Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GodzillaDukeSefton17

Which movie would you love to see that doesn't get shown too often??

Houdini (1953) with Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh.  Also, Love with the Proper Stranger (1963) with Steve McQueen and Natalie Wood. Room at the Top (1959) with Simone Signoret and Laurence Harvey. Lost Lady (1934) with Frank Morgan and Barbara Stanwyck based on a book by Willa Cather.

houdini.png

love.png

room.png

lady.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Happiest Days of Your Life (1950), starring two greats of British cinema, Margaret Rutherford and Alastair Sim in a Frank Launder/Sidney Gilliat production.  (Launder and Gilliat wrote, directed, and/or produced The Lady Vanishes, Night Train to Munich, I See a Dark Stranger, Green for Danger, and The Belles of St. Trinians, among others.) 

The Happiest Days isn't available on region 1 DVD and has never been on TCM as far as I know, so it's difficult to see.  I made a commercial-free VHS recording from Bravo almost 30 years ago, which I transferred to DVD.  But it would be great to see a better print of this hilarious movie.

The Happiest Days of Your Life (1950 film).jpg

I'd like to see TCM run the 1930 version of GOOD NEWS more often and the 1947 version less often. The 1930 version has been shown only 8 times, and not since 1999 while they've shown the 1947 remake at least 70 times!

• Thanks 1

Would love to see A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966) on TCM again, it was mentioned recently in the "I Just Watched..." thread and it's just such a fun movie. Great cast, some memorable songs with the absolutely amazing reprise of "Lovely", the opening song "Comedy Tonight" and the boisterous Miles Gloriosus, "Stand aside everyone! I take large steps" and his own introduction song. It'll probably be another afternoon showing but at least it would be on the schedule.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Peebs said:

Yes!  I was hoping to see Help! re-released on the big screen for the 50th anniversary as they did with Hard Day's Night but nothing.  I absolutely love Help!  The music is great (of course), it's in color, fab locals, and the band looks like it's having fun.  It's just a joy to watch.

An older fellow I used to work with in NYC some years back had exchanged best movie lists with me at one point, and he placed "Help!" at number one. I had coincidentally noticed a bit of trivia just before that and asked him if he knew a common factor between the movie and the public school we were working across the street from at that time--PS 51 on West 44th Street. If you look it up, you'll probably come up with the answer.

I recall a night in 1968 when the family was all settled in, and I just happened to notice the below Close Up in TV Guide that the movie was making its television debut within moments. One of my most fondly remembered family movie nights as a kid. We had seen "A Hard Day's Night" a few times, but I had never gotten to see "Help!" on the big screen. Funny though, I had remembered it as being on WOR's Million Dollar Movie, but it only makes sense that it was on one of the networks.

2e87a862bb2e374a265f8913f4071865.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Defenestrator said:

PS 51 on West 44th Street. If you look it up, you'll probably come up with the answer.

a9EK2xmEOw5CEXHelzfe5KAwPBg2DUxqw1PZOk3R23k.png (584Ã329)

On 7/6/2019 at 5:08 PM, Stephen444 said:

Francis Ford Coppola's "Your A Big Boy Now" 1966.  An impressive small movie.

youre-a-big-boy-now-lg.jpg

I grew up in Manhattan in the 1960s and loved this movie.  Francis Ford Coppola's first flick

with music from the Lovin' Spoonful!

I would love to see "For Love Of Ivy" starring Sidney Poitier and Abbey Lincoln. This 1968 classic is definetly a rare gem that, although, doesn't get shown too often, I would really love to see again.

ForLoveofIvy.jpg

"Valley of the Dolls" 1967 (summer of love)  I know it's  super corny but I find it interesting.  I love the John Williams score.  Too bad Judy Garland couldn't stick it out since the story is partly based on her life.

dolls.jpg

National Velvet

Topper

Brigadoon

Hangmen Also Die

I Married A Witch

Sons of the Desert

Foreign Correspondent

Hey these movies appear on TCM all the time! one might say.  Well not in Canada they don't.

• Haha 2

On 7/8/2019 at 9:26 AM, Peebs said:

Love with the Proper Stranger (1963) with Steve McQueen and Natalie Wood

I second this selection.  This is a delightful movie.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, skimpole said:

Well not in Canada they don't

The zinger to your post took me by surprise! I was going down your list, thinking to myself, "Jeez, TCM shows all these movies a lot!".

Personally, since there are few channels showing Universal and Fox classic movies, I wish TCM could look into possible showing these.  

There is a ton of Bing Crosby, Deanna Durbin, Betty Grable and others' films I would love to see that are never shown.

They need to expand their repertoire of pre 1970's films.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cteddiesgirl said:

They need to expand their repertoire of pre 1970's films.

They need to expand their repertoire of post 70's films too. 😎

• Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 12:55 AM, skimpole said:

National Velvet

Topper

Brigadoon

Hangmen Also Die

I Married A Witch

Sons of the Desert

Foreign Correspondent

Hey these movies appear on TCM all the time! one might say.  Well not in Canada they don't.

Also, The Drowning Pool

On 7/6/2019 at 6:41 PM, cigarjoe said:

Image result for Eating Raoul movie

i remember that one aired on a night of outrageous cult titles in July of 2017, and I caught it on demand a few days later. You know it was a most outrageous night when Harold and Maude was the most conventional film that night! 

• Haha 1

Seconds - with Rock Hudson - saw it many years ago on TCM and never since.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Seconds_poster.jpg

• Like 2

The Shout (1978) with Alan Bates, John Hurt, and Susannah York.  Bates is a stranger with mystical powers who invades and takes over the lives of couple York and Hurt.  I remember it being quite creepy.

• Like 1