Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A United Artists Retrospective Scrapbook: 1940

The Lion has Wings was a propaganda film meant to raise British morale in World War II

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Lion_has_Wings.jpg

Laurel and Hardy were reunited for A Chump at Oxford.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is L&H_Chump_at_Oxford_1940.jpg

Walter Pidgeon fell for married woman Joan Bennett in the House Across the Bay. Did I mention she was married to a gangster? George Raft, Lloyd Nolan, and Gladys George costarred.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Joanbennett7.jpg

Bryan Aherne's overly spoiled son Louis Hayward grew up rotten in My Son! My Son!

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is My_Son,_My_Son!_FilmPoster.jpeg

Victor Mature and Carole Landis were cavepeople in One Million BC

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is OneMillion.jpg

Laurel and Hardy returned for Saps at Sea

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Saps-at-sea.jpg

Adolphe Menjou and Carole Landis played a couple who mysteriously swapped bodies in Turnabout.

MV5BMjE4MzI0Nzk1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzMx

Conquest of the Air was an aerial documentary.

MV5BYmMzZWVmOTEtMjg1ZC00ZjZhLTgyMGUtMzgx

Thornton Wilder's classic play Our Town made it to the big screen. The ending was changed, but it was still a wonderful film. With Martha Scott and William Holden.

Original_movie_poster_for_the_film_Our_T

And then, an all-time classic: Rebecca with Joan Fontaine, Lawrence Olivier, and the unforgettable Judith Anderson under the watchful direction of Alfred Hitchcock making his American debut. It won for Best Picture.

MV5BYTcxYWExOTMtMWFmYy00ZjgzLWI0YjktNWEz

After that it was off to the islands with South of Pago Pago

MV5BZTQ1NDAxNzktMjVhMS00ODBhLTgzYjctYjhi

Victor Mature and Alan Ladd were out to sea in Captain Caution.

MV5BNTA4MTZhZjktODIxMi00N2IzLTk1NjMtYzgy

Foreign Correspondent proved that there was more than one wonderful Hitchcock classic at UA in 1940.....

MV5BNmM3ZGE4Y2EtNGFlMS00YjE5LWExYzYtYzQy

Jon Hall was out to the West as Kit Carson.

Kit-carson-movie-poster-1940-1010292843.

Pastor Hall was one of the first anti-Nazi films

%22Pastor_Hall%22_(1940).jpg

Gary Cooper scored with the Westerner and Walter Brennan won his third Oscar for playing Judge Roy Bean.

The_Westerner_Poster.jpg

John Ford came to UA to make The Long Voyage Home, with John Wayne, from the Eugene O'Neill play. It was a strong film, and the film debut for veteran character actress Mildred Natwick.

Original_movie_poster_for_the_film_The_L

Contraband was a spy film made by the soon-to-be-famous Powell and Pressburger, better known as The Archers.

Contraband_poster.jpg

Charlie Chaplin returned with the landmark skewering of Hitler known as The Great Dictator.

The_Great_Dictator.jpg

The year closed with a fantasy landmark, The Thief of Baghdad.

MV5BNjMwYzJkZjktZTM2Ni00YmMwLWJkMzItNTRj

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

George Raft fell for married woman Joan Bennett in the House Across the Bay. Did I mention she was married to a gangster? Walter Pidgeon, Lloyd Nolan, and Gladys George costarred.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Joanbennett7.jpg

This description is not correct. Bennett is married to Raft (playing a mobster). Raft gets sent to Alcatraz, and Bennett rents a house across the bay to be near her husband. She meets Walter Pidgeon and he falls for her. She remains faithful to Raft who of course breaks out of prison and comes for her. Raft is shot and killed by police, thus enabling Pidgeon to help Bennett pick up the pieces.

Alfred Hitchcock directed a sequence of this film as a favor for Archie Mayo.

Bennett and Raft liked working together. They had previously done a screwball comedy at Columbia-- 1935's SHE COULDN'T TAKE IT. And they would re-team for the 1945 musical NOB HILL.

23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This description is not correct. Bennett is married to Raft (playing a mobster). Raft gets sent to Alcatraz, and Bennett rents a house across the bay to be near her husband. She meets Walter Pidgeon and he falls for her. She remains faithful to Raft who of course breaks out of prison and comes for her. Raft is shot and killed by police, thus enabling Pidgeon to help Bennett pick up the pieces.

Alfred Hitchcock directed a sequence of this film as a favor for Archie Mayo.

Bennett and Raft liked working together. They had previously done a screwball comedy at Columbia-- 1935's SHE COULDN'T TAKE IT. And they would re-team for the 1945 musical NOB HILL.

Sorry. Will fix.

• Thanks 1

I love CONTRABAND. It's a good mixture of spy intrigue and comedy. Conrad Veidt was good in comedy, although he rarely appeared in a comic role. Valerie Hobson is one of my favorite British actresses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I love CONTRABAND. It's a good mixture of spy intrigue and comedy. Conrad Veidt was good in comedy, although he rarely appeared in a comic role. Valerie Hobson is one of my favorite British actresses.

Valerie Hobson is also one of my favorites. She's vastly underrated.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 7:24 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Gary Cooper scored with the Westerner and Walter Brennan won his third Oscar for playing Judge Roy Bean.

The_Westerner_Poster.jpg

One of the most unique westerns ever made. Walter Brennan plays one of the most unusual villains ever on screen. He was a guy who would hang a man at the drop of a hat and next would act like a lovesick schoolboy over his crush on a famous actress. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings