Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's with me here? How about a NEO-Noir series on TCM now?

Dargo

And perhaps also hosted by Eddie Muller. (although I could easily envision our friend CigarJoe around here doing this gig too)

Seems I've now seen almost every film that Eddie introduces (and very well I might add) on his Noir Alley series at least a few times in the past, and so how about some "new (cinematic) blood" here!

My initial film suggestions for this series would be the following:

L.A. Confidential (1997)

Body Heat (1981)

The Last Seduction (1994)

Blood Simple (1984)

Red Rock West (1993)

So, whaddaya think here, folks?

(...oh and btw...the first person who tells me these films are not "classics" and solely and/or primarily because they were produced after the fall of the studio system era, is gonna find demsleves sleepin' wit' da fishes...well okay, not really, but you know what I mean here)

• Like 11

The Grifters and Something Wild (Jeff Daniels, Melanie Griffith, Ray Liotta) would also work. I haven't seen any of Lawrence's suggestions. For my taste, there's something a little too self-conscious about films like The Last Seduction and Red Rock West. One essential of classic film noir is that you're unaware that you're making "classic film noir." I do think that a Neo-Noir theme for one month would be interesting.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And perhaps also hosted by Eddie Muller. (although I could easily envision our friend CigarJoe around here doing this gig too)

Seems I've now seen almost every film that Eddie introduces (and very well I might add) on his Noir Alley series at least a few times in the past, and so how about some "new (cinematic) blood" here!

L.A. Confidential (1997)

Body Heat (1981)

Blood Simple (1984)

Red Rock West (1993)

(...oh and btw...the first person who tells me these films are not "classics" and solely and/or primarily because they were produced after the fall of the studio system era, is gonna find demsleves sleepin' wit' da fishes...well okay, not really, but you know what I mean here)

I'm for it! L.A. Confidential was a great film! 

• Like 1

I'll give you my current chronological list of Transitional Noirs & Neo Noirs from 1960.

1960s

Girl Of The Night (1960)

Never let Go (1960) 

Murder, Inc. (1960)

The Savage Eye (1960) 

The 3rd Voice (1960)

Why Must I Die? (1960)

20,000 Eyes (1961)

Blast Of Silence (1961) 

The Young Savages (1961) 

Night Tide (1961) 

Underworld USA (1961) 

Something Wild (1961) 

All Fall Down (1962)

Cape Fear (1962) 

Experiment In Terror (1962) 

Manchurian Candidate (The)(1962) 

Private Property (1962) 

Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962) 

Satan in High Heels (1962) 

Shock Corridor (1962) 

Stark Fear (1962) 

Le concerto de la peur (1963)

Twilight Of Honor (1963) 

The Naked Kiss (1964) 

The Pawnbroker (1964)

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

Lorna (1964)

The Glass Cage (1964) 

The Thrill Killers (1964) 

Strange Compulsion (1964) 

The Strangler (1964)

Angel's Flight (1965)

Brainstorm (1965) 

Flesh and Lace (1965)

Hot Skin And Cold Cash (1965)

Love Statue (The)(1965)

Mirage (1965)

Once A Thief (1965) 

Tell Me in the Sunlight (1965) 

Who Killed Teddy Bear (1965) 

Aroused (1966) 

Mister Buddwing (1966) 

Espions à l'affût (aka Heat Of Midnight) (1966)

Seconds (1966) 

Rage (1966)

Harper (1966) 

The Chase (1966)

The Velvet Trap (1966) 

In The Heat Of The Night (1967) 

In Cold Blood (1967) 

The Incident (1967)

Oddo (1967)

The Outsider (1967)

Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967)

Sweet Love, Bitter (1967)

The Sex Killer aka The Girl Killer (1967)

A Sweet Sickness (1968)

Some Like It Violent (1968)

The Pick-Up (1968)

Career Bed (1969)

Marlowe (1969) 

Shame, Shame, everybody knows your name (1969)

The Honeymoon Killers (1969) 

1970s

Darker Than Amber (1970) 

Shaft  (1971)

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971)

Across 110th Street (1971) 

The Getaway (1971) 

Get Carter (1971) 

Hickey & Boggs (1972) 

Fat City (1972) 

Trick Baby (1972)

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) 

The Long Goodbye (1973)

The Mad Bomber (1973)

Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia (1974) 

The Nickel Ride (1974) 

Chinatown (1974) 

Death Wish (1974)

Lenny (1974) 

Road Movie (1974) 

Mr. Ricco (1975)

The Psychic Killer (1975) 

The Drowning Pool (1975) 

Farewell My Lovely (1975)

Night Moves (1975) 

Seven Beauties (1975) 

Taxi Driver (1976) 

The Killer Inside Me (1976) 

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)

Mikey and Nicky (1976)

Bad (1977) 

The Late Show (1977)

The Big Sleep (1978)

1980s

Dressed to Kill (1980) 

Union City (1980) 

Body Heat (1981) 

Thief (1981)

Blade Runner (1982) 

Hammett (1982) 

Vice Squad (1982)

Tchao Pantin (So Long, Stooge) (1983)

Blood Simple (1984) 

Paris, Texas (1984) 

Tightrope (1984)

To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

After Hours (1985)

Blue Velvet (1986) 

Eight Million Ways To Die (1986)

Angel Heart (1987)

Ironweed (1987) 

Siesta (1987)

Slam Dance (1987)

Warm Nights on a Slow Moving Train (1988)

Kill Me Again (1989)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kingrat said:

For my taste, there's something a little too self-conscious about films like The Last Seduction and Red Rock West. One essential of classic film noir is that you're unaware that you're making "classic film noir."

I always considered that knowing, referential aspect as what distinguishes "neo-noir" from "noir". But maybe I misunderstood the delineation. 

• Like 2

1990s

The Grifters (1990) 

The Kill-Off (1990)

The Hot Spot (1990) 

Wild At Heart (1990) 

Impulse (1990)

Dick Tracy (1990) 

Delicatessen (1991) 

A Rage In Harlem (1991)

Delusion (1991) 

Reservoir Dogs (1992) 

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992) 

The Public Eye (1992) 

Red Rock West (1993) 

Romeo Is Bleeding (1993)

True Romance (1993) 

The Wrong Man (1993) 

China Moon (1994) 

Pulp Fiction (1994) 

Natural Born Killers (1994)

Blink (1994)

Leaving Las Vegas (1995)

Se7en (1995) 

Fargo (1996) 

Hard Eight (1996) 

Mulholland Falls (1996) 

Hit Me (1996)

Cold Around The Heart (1997)

Jackie Brown (1997) 

L.A. Confidential (1997) 

Lost Highway (1997) 

A Gun, A Car, A Blonde (1997) 

The Big Empty (1997)

This World, Then the Fireworks (1997) 

Brown's Requiem (1998)

Dark City (1998) 

A Simple Plan (1998) 

The Big Lebowski (1998) 

Very Bad Things (1998)

Palmetto (1998)

Payback (1999)

Night Train (1999)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoyCronin said:

Could "The Bedroom Window" and/or "House of Games" qualify?  I'm no expert, but I think these might fit.

Happy to see "After Hours" listed....one of my favorites and early Linda Fiorentino!

House of Games yes Bedroom window is on my to see list.

Love After Hours and was so happy when TCM showed the film in the Underground slot. Wish it was shown more often though, only remember seeing it once on TCM. House of Games is also great and would love to see the film shown on TCM ( not sure but I don't think HOG has been shown)

• Like 2

I've been able to mention After Hours twice in two days:  here and I discussed the Griffin Dunne subway scene in the New York Subway thread.  That sequence had me roaring with laughter when Dunne didn't have the fare:

Paul Hackett:
Couldn't you just give me one token, please?

Subway Attendant:
I can't do that. I may lose my job.

Paul Hackett:
Well, who would know... exactly?

Subway Attendant:
I could go to a party, get drunk, talk to someone... who knows?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I always considered that knowing, referential aspect as what distinguishes "neo-noir" from "noir". But maybe I misunderstood the delineation. 

Yep, pretty much as how I too would sometimes think the filmmakers of neo-noirs might or would be after with their films.

Although in a way I can see what kingrat was saying in his above reply about the "over-referential" aspect or treatment to some of the later made films.

(...still though, and even though there might be this aspect to Red Rock West in particular, I remember REALLY liking this film the first time I ever watched it decades ago now, and was in all candor here, one of the primary reasons I started this thread)

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

You wouldn't include U Turn (1997) or The Limey (1999)?

I would I just haven't gotten around to reviewing them and putting them on the list. It's a work in progress.:D Like when I asked you about Pacino's Cruising (1980) it sounds from the reviews I've glanced at as another candidate for a Neo Noir.

I'm just finishing up a review of Looking For Mr. Goodbar (1977) so it will be on the list also.

Anyway for the 2000's I have....

2000s

Requiem For A Dream (2000)

The Man Who Wasn’t There (2001) 

Mulholland Drive (2001) 

Auto Focus (2002)

The Badge (2002)

Sin City (2005) 

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

Cidade Baixa (Lower City) (2005)

The Notorius Betty Page (2005)

The Black Dahlia (2006) 

36 Quai des Orfèvres (2006) 

Journey to the End of the Night (2006) 

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007) 

No Country For Old Men (2007) 

The Lookout (2007) 

Honeydripper (2007)

Across The Hall (2009) 

Dark Country (2009) 

The Missing Person (2009) 

The Killer Inside Me (2010)

Hotel Noir (2012)

The Iceman (2012)

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014)

Cop Car (2015)

Too Late (2015)

The American Side (2016) 

Hell or High Water (2016)

Nocturnal Animals (2016)

Frank & Lola (2016)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

L.A. Confidential (1997)

Body Heat (1981)

Blood Simple (1984)

Red Rock West (1993)

I'm in favor of this.  These are "classics" as far as I'm concerned.  I just watched Red Rock West last week.  Would love to see The Last Seduction again.  Mulholland Falls, Body Heat and LA Confidential are definitely classics by any definition.

Sorry, Cigarjoe, but your lists are too long for my limited concentration.  Also have not even heard of most of the ones I skimmed over.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Sorry, Cigarjoe, but your lists are too long for my limited concentration.  Also have not even heard of most of the ones I skimmed over.

No problem, the lists are there as a reference for all to check out when ever you want to. Though remember they are a work in progress and I'll add more as I find them.

You never heard of them because they are never shown anywhere they are under the Noir-dar screen. :D 

Somebody's gotta take a bullet for the rest of you. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

No problem, the lists are there as a reference for all to check out when ever you want to. Though remember they are a work in progress and I'll add more as I find them.

You never heard of them because they are never shown anywhere they are under the Noir-dar screen. :D 

Somebody's gotta take a bullet for the rest of you. 

Wow! How "noir" can ya freakin' GET here, CJ?!!!

Talk about livin', breathin' AND dyin' a whole movie genre..ahem..I mean style here, dude!

(...and which now brings me back to you hostin' this kind'a thing on TCM...now, I HOPE you possess as mellifluous and commanding a speaking voice as I possess OR this thing just ain't gonna happen for ya, ya know!) 

LOL

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I'm in favor of this.  These are "classics" as far as I'm concerned.  I just watched Red Rock West last week.  Would love to see The Last Seduction again.  Mulholland Falls, Body Heat and LA Confidential are definitely classics by any definition.

So Cid. As I mentioned earlier in this thing, it's been decades since I've watched it, and so I'd like to know what you thought of Red Rock West

(...did you also think it too "referential" and thus perhaps too "self-conscious" and as kingrat mentioned earlier that he found it to be, or not so much so?)

of those not mentioned.... 1995's Devil and a Blue Dress would be a shoo-in with its 40s setting.

Of all things, Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) comes to mind for its noir undercurrents hiding underneath the cartoon and comedy layers.

1996's City hall has a weak final scene or two but unveils the same type of corruption that noir reveled in (Plus Al Pacino and Danny Allio are quite good in it)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

of those not mentioned.... 1995's Devil and a Blue Dress would be a shoo-in with its 40s setting.

Of all things, Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) comes to mind for its noir undercurrents hiding underneath the cartoon and comedy layers.

1996's City hall has a weak final scene or two but unveils the same type of corruption that noir reveled in (Plus Al Pacino and Danny Allio are quite good in it)

Yeah! I've always thought WFRR would make a great double bill with another (but of course much more serious) fictionalized take on some of the history of Los Angeles' "infrastructure".

(...I'm of course speaking of that film where the director of it slices Jack Nicholson's nose with a switchblade in one particular scene of note)

Just now, Dargo said:

Yeah! I've always thought WFRR would make a great double bill with another (but of course much more serious) fictionalized take on some of the history of Los Angeles' "infrastructure".

(...I'm of course speaking of that film where the director of it slices Jack Nicholson's nose with a switchblade in one particular scene of note)

yes, Chinatown! i actually have a film book written by an esteemed British writer David Thornton, who feels the same way, that they are nearly comparable to one another, and that Roger Rabbit is a far better followup to Chinatown than its actual sequel The Two Jakes was (that film had its moments though).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings