Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A United Artists Retrospective Yearbook: 1932

This was the avation film with Chester Morris that started 1932 off....

Cock_of_the_Air_poster.jpg

Joan Blondell, Madge Evans, and Ina Claire played gold-diggers looking for husbands in The Greeks had a Word for Them.

David_Manners,_Madge_Evans,_Joan_Blondel

Spencer Tracy tried to dodge the war.... and then he found himself on a battlefield....

Poster_Sky_Devils.jpg

Howard Hughes had his best regarded production with Scarface, with Paul Muni and Ann Dvorak in a well-regarded gangster saga.

Scar2.gif

Don't let the poster fool you. The Silver lining was actually a tale of women in prison, always a recipe for high drama.

MV5BZmY0Yjk3MTMtYTQxNC00MjAwLTk4NjYtMWQz

the Congress Dances was a German musical.

Der_Kongress_tanzt_(poster).jpg

White Zombie was able to shock many in 1932.

220px-Poster_-_White_Zombie_01_Crisco_re

Douglas Fairbanks next turned to a comic take on Daniel Dafoe.

MV5BODVlMzcxNDMtNTE1Zi00MTkxLTkwOTItY2Jl

Joan Crawford appeared in Rain, a sultry, disturbing adaptation of Sadie Thompson. Trashed at the time, it now stands as one of Crawford's best performances.

Rain_1932_film.jpg

Jack Buchanan starred in Good night Vienna, a WWI set musical.

Good_Night_Vienna.jpg

Eddie Canton went to the bulls in The Kid from Spain.

MV5BMTcwOWUzOWItNWE0My00NGRlLWFjMzEtZDQ5

Ronald Colman engaged in a love affair with horrific repercussions in Cynara.

Cynara-1932.jpg

• Like 4

Scarface is a great early gangster film with nice cinematography (I love the "X" motif used throughout). White Zombie is a good Karloff film but the ending was too rushed. Also I love der Kongress Tanzt -a beautiful Lehar-style German operetta film.

• Like 1

1. (0(k of the Air: It's very Hughesian (in other words, bosoms and aviation)? I wish TCM would show that recently restored print that came straight from HH's vault.
  2. The Greeks Had a Word For Them: Also known as Three Broadway Girls, and available in mediocre copies wherever public domain films can be found.
  3. Scarface: Better than the 1980s version, if you ask this aging film crank.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings