Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A United Artists Retrospective Yearbook: 1937

Miriam Hopkins and Gertrude Lawrence vied for Sebastian Shaw in the fierce Men are Not Gods, which also gave a push to Rex Harrison's career.

Menarenotgods.jpg

Several Brits needed to attend to some unfinished business in India in Troopship.

MV5BM2ZiNDIwMDAtNmQ3ZS00ZWQyLTk1M2UtZjg3

Henry Fonda and Sylvia Sidney made for a tragic pair of outlaws in love in Fritz Lang's brilliant You Only Live Once.

You-only-live-once-1937.jpg

Roland Young starred as The Man Who Could Work Miracles, a comedy written by HG Welles.

The_Man_Who_Could_Work_Miracles_film_pos

Vivien Leigh and Rex Harrison, both early in their careers, appeared in Storm in a Teacup, a romantic comedy.

Storm_in_a_Teacup.jpg

leigh was back again in the historical drama Fire Over England involving the great London fire. Flora Robson played the queen; Lawrence Olivier, Robert Newton, and Raymond Massey were also involved.

Fire-over-england-1937.jpg

Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur were a wonderful pair in History is Made at Night, a cross between romance, comedy, drama, and disaster film. Somehow, it worked.

History-is-made-at-night-1937.jpg

Sabu made his debut in the adventure Elephant Boy.

Elephantboyposter.jpg

Ann Harding and Basil Rathbone appeared in the Agatha Christie adaptation Love from a Stranger. A remake would appear just a few years later with Sylvia Sidney.

220px-Love_From_a_Stranger_movie_poster.

The first official version of A Star is Born was my personal favorite. The tried-and-true tale was luminously enacted by Janet Gaynor and Fredric March, both of whom were Oscar nominated.

A_Star_Is_Born_1937_poster.jpg

Miriam Hopkins was after Joel McCrea in Woman Chases Man

MV5BNGFiNjYwYTAtMTlkOC00MzliLTgxMTQtMjE5

Elizabeth Bergner appeared in Dreaming lips, the saga of an illicit affair and its dreadful repercussions.

Dreaming_Lips_(1937_film).jpg

Douglas Fairbanks Jr was a cat burgler whose ideas of love were shattered in When Thief Meets Thief (foreign-language poster here)

Jump_for_Glory.jpg

Warner Baxter and Joan Bennett found themselves falling for one another in the fashion industry in Vogues of 1938 (actually a 1937 film)

MV5BZDNhYjg5NjktZjk3Ny00YWExLWJmNzktNmNk

Conrad Veight and Vivien Leigh were spies in love in Dark Journey

MV5BZTQ5YTdiOWQtOTVmMy00YzlhLWEwNzctMWIw

Robert Donat was out to save hostage Marlene Dietrich in Knight Without Armor

MV5BZGZhOGU4ZmYtZDFlYy00ZWYwLTkyMGYtNjkx

Barbara Stanwyck obtained one of her signature roles in the affecting Stella Dallas, a wonderful film. Both she and Anne Shirley were Oscar nominated for it.

MV5BMmE3YTMzZWItMWFhYi00MzIzLTk4OTEtZWE5

Sylvia Sidney, Joel McCrea, Humphrey Bogart, and Claire Trevor (not to mention the Dead End Kids) were trapped in the slums in Dead End.

DeadEnd.png

Ronald Colman starred in The Prisoner of Zenda, one of the screen's best swashbucklers.

The_Prisoner_of_Zenda_1937_film_poster.j

Stand-In was a lampoon of Hollywood with Leslie Howard, Joan Blondell, and Humphrey Bogart. This sounds most intriguing.

Stand-In_(1937,_Movie_Poster).jpg

Dorothy Lamour and her sarongs shot to stardom following the release of The Hurricane, a classic disaster film with Jon hall, Mary Astor, C Aubrey Smith, Thomas Mitchell, Raymond Massey, and John Carradine

MV5BNzIxNWE5MmQtYWMwYi00M2UwLThiMDAtYzk4

Murder on Diamond Row was a crime saga from England.

%22The_Squeaker%22_(1937).jpg

Ian Hunter starred in 52nd Street, a musical

MV5BOWE1MGI2MmItNzgxNi00Mjg3LTljNGQtNWMx

Carole Lombard made her only film in color with Nothing Sacred, a gleefully wicked satire filled with one delicious joke after another. Fredric March was the male lead, with Walter Connelly making an impact as a newspaper editor named Oliver Stone!

MV5BNTRkY2MxYTMtYzNiZC00NzZkLTllOTUtMzgw

• Like 5

Another good year.

1. Dead End - among my favorites of the year by any studio
  2. You Only Live Once
  3. The Prisoner of Zenda
  4. A Star Is Born
  5. Nothing Sacred
  6. Stella Dallas
  7. The Man Who Could Work Miracles
  8. Knight Without Armor
  9. Fire Over England
  10. Stand-In

I've also seen Love from a Stranger and The Hurricane.

• Thanks 1

We're getting independent releases from David Selznick and Walter Wanger now, and this ups the quality-- along with more films from Sam Goldwyn and Alexander Korda. 

The remake of LOVE WITH A STRANGER would not be released through UA...it would be with Eagle-Lion.

THE STAND-IN is an observant comedy of the moviemaking process. It reunites Humphrey Bogart and Leslie Howard, who previously costarred in THE PETRIFIED FOREST and were good friends off-camera. Bogart's wife Mayo Methot pushed for him to do this picture, because she was upset by how Warners had been typecasting him in gangster roles. So he plays a more intellectual character in STAND-IN. Plus it's a rare comedy for him. He and Howard have a field day, and so does Joan Blondell as the female lead.

STORM IN A TEACUP features an excellent supporting turn by Sara Allgood, who would soon leave England and venture to Hollywood where she'd find more character roles.

Rex Harrison also appears in MEN ARE NOT GODS. 

VOGUES OF 1938 is a very enjoyable piece of fluff. And I think it was Joan Bennett's first film in Technicolor.

THE HURRICANE has a stunning final sequence. Plus fine supporting performances by Mary Astor, Raymond Massey and C. Aubrey Smith.

DEAD END is by far the best of the bunch, and of course The Dead End Kids would go on to make follow-up films at Warner Brothers.

• Thanks 1

Some very good movies this year. I only wish I was familiar with more of them.

Dead End is among the best movies William Wyler directed.

Fredric March gave a great performance in A Star is Born, and the ending of Stella Dallas is not to be missed.

I also like Nothing Sacred; I think this was the first movie with Carole Lombard that I ever saw.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings