Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A United Artists Retrospective Scrapbook: 1935

it should be said up front that a few of these films this year are from the company known as 20th Century. Some of them have already been included in the first Fox installment, but I am including them here because technically, UA still handled them.

Ronald Colman started the year in the biopic Clive of India.

Clive_India35.jpg

Leslie Howard, Merle Oberon, and Raymond Massey were the leads in the classic adventure The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Scarletpimpernelfilm1934.jpg

Merle was back again with Charles Boyer in another adventure, Battle in the East.

The_Battle_(1934_film).jpg

and even more Merle! This time she was in a musical with Maurice Chevalier and Ann Sothern.

MV5BMjVmMTUzNGUtYTIxMy00MmNmLThkNWMtN2I5

Gary Cooper and Anna Sten appeared in the tragic The Wedding Night which won a directing prize for King Vidor at the Venice Film Festival

The_Wedding_Night_poster.jpg

Fredric March and Charles Laughton scored a triumph with Les Miserables.

Les_Mis%C3%A9rables_(1935_film)_poster.j

George Arliss then returned as Cardinal Richielieu

Cardinal_Richelieu_FilmPoster.jpeg

Richard Arlen and Virginia Bruce starred in Let Em Have It, a gangster saga.

Eric_Linden-Joyce_Compton_in_Let_'Em_Hav

Elizabeth Bergner starred in the romantic melodrama Escape Me Never, later remade at WB in 1947.

Escape_Me_Never_(1935_film).jpg

Anna Neagle was Nell Gwenn and Cedric Hardwicke was King Charles II, her secret love. Well, not so secret anymore.

%22Nell_Gwynn%22_(1934).jpg

Paul Robeson starred in the much acclaimed Sanders of the River.

Sanders_River_35.jpg

Clark Gable and Loretta Young starred in a very entertaining (if loose) version of Jack London's Call of the Wild.

Call_of_the_Wild35.jpg

Look who's back again! It's Merle Oberon, in her only Oscar nominated role; The Dark Angel. This superior romantic melodrama is deeply felt and is overall entrancing.

MV5BN2U1NjkyZjktNzU5MS00NGIyLTkxMGQtOTk3

Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Young were trying to outwit some Communists in Red Salute.

Red_Salute_1935_Poster.jpg

Miriam Hopkins was a female cardsharp in Barbary Coast. it had its moments.

Barbary_Coast_1935_poster.jpg

The Melody Lingers On looks to be a lost film.

MV5BZTIwNTk4MDYtNTlmZS00MTJmLTk3YzctNTg0

Miriam Hopkins and Joel McCrea were in love in Splendor, costarring Billie Burke and David Niven.

MV5BZjE0MjNmZDQtMTNjOS00ZGMzLWE2YTAtYzQ2

Douglas Fairbanks Jr and Gertrude Lawrence starred in the romance Mimi

MV5BMTRlNGU5MTEtNGJhNy00NTA5LTk0YTctMGJl

And Brewster's Millions was a British take of the much filmed tale

MV5BZjhkZGZkYmEtODg2MS00ZTMyLWE5NDUtNDA1

https://hollywoodhistoryinpictures.wordpress.com/blog-feed/

• Like 5

1. Les Miserables - the first version of the story that I ever saw, and still my favorite
  2. The Scarlet Pimpernel
  3. Barbary Coast
  4. The Wedding Night
  5. Sanders of the River
  6. Call of the Wild

I've also seen Clive of IndiaEscape Me NeverThe Dark Angel, and Red Salute.

• Thanks 1

So many great ones this year-- mostly because we're looking at output from Zanuck and Goldwyn, both producers were making top-grade independent "A" films.

The Arliss film, CARDINAL RICHELIEU, was his lat American effort. But he would make four more in Britain, and they're all gems. 

Likewise, Chevalier left Hollywood after FOLIES BERGERE DE PARIS and returned to European films. 

I think THE WEDDING NIGHT might be favorite from this overall group. Though I also think THE DARK ANGEL is well made, and so is LES MISERABLES.

I've never seen the Stanwyck-Young picture.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings