then he asks what year she was born and she proudly states it on the air.

• Haha 1

This subject has been covered here before: 

The first movie I ever saw in a theater was HELP! It was summer and my older brother had to babysit because our Mom worked in the fashion industry. He took me to the neighborhood theater around noon and the movie was in progress. We stayed for the next show-there were 2 Bugs Bunny cartoons first-so we saw HELP! from the beginning. I think we stayed for the cartoons & HELP! again, I recall we arrived home late for dinner.

helpmovieposter.jpg

We were the perfect age for that movie, 5 and 12. I was amazed we could just sit there in the air conditioning all day without having to pay again!

• Like 2
22 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

I'm doing the math but I need more information.  This reminds me of a scene in The Coal-miner's Daughter where Loretta Lynn is is doing a radio interview and  being real cagey about how old she is.  Then he asks what year she was born and she proudly states it on the air.

OK...

Alicia and I were married Sept. 17, 1988 when I was 37...

My first wife and I were married May 6, 1972, two months before my 21st B-day.   

Hope that helps.

And TIKI!  :D Many were the times me and buddies sat through two showings of a double feature, cartoons and all, just to take advantage of the air conditioning.  Long as we got home by supper time our Moms were OK with it.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
On 7/13/2019 at 6:30 PM, AndreaDoria said:

The first movie I think I saw was Scaramouche I vaguely remember a sword fight...

I can certainly understand how that sword fight scene in Scaramouche between Stewart Granger and Mel Ferrer would be memorable enough for you to remember it, and even at so young an age, AD.

(...as it might be the best fencing duel sequence ever put on film) 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Dargo said:

I can certainly understand how that sword fight scene in Scaramouche between Stewart Granger and Mel Ferrer would be memorable enough for you to remember it, and even at so young an age, AD.

(...as it might be the best fencing duel sequence ever put on film) 

:o   You mean......  Even better than THIS???----    ;) 

Wonder how many women bought cans of spinach for their husbands after seeing how it "straightened out" POPEYE'S sword!  ;)

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:o   You mean......  Even better than THIS???----    ;) 

Wonder how many women bought cans of spinach for their husbands after seeing how it "straightened out" POPEYE'S sword!  ;)

Sepiatone

And of course was the ONLY reason I and probably a million other Boomer kids at the time would stomach eating CANNED spinach (YUCK!) we might find on our dinner plate and after an afternoon of watching the exploits of the above squinty-eyed sailor unfold on our old B&W TV sets back in the day.

(...although not that it had anything specifically to do at THAT time with the thought of "straightening out" our "swords" mind you, nor for that matter that OTHER old metaphorical phrase in these regards of "putting lead in your pencil") ;)

• Haha 1

I never cared, no matter HOW much it helped POPEYE, I wasn't(and to this day still don't) eating ANY kind of spinach!  Canned, fresh or whichever(Yuck!).  Besides.....

It clouds your judgement.  Think about it.  How MUCH of that crud did Popeye eat to be left with eyesight SO poor he thought OLIVE OYL was HOT!  :blink:   :D

Sepiatone

• Haha 2