Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which movie would you love to see that doesn't get shown too often??

STALAG 17 gets routine showings on TCM.  And I often mention I'd like to more often see

PRESSURE POINT ('62) with Sidney Poitier and Bobby Darin.   And......

THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES('37) with Roland Young and Ralph Richardson.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

A few months ago, they had the 1977 documentary Gizmo! scheduled to air and I was looking forward to seeing it again, but at the last minute with no change in the schedule listings, they aired the 1989 documentary For All Mankind instead. Maybe they realized they didn't have the rights to the former, or just didn't have it in their library.

I haven't seen Help! (1965) airing anywhere for a long time. Maybe they can run a day of movies with exclamation points in their titles. (Them!Airplane!, Top Secret!Mars Attacks!, Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, ¡Three Amigos!It! The Terror From Beyond Space, Oklahoma!, I Want to Live!, Safety Last!).

• Like 3

screen-shot-2019-02-21-at-7.15.52-am.jpeg

I'd like to see MR. AND MRS. BRIDGE (1990) on TCM. It's never aired. Not even when they did a month-long retrospective of Merchant-Ivory films a few years ago to celebrate the duo's 50th anniversary. And they showed almost every Merchant-Ivory film. Except MR. AND MRS. BRIDGE. It's one of my very favorites.

• Like 7

I wish TCM would air Bedtime Story from Universal in 1964, which is the inspiration for Dirty Rotten Scandals, a film I saw in college having no idea it was a remake and laughed so hard, I seriously think I almost injured myself. The plot and even dialogue similarities are extremely similar. I think it would be instructive for TCM to air them back to back to see just how much the latter took from the former.

• Like 4

The Accused (1948) w/Loretta. She plays a school teacher who gets embroiled with a student. There is a modicum (at least that anyway, maybe a little more) of sexual tension, definitely not her thing role-wise. It's been shown before on TCM but ages ago I believe.

• Like 1

Plus, I wouldn't object to more of WILL ROGERS' flicks.   TCM could even do a SOTM focus on Will, there's plenty of silents AND sound films to choose from.  

Even over this 4th of July celebration, as we celebrate American independence, and Rogers was indeed an American treasure.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

David Cronenberg movies aren't played much, except for a couple of them on Underground.

I find his movies pretty interesting and wish they'd get more play.

Atom Egoyan is another whose films I'd enjoy seeing on TCM.

• Like 2
On 7/3/2019 at 7:21 PM, TopBilled said:

screen-shot-2019-02-21-at-7.15.52-am.jpeg

I'd like to see MR. AND MRS. BRIDGE (1990) on TCM. It's never aired. Not even when they did a month-long retrospective of Merchant-Ivory films a few years ago to celebrate the duo's 50th anniversary. And they showed almost every Merchant-Ivory film. Except MR. AND MRS. BRIDGE. It's one of my very favorites.

It was also absent during the recent Newman as SOTM month. TCM, when?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It was also absent during the recent Newman as SOTM month. TCM, when?

Maybe when Woodward becomes Star of the Month. She did receive an Oscar nomination for it.

• Thanks 1
Just now, TopBilled said:

Maybe when Woodward becomes Star of the Month. She did receive an Oscar nomination for it.

Newman deserved a nod for it as well, and perhaps Blythe Danner too. I kind of think it might have been a major player at the time if it had been relaeased by a major studio. Instead it was Miramax (pre-Disney) and Cinaplex Odeon. And I get the distinct feeling that they were putting more behind a push for The Grifters that year......even though that film missed out on wins, it was up for 4 major award categories.

6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Newman deserved a nod for it as well, and perhaps Blythe Danner too. I kind of think it might have been a major player at the time if it had been relaeased by a major studio. Instead it was Miramax (pre-Disney) and Cinaplex Odeon. And I get the distinct feeling that they were putting more behind a push for The Grifters that year......even though that film missed out on wins, it was up for 4 major award categories.

Yes, probably. I liked THE GRIFTERS, but it was nowhere near half as good as MR. AND MRS. BRIDGE.

I have a special "relationship" with this film. I watched it on a day when I learned my grandfather died. I felt like everything in my life changed. I went in to the theater to see this film, to forget my troubles. And it pulled me out of my depression. I felt like I was with the characters on screen.

The tornado sequence was breathtaking. Newman's character reminded me of my grandfather. A man who guided his family, who told everyone what to do and when to do it. By relying on him, the family would always come through unscathed. And that's exactly how it had been with my grandfather, even when he wasn't appreciated by everyone.

When the film ended, all of us in the theater just sat stunned. It took awhile for people to stand up and leave. It had affected each person profoundly. I think the movie saved my life that day, because I had felt suicidal and depressed about my grandfather before I walked into that theater. But it somehow reinvested me in life. And I wonder if everyone else was brought to that movie on that day for similar reasons.

I make a point of watching it every six months, sort of like revisiting a personal intimate experience. It always pulls me back in. 

I've wanted it to air on TCM, to see if it would affect others too. But maybe it's a film that people need to find on their own, like I did. 

• Thanks 1

I was just thinking of this today but they haven't shown Legong: Dance of the Virgins in quite a bit. A wonderful travelogue of Balinese culture based on a local legend. A time capsule of the country before culture became global. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

The Jolson Story (1946).  Larry Parks and William Demarest, both Oscar nominated.  The pic may demonstrate why TCM doesn't show it more often.  Or it could simply be that it's a Columbia picture.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

Sometimes TCM likes to have a little synergy with what's currently playing in theaters, and there's a horror movie out right now called Midsommar that's clearly at least a little Wicker Man-inspired. Would have been a nice opportunity for TCM to do a little tie-in by showing the '70s film.

• Like 1
On 7/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, Defenestrator said:

I haven't seen Help! (1965) airing anywhere for a long time. Maybe they can run a day of movies with exclamation points in their titles.

Yes!  I was hoping to see Help! re-released on the big screen for the 50th anniversary as they did with Hard Day's Night but nothing.  I absolutely love Help!  The music is great (of course), it's in color, fab locals, and the band looks like it's having fun.  It's just a joy to watch.