Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sci Fi genre required

The TCM schedule labels Sci Fi films, such as The War of the Worlds as "horror". Isn't it time TCM recognised them as Sci Fi? Sure some Sci Fi films, such as The Thing from Outer Space (1951) are pretty scary but it's pretty clear it is first and foremost Sci Fi.

• Like 1

It's true that whoever writes some of these descriptions for films for TCM have labeled them incorrectly, and one wonders whether that person has ever seen the films, however, The War of The World's was shown last night as part of the SCI-FI series, obviously TCM recognizes the film as Sci-Fi.

44 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

It's true that whoever writes some of these descriptions for films for TCM have labeled them incorrectly, and one wonders whether that person has ever seen the films, however, The War of The World's was shown last night as part of the SCI-FI series, obviously TCM recognizes the film as Sci-Fi.

I think what phyljohn is getting at is that TCM does not have a "sci-fi" or "science fiction" genre label on their schedule, but instead list them all as "horror", like in this example :

Screen+Shot+2017-10-01+at+12.31.54+PM.pn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I think what phyljohn is getting at is that TCM does not have a "sci-fi" or "science fiction" genre label on their schedule, but instead list them all as "horror", like in this example :

To be fair, some of these films do have horror elements in them. Especially something like SOYLENT GREEN.

But yes, TCM could add a SCI-FI genre label. Wonder why they haven't done so.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Thanks Lawrence, it is strange that they don't have a Sci-fi category listed, wonder why? lazy, maybe. Guess they just don't care enough. Have you noticed over the years as I pointed out that sometimes they get the genre's mixed up. I've seen comedies listed as dramas and vice-versa.

• Like 2
On 7/10/2019 at 2:08 PM, TopBilled said:

To be fair, some of these films do have horror elements in them. Especially something like SOYLENT GREEN.

But yes, TCM could add a SCI-FI genre label. Wonder why they haven't done so.

Probably because the films listed are all the Classic Sci-Fi that Warner and MGM OWN.  Everything else that springs to mind from the 50's to the 70's was Fox, Amer. Int'l and Universal.

(Well, okay, and Rollerball, think that was a United Artists, and Forbidden Planet, but think the listed block was focusing on the great 70's Golden Era.)