Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The New York City Subway

RoyCronin

I recently noticed the Shuttle at Grand Central being used for some kind of filming; unsure if it was a commercial, television or a feature film, and was recalling famous movie scenes set on the New York City subway.

Most of my favorite titles that immediately come to mind are more recent films, such as "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" and Tony Manero riding the train in "Saturday Night Fever".  "The Warriors" involves a long subway ride and Nancy Allen is chased by a predator through a moving train in a scene from "Dressed to Kill".

There is a terrific sequence in Scorsese's "After Hours" where Griffin Dunne has insufficient funds to board a train when the fare went up a midnight and "Fame" has several subway sequences.

When it comes to films of the classic era, there is Miss Turnstiles in "On the Town" of course, but I can't recall any others offhand from the Golden Age, although I'm sure the subway is depicted frequently.

Are there any favorite subway rides anyone can recall?

• Like 2

Transitional Noir The Incident (1967) starring Tony Musante, Martin Sheen, Beau Bridges, Brock Peters, Ruby Dee,   Ed McMahon, Jack Gilford and with Noir Veterans Thelma Ritter, Jan Sterling and Gary Merrill.

It was almost all pretty much shot guerrilla style with no permits, one of the best subway films.

• Like 2

There are many, many films with scenes in Grand Central Station, which of course is not a subway station, although there is a subway station at Grand Central.

In Sergeant York, Alvin York (Gary Cooper) befriends the character played by George Tobias, who works for the NYC subway system as a conductor. Tobias is killed in the war. When York receives a hero's welcome in NYC after the war, and asked what he wants to do in the City, he replies, "I want to take a ride on the Bronx Express."

10 minutes ago, Swithin said:

There are many, many films with scenes in Grand Central Station, which of course is not a subway station, although there is a subway station at Grand Central.

In Sergeant York, Alvin York (Gary Cooper) befriends the character played by George Tobias, who works for the NYC subway system as a conductor. Tobias is killed in the war. When York receives a hero's welcome in NYC after the war, and asked what he wants to do in the City, he replies, "I want to take a ride on the Bronx Express."

Just a friendly correction. Grand Central is not a station it is a terminal, no through trains. :D

There are like you mentioned Grand Central Stations on the "S" the old IRT Times Square Shuttle, and on the 4,5,6, and 7 BTW all old IRT subway lines.

The Pennsylvania Station (what's left of it) is an intercity station with through trains to Boston, Philadelphia and Washington. It also has subway connections the A, C, and E trains at 34th Street–Penn Station station, under Eighth Avenue and the 1, 2, and 3 trains at 34th Street–Penn Station station, under Seventh Avenue.

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Just a friendly correction. Grand Central is not a station it is a terminal, no through trains. :D

There are like you mentioned Grand Central Stations on the "S" the old IRT Times Square Shuttle, and on the 4,5,6, and 7 BTW all old IRT subway lines.

The Pennsylvania Station (what's left of it) is an intercity station with through trains to Boston, Philadelphia and Washington. It also has subway connections the A, C, and E trains at 34th Street–Penn Station station, under Eighth Avenue and the 1, 2, and 3 trains at 34th Street–Penn Station station, under Seventh Avenue.

You are technically correct, but, let's compare our New York creds:  In my experience as a native (whose uncle was a conductor on the old New Haven Railroad), most New Yorkers refer to the station as Grand Central Station, just as no New Yorker whom I ever knew called Sixth Avenue the Avenue of the Americas, even when that was its correct/official name. 

But I think most people would simply say "Grand Central."

It's nice to hear you mention the "IRT." Those names for our subway lines (also IND and BMT) are rarely used any more.

When I was a wee lad, there was a model fallout shelter in Grand Central, for people who might want to purchase one. In my teen years, that space became a Merrill Lynch kiosk, where you could check your stock's fluctuations at any point during the day.

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

You are technically correct, but, let's compare our New York creds:  In my experience as a native (whose uncle was a conductor on the old New Haven Railroad), most New Yorkers refer to the station as Grand Central Station, just as no New Yorker whom I ever knew called Sixth Avenue the Avenue of the Americas, even when that was its correct/official name. 

But I think most people would simply say "Grand Central."

It's nice to hear you mention the "IRT." Those names for our subway lines (also IND and BMT) are rarely used any more.

When I was a wee lad, there was a model fallout shelter in Grand Central, for people who might want to purchase one. In my teen years, that space became a Merrill Lynch kiosk, where you could check your stock's fluctuations at any point during the day.

Native here also, born and lived in Astoria, Queens, my dad worked for the Long Island RR for about 10 years. I rode the subway quite a bit when they were IRT, BMT, and IND. Went to high school in Manhattan so usually rode the BMT all the way in or switched at Queensboro Plaza to an IRT. 

I traveled by rail out of Grand Central cross country and back a number of times on the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago and from there to Montana on either the North Coast Hiawatha or the Empire Builder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Does this film feature the NY subway system?   I can't recall.   Either way,  some great views of the NYC during the 40s.

Image result for cry of the city

Yea, there is a scene with Conte down in an 8th Ave IND station.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Native here also, born and lived in Astoria, Queens, my dad worked for the Long Island RR for about 10 years. I rode the subway quite a bit when they were IRT, BMT, and IND. Went to high school in Manhattan so usually rode the BMT all the way in or switched at Queensboro Plaza to an IRT. 

I traveled by rail out of Grand Central cross country and back a number of times on the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago and from there to Montana on either the North Coast Hiawatha or the Empire Builder. 

My uncle "road the rails" when he was young. Perhaps that's why he became a railroad man. I was born in Manhattan, grew up in the Bronx (Grand Concourse), lived in Manhattan, then Long Island City, Queens, then back to Manhattan (UWS) where I live now.  Spent quite a lot of time in the suburbs with family (North White Plains, Port Chester, Riverside, CT), so road the trains often. Going out to dinner in Astoria tomorrow. They done nice renovations on the Astoria stations (as you many know if you are still out there.)

My old LIC neighborhood is quite unrecognizable now (as you may know). It was a village when I lived there (1981-2002), but then they changed the zoning laws and now they can build anything, so many expensive apartment buildings. 

3 minutes ago, Swithin said:

My old LIC neighborhood is quite unrecognizable now (as you may know). It was a village when I lived there (1981-2002), but then they changed the zoning laws and now they can build anything, so many expensive apartment buildings. 

Yep lots of sky scrapers in LIC now.

Here's a Photo I took in late 60s from the last car of the train you see in the photo.

Image result for Noirsville Long Island City

But I remember as a kid where in the above image you see parking lots there was an curving octopus like steel structure that used to carry the turnaround tracks left over from when the 2nd Ave el came across the Queensboro Bridge. They took it down sometime in the late 50s.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Roy Cronin

•  
  • Roy Cronin
  • Members
  •  
  • 3 posts

RoyCronin

• Advanced Member
  •  
  • RoyCronin
  • Members
  •  
  • 847 posts
  • LocationNYC

I'm scared and confused.:blink:

the photos that Roy posted are from Pick-Up On South Street. Richard Widmark and Jean Peters on the subway. I think that's what you're asking about? the photos are showing up on my screen.

Just now, lavenderblue19 said:

the photos that Roy posted are from Pick-Up On South Street. Richard Widmark and Jean Peters on the subway. I think that's what you're asking about? the photos are showing up on my screen.

Did the pictures in my post show up? I was asking about there being two accounts named "Roy Cronin", both featuring an avatar of a couple. I was (somewhat jokingly) confused about the similarities, and wondered at first if the older RoyCronin had to recreate his account for some reason.

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Did the pictures in my post show up? I was asking about there being two accounts named "Roy Cronin", both featuring an avatar of a couple. I was (somewhat jokingly) confused about the similarities, and wondered at first if the older RoyCronin had to recreate his account for some reason.

Nope. Your photos did not show up Lawrence. What showed up is just Roy Cronin's name and the photos of Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor from Waterloo Bridge and a lot of blank spaces.

5 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Nope. Your photos did not show up Lawrence. What showed up is just Roy Cronin's name and the photos of Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor from Waterloo Bridge and a lot of blank spaces.

Yeah, those were the photos (avatars) I was referring to. So they did show up.

I was confused about there being two separate accounts named Roy Cronin on the same page.

The older one, RoyCronin, with this picture as an avatar: photo-thumb-58484.jpg

And a newer account, Roy Cronin (space between names), using this avatar: 456405280_LeighTaylor-228x300.thumb.jpg.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Me too Joe! I'm still there and will never leave.

Cool, what street?

Well my grandfather worked demolition in Manhattan. They lived in a tenement down near where the United Nations is now. After a fire in the tenement (nobody got hurt) he decided to build a house in Astoria. He bought a lot on a hill along the old Bowery Bay Road that people took to the Amusement Park and beach at North Beach from the last trolley stop on Astoria Blvd, at St. Michael's Cemetery. 

He built the house with salvaged windows and doors with those cool glass doorknobs from the old mansions on 5th Ave. When the regular street grid went in the city lowered the grade a full story, so my grandfather had to build another basement under the first basement. My mother was born in that house with the help of a mid wife. That Bowery Bay Road was the boundary line between Astoria and Jackson Heights, so after the street grid went in we lived on 49th Street, Astoria, between 21 Ave, and Ditmars Blvd., the next road over was Hazen Street, Jackson Heights.

10 hours ago, RoyCronin said:

It's been problematic with my ability to upload photos.

And stubbornness to upgrade to new browsers/systems, as everyone else is seeing the pictures and YT clips just fine.   😓

----

As for subways, a New York Magazine article took on the subject, including most of those iconic titles already mentioned:

https://www.vulture.com/2016/02/best-subway-movie-moments-of-all-time.html

(Forgot about the '76 King Kong, and was wondering who'd be The Guy to post "Spiderman 2".)

Also, not sure if the deleted scene was included on the disk, but I remember the TV broadcast of "Love at First Bite" including a lost scene where George Hamilton's Dracula--not quite up to speed on 1979 NYC trends and slang--is riding the last subway alone at night (of course), and the only other passenger in the car is a mousy-looking NY single girl hoping to experiment with the new 70's-sexual-revolution trend of no-commitment one-night taxicab affairs:

Woman:  "Hi...I'm a totally liberated woman."

Dracula:  "Oh, you are a...'flapper'--A 'boop-boop-be-doo girl'?"

The girl tries to push herself onto Hamilton, but from that start, you have some idea how well that goes down.  😄

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings