Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A United Artists Retrospective Scrapbook: 1936

Le Golem was a monster movie from France.

GOLEM_original_poster.jpg

Cary Grant returned to his native England for The Amazing Adventure.

MV5BYzU3MTAyZjYtNzYyNC00ZmUzLTk2NWUtZGRi

Robert Donat was a ghost less than impressed with the brashness of American society in The Ghost Goes West.

The_Ghost_Goes_West_FilmPoster.jpeg

I think you can tell by my picture what I think of this next release. Modern Times is my pick for the best film ever made. I think that says enough there.

MV5BYjJiZjMzYzktNjU0NS00OTkxLWEwYzItYzdh

Miriam Hopkins, Merle Oberon, and Joel McCrea appeared in These Three, a much changed version of Lillian Hellman's The Children's Hour (filmed in a blunter version by the same director, William Wyler, again at UA in 1961). Still, this received much praise, and Bonita Granville as the malevolent gossip was up for an Oscar.

TheseThreePoster.jpg

Freddie Bartholomew had one of his best parts in Little Lord Faunteroy, a very charming film. Twas also the first independent David O. Selznick production.

Little-Lord-Fauntleroy-Poster.jpg

Continuing a good run, Things to Come is regarded as one of the greatest of sci-fi films.

Things-to-Come-UK-poster.jpg

Douglas Fairbanks Jr was out to clear his father's name in The Amateur Gentleman.

The_Amateur_Gentleman_(1936_film).jpeg

Ida Lupino had an early lead in One Rainy Afternoon.

MV5BMDZmMjlkZTctYmRmYS00NTlhLTkyNTEtN2Qy

Moscow Nights was a romantic drama that featured Lawrence Olivier

Moscow_Nights_(1935_film).jpg

Randolph Scott and Binnie Barnes starred in a version of The Last of the Mohicans.

The_Last_of_the_Mohicans_1936_Poster.jpg

Another 1936 masterpiece arrived in the form of Dodsworth, a completely brilliant film.

MV5BZDQyOTZhZDktMTkzNy00ZGJhLTg4NDctYmU0

The Gay Desperado was a Western Comedy.

MV5BYjkzMmJhMzQtNzJmZC00MjE5LThjMjctYTUy

Edweard Arnold, Frances Farmer, Joel McCrea, and Oscar-winning Walter Brennan starred in Come and Get It, another much acclaimed title.

MV5BM2IwMTYxMDUtMjQyMi00ZmNkLTlhOGYtYWFl

UA ventured forth into color for the first time with The Garden of Allah with those continental lovers Dietrich and Boyer.

The_Garden_of_Allah_1936_poster.jpg

Douglas Fairbanks Jr was back in England for the melodrama Accused.

MV5BYjQ3MTJlMDEtYmZkOS00ZjAyLWIzMDctNzAy

Charles Laughton was much praised for his work playing the great painter Rembrandt.

MV5BOGM2MDliMjktZjY4OS00MjBjLWI2OGMtNTE1

And Brian Aherne and Merle Oberon appeared in Beloved Enemy, a loos, disguised take on the Irishman Michael Collins.

Beloved_enemy.jpg

https://hollywoodhistoryinpictures.wordpress.com/blog-feed/

• Like 5

A good year, with my top three choices among my favorites of the year by any studio.

1. Modern Times
  2. Things to Come
  3. Dodsworth
  4. These Three
  5. The Garden of Allah
  6. Come and Get It
  7. The Amazing Adventure

I've also seen Moscow Nights (under the name I Stand Condemned).

• Thanks 1

I have a love-hate relationship with DODSWORTH. I think it's overrated as a whole (and I find the story incredibly contrived), but the individual performances are very good. 

THE GARDEN OF ALLAH is less than perfect, but Selznick's painstaking attention to detail and the use of Technicolor makes it a sumptuous visual experience.

THESE THREE is my favorite from this batch. And I prefer it over the 1961 remake. Miriam Hopkins is in both, playing different roles.

REMBRANDT is another favorite. Laughton and Lanchester are sublime in this one.

THE GHOST GOES WEST is good fun.

• Thanks 1

Modern Times is indeed one of the best films ever made.

Dodsworth is among my favorite films of all time. Walter Huston gives one of his best performances of his career. The last exchange between Huston and Ruth Chatterton is smashing.

I've read nothing but good reviews for Things to Come, but I haven't seen it yet.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings