Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Day The Earth Stood Still - almost every genre of film can have a Film Noir

On 7/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

Thanks for your organized "noir" list!

but I think: SHACK OUT ON 101 belongs to the "Commie" noir group, along with :

I WAS A COMMUNIST FOR THE FBI (also with Frank Lovejoy), WALK EAST ON BEACON, and WALK A CROOKED MILE.

Yes you could definitely cross reference it as a "Commie Noir" also.

• Confused 1
57 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Yes you could definitely cross reference it as a "Commie Noir" also.

:huh:

"Commie noir"? 

Is THAT what Muller is talking about with his, "Black, White, and RED?" thing?  ;)

Sepiatone

14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

:huh:

"Commie noir"? 

Is THAT what Muller is talking about with his, "Black, White, and RED?" thing?  ;)

Sepiatone

Lol, that could be taken that way I suppose. Another "Commie Noir" not mentioned above is The Woman on Pier 13 (aka I married a Communist) (1949)

• 4 weeks later...

I would stick The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) in this category also. All the Tampico sequences are quite stylistically noir-ish (check out the whole bar sequence with Pat McCormick (Barton MacLane)) and you have Fred C. Dobbs increasingly becoming your Classic Noir alienated and obsessed individual. When they head out to prospect for gold the feel of the film goes back in time 50 years to the Western. You have this Western/Noir diametric going on.

You could place it along side of High Sierra, Detour, Ride The Pink Horse, The Scarf, The Hitch-Hiker as the granddaddies of our modern Western based "Film Soleil" Noir, those sun baked, desert or tropical set Neo Noirs.

• Like 1

:D Watching The TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE yesterday, I kept waiting for little BOBBY BLAKE to tell Bogey to take his lottery winnings "to the BANK!"  ;)  :D  

Personally, after getting a face full of water, I'd have given Bogey a different ticket and kept the winner for myself.

Sepiatone 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I absolutely love "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951.....need I specify the year?) To me, it is one of the greatest UFO movies ever made (and the haunting original score by Bernard Herrmann adds to the beauty of the film), not to mention the lead actors in it, Michael Rennie, Sam Jaffe and Patricia Neal (one of her best roles). That said, it has never occurred to me that this movie would fall into the category of "film noir". I'll have to think about that....

• Like 1