Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joan Blondell as SOTM December 2019

Barton_Keyes

Oh man. Have people been reading our constant posts wishing for either of the Joans? 

I would vote for Blondell if they could premiere The Blue Veil and The Perfect Specimen. 

But I have a feeling that Bennett has more lesser viewed films, so those would be good as well.

I'd be happy with either choice! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think what I don't like about these Backlot picks is that both choices are deserving. So if Blondell doesn't get chosen, will they still make her a Star of the Month later?

They should do these contests differently. Like make both women Stars of the Month, and let the Backlot members decide which one is honored first (weeks 1 & 2) and which one is honored second (weeks 3 & 4). That way fans of both actresses are not disappointed.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I think what I don't like about these Backlot picks is that both choices are deserving. So if Blondell doesn't get chosen, will they still make her a Star of the Month later?

They should do these contests differently. Like make both women Stars of the Month, and let the Backlot members decide which one is honored first (weeks 1 & 2) and which one is honored second (weeks 3 & 4). That way fans of both actresses are not disappointed.

What I wonder about is how did TCM decide on the two choices?  Isn't that is the first place fans of other stars get disappointed?     

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What I wonder about is how did TCM decide on the two choices?  Isn't that is the first place fans of other stars get disappointed?     

Right. Someone's always going to be disappointed. Though in this case, at least they are making it possible for someone who never was Star of the Month before, to finally be honored. So in a way that cancels out some of the negativity. Still I think it would be better if they had more than one Star of the Month. Then they could cover more people, more fan bases would be happy.

• Like 1

I wish I could vote, but I'm not a Backlot member. Blondell films are shown constantly all year round. I doubt we'd see anything new. Whereas Joan's are hard to come by and we could possibly see something new. I'm quite surprised they even put her in contention (and yes, I'd vote for her).

2 hours ago, Barton_Keyes said:

I can confirm that Joan Blondell won this contest among TCM Backlot members, so she will be Star of the Month in December. Schedule to come, most likely in September. Stay tuned.

Thanks Barton. Both were deserving. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching Joan Blondell and Glenda Farrell last night I again noticed how sexy Blondell is and how non-sexy Farrell is.

It isn't their looks,  but how each moves and carries themselves.      There were a few scenes where each goes to open a door:   Blondell glides and sways over to the door gracefully while Farrell,,, well,   she looks like a linebacker;  all stiff with little to no grace.

Was there any other actress that was able to be as sexy as Blondell?      (of course these are pre-code films and that does make a difference).  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings