Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

They Finally Put That Line Back In ...

This type of movie game was a humorous exchange my brother, sister and I would sometimes engage in where we imagined a line change or additional line of dialogue to a movie (or TV show) that either completely ruined a scene or changed its meaning in some humorous way. In the following example, the dialogue from Paths of Glory (1957) is basically how I remember it, except for the ending:

General Mireau (George Macready): I can't understand these armchair officers, fellas trying to fight a war from behind a desk, waving papers at the enemy, worrying about whether a mouse is going to run up their pants leg.

Colonel Dax (Kirk Douglas): I don't know, General. If I had the choice between mice and Mausers, I think I'd take the mice every time.

General Mireau (offering polite laughter at the play on words): You'll never convince me of that, Colonel Dax. [Pause] Wait, what are you laughing at now?

Colonel Dax: I just realized we're supposed to be speaking French, whereby the words "mouse" and "Mausers" wouldn't sound alike, so the comparison doesn't really make sense, does it?

Yeah, well, tell ya what.

I'm still waiting for the Classic Rock radio stations I listen to to play the true and ORIGINAL lyrics to Steve Miller's Jet Airliner.

YOU know. The ones that DIDN'T go: "Don't wanna get caught up in any of that funky KICKS goin' down in the city"!

(...now THAT doesn't make any sense at ALL!...know what I MEAN?!)

;)

• Haha 1

The classic rock station in my area would play it with the original lyrics back in the early '80s, which always made my jaw drop, but I think radio's become a lot more regimented and regulated since then. Also, there was that #1 hit from the mid-80s by Dire Straits with vocal guest Sting that made an unfortunate reference to a certain type of person with the mink coat and yeah, buddy, that's his own hair that played for years and years and years and no one even blinked. I think if you hear that song now they've excised that verse completely.

3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

The classic rock station in my area would play it with the original lyrics back in the early '80s, which always made my jaw drop, but I think radio's become a lot more regimented and regulated since then. Also, there was that #1 hit from the mid-80s by Dire Straits with vocal guest Sting that made an unfortunate reference to a certain type of person with the mink coat and yeah, buddy, that's his own hair that played for years and years and years and no one even blinked. I think if you hear that song now they've excised that verse completely.

"Money for Nothing"

See the little ****** with the earring and the make up 
Yeah buddy that's his own hair 
That little ****** got his own jet airplane
That little ****** he's a millionaire

• Thanks 1

And now and on the flip-side...

The following line said my Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove has never been restored to its original bit of dialogue:

"Shoot! A fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff!"

As many know, but for those who might not, Pickens originally references the city of Dallas Texas, not Las Vegas, when the Survival Kit contents check scene was filmed. However, during the post-production phase of this movie, JFK had been assassinated in Dallas, and so Pickens was called in to dub over the word Dallas and say "Vegas".

You can notice this while watching his lips in the following video starting at the :49 second mark...

• Thanks 4

Interesting choice of words, as my memory of "The Bodyguard" was that originally in the script Costner's character was supposed to be haunted by his failure in (and I quote) "that Kennedy thing" ... but someone thought it was too touchy even in 1992 and had the line changed to "that Reagan thing," a more recent but somehow more usable tragedy, which if nothing else could have been a way to commemorate the pointless changing of the name of the "Greatest American Hero" from Hinkley to Hanley a decade before, which itself may have also been an annoyance to the Professor from "Gilligan's Island," also named Hinkley, as neither TV character had the "c" of the 1981 shooter's name.

And yes, the Dire Straits line is "mink coat" but can easily be heard as "makeup"; I'm nevertheless surprised (especially about the Steve Miller song) that anything would be edited on the air now.

I always found two common Beatles mishearings quite funny:

- "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds": a girl with colitis go by

- "And I Love Her": I love my car, could never die

Back to imagined movie lines, I recall the one my sister contributed to the end of one scene that slightly ruined future viewings of On the Waterfront (1954) for me, joking again, "They finally put that line back in" when Father Barry (Karl Malden) takes Edie Doyle (Eva Marie Saint) to view how a workday with the longshoremen's union begins, with her father expressing surprise at the priest for letting Evie see things that aren't fit for the eyes of a decent girl, when corrupt union boss Johnny Friendly (Lee J. Cobb) has his henchmen pick which workers will get a day's employment by handing each one a tab marker showing they're allowed to work. Then when his preferences are all taken care of, the remaining tabs are thrown on the dock, telling the workers to fight each other for them.

Father Barry: Wait a minute. Is this all you do, just take it like this? What about your unions? No other union in the country'd stand for a thing like that.

Edie Doyle: I don't get the problem. Why don't they just go someplace ELSE and get ANOTHER job?

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

No, it isn't

I'm gonna assume without even clicking the links that since you've found four different sources to support your point that you're correct! Funny how I've misheard that lyric for almost 35 years. There are other songs I've done that with.

37 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm gonna assume without even clicking the links that since you've found four different sources to support your point that you're correct! Funny how I've misheard that lyric for almost 35 years. There are other songs I've done that with.

Hmmm...so sewhite, might THIS be one of 'em? ;) 

(...lord help me, I STILL crack up whenever I watch this old video!!!)

• Haha 1
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:29 AM, sewhite2000 said:

"Scuse me while I kiss this guy" from "Purple Haze" and "I'm a pool hall ace" from "Every Breath You Take" are two more lyrics I may or may not have misheard at some point in my life.

I'm a pool hall ace??

Now, that's funny :lol:.

On 7/2/2019 at 10:23 PM, Dargo said:

Yeah, well, tell ya what.

I'm still waiting for the Classic Rock radio stations I listen to to play the true and ORIGINAL lyrics to Steve Miller's Jet Airliner.

YOU know. The ones that DIDN'T go: "Don't wanna get caught up in any of that funky KICKS goin' down in the city"!

(...now THAT doesn't make any sense at ALL!...know what I MEAN?!)

;)

Know whatcha mean.  And funny too, the FM rock stations, back when it came out, played it untouched

Plus, I long ago got tired of hearing, "KICK OUT THE JAMS, BROTHERS AND SISTERS!"  ;) 

AND speaking of MONDEGREENS and "Jet Airliner", when Miller sang the line in the chorus that included the song's title, it, for a long time, sounded like he was singin'.  "We Goin' tear that line up."  :blink:

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

As the original Star Wars is scheduled to air on TCM on Tuesday, July 30th at 10:30 PM ET and Wednesday, July 31 at 8 p.m. ET, back to the intended joke of the thread, "I hope they finally put that line back in" as spoken by Darth Vader to Grand Moff Tarkin after he watches him use the Death Star to destroy the planet Alderaan:

"I love what you've done with the place."

• Haha 1

"What have you heard?"

-"I've heard you're a lowdown Yankee liar."

"Prove it!"

BAAM BAAM BAAM BAAM BAAM

(and now for the line I always wished Alan Ladd would have then spoken to the dying Jack Palance)

-"Hurts, don't it!"

This morning's showing of Them! (1954) reminded me of a line I had imagined occurring when the protagonists are in a plane over the desert, keeping an eye out for the giant ant hill below:

James Whitmore: Look at those people down there. They look like ants!

James Arness: Those are ants!
  • Haha 1

During the TCM introductory notes on Metropolis (1927) earlier this month, it was mentioned that H.G. Wells authored a newspaper review of the film of sorts when it was first released. He basically just wrote he had seen what he suspected was the silliest movie ever made up to that time, which made me wonder if they could have put a dialogue card into the silent film paraphrasing Monty Python and the Holy Grail a half century later:

"On second thought, let's not go to Metropolis. 'Tis a silly place!"
23 minutes ago, Defenestrator said:

During the TCM introductory notes on Metropolis (1927) earlier this month, it was mentioned that H.G. Wells authored a newspaper review of the film of sorts when it was first released. He basically just wrote he had seen what he suspected was the silliest movie ever made up to that time, which made me wonder if they could have put a dialogue card into the silent film paraphrasing Monty Python and the Holy Grail a half century later:

"On second thought, let's not go to Metropolis. 'Tis a silly place!"

And exactly what Clark Kent should have told himself before venturing from his family farm in Smallville, Kansas.

(...would've saved him from a whole lot of trouble)