Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lost power around 7pm. Fortunately I live on a low floor in a building with 30 floors. This is the fourth or fifth blackout I've been through in NYC.  Times Square, Lincoln Center, most of the West Side was affected. Theaters evacuated. And it's a pretty hot night, but fairly low humidity. Power came back on around 10:30pm.

8 hours ago, hamradio said:

Cause was a transformer fire, expected to be back on around midnight

And on a Saturday. A lot of people's night for getting wild even without a blackout.

Might be some interesting news items to come.

How Some New Yorkers Found Bliss in the Blackout

They roasted hot dogs on the pavement and cracked open champagne from a warming fridge. “I loved the darkness,” one said.

CreditGabriela Bhaskar for The New York Times

Image14BLACKOUT-SCENE-1-articleLarge-v3.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale
CreditCreditGabriela Bhaskar for The New York Times
  • July 14, 2019

A major blackout had knocked out power to much of the West Side of Manhattan on Saturday night, but Danielle Allen sat in the crook of a doorway with the blissed-out look of a sunbather.

“It’s beautiful,” said Ms. Allen, a songwriter, gazing at sidewalks filled with neighbors who had abandoned their apartments (too hot) and traffic that was moving even slower than usual (dormant traffic lights).

“If it didn’t happen, everyone would be inside in the air-conditioning,” she said. “And now they are out in Hell’s Kitchen, enjoying the breeze.”

The power failure, apparently caused by a malfunctioning substation, disrupted life for hundreds of thousands of people in Manhattan for several hours on a warm summertime weekend evening.

But from the men roasting hot dogs over a candle on the pavement to the friends using the excuse of a warming fridge to crack open champagne, some New Yorkers did not curse the darkness — they often seemed to enjoy it.

CreditJeenah Moon/Reuters
merlin_157913394_dd382fc7-f9a2-49cc-8a61

Imagemerlin_157913394_dd382fc7-f9a2-49cc-8a61-58f205733614-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale
CreditJeenah Moon/Reuters

13blackout21-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75

13blackout21-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

In Times Square, the lights had gone out on Broadway about an hour before curtain, and shows had stayed dark. But cast members cheered up disappointed patrons with impromptu street-side songs.

Outside “Hadestown,” a horn tootled as André De Shields belted a riff on its opening number, subbing in blackout-related themes.

Businesses, from restaurants and bars to movie theaters, lost money. And it was a hectic night for police officers, firefighters and other emergency personnel.

There were no reports of deaths from the blackout, the authorities said.

The power failed at 6:47 p.m., and it was at least three hours before it began returning in stages.

At 46th Street, first it was a traffic light that went from yellow to green in an instant.

A man began dancing as he crossed, singing the words “Can you feel it.”

Then, the bright lights inside Healthy Mart, at the corner of 45th Street and 10th Avenue, followed suit, illuminating the store’s operator, Alla Saleh, 32, who sighed in relief behind the counter.

“I lost a lot of ice cream, a lot of food,” he said. “We lost a lot of money.”

But just 10 blocks downtown, it was still lights out at AM-PM Deli — almost.

Mohsen Nadi, 56, the owner, had borrowed a generator from a friend who is a hot-dog vendor.

It whirred on the sidewalk and generated enough watts to illuminate a single bulb in the store.

“We could have closed, but it’s not the money, we just want to enjoy,” Mr. Nadi said as he chit-chatted with his son and a friend in the shop. “It’s for the fun, fun, fun.”

merlin_157914105_71c20764-1d80-4ea1-961e

merlin_157914105_71c20764-1d80-4ea1-961e-bc1f5470c716-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale
CreditMichael Noble Jr. for The New York Times

merlin_157915056_f55f72a9-5f2f-4a5a-b57d

merlin_157915056_f55f72a9-5f2f-4a5a-b57d-46a469bbad7a-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Still, the power-haves — gloating with their crisply blowing air-conditioners while power have-nots sweated — set off some grousing.

Sweltering in his apartment, Larry Moran, who works in real estate, escaped outdoors in Hell’s Kitchen.

“I was reading on the internet that 40th Street and Columbus Circle was out of power, and I’m on 37th with my power on, and then an hour later they get their power on and mine goes off,” he said. “It seems like there’s a hidden agenda going on.” 

When a doorman called and told a woman named Katherine that the lights were back on at her home on West 52nd Street, she skipped back from Chelsea. She flicked a little flashlight back and forth on the sidewalk as she hustled through a still darkened-patch of the city.

She had weathered the blackout at a friend’s apartment.

“I called my friend — she said, ‘I have power, I have air-conditioning.’” she said. “I said, ‘I have a bottle of champagne that’s going to get warm, I’m coming down to Chelsea.’”

“It’s a great New York story. You may have had a hardship through it, for a minute or two, but people come together,” she said.

She darted her flashlight at the streetscape, packed with people hanging out in the dark. “The world is out here.”

By midnight, the power was back across Manhattan.

Alex Cedeno, 53, a construction worker, had spent the blackout on his stoop in Hell’s Kitchen. His TV had shut off and his air-conditioning had died, but he found other entertainment, he said: watching “pretty ladies walk by.”

A half-hour after everything was back to normal, Mr. Cedeno was still out there. “It’s kind of cool,” he said. “I loved the darkness.”

• Thanks 1

The blackout was caused by a transformer problem at the Con Ed building on 64th Street and West End Avenue, which is down the block and across the street from me. I like having that plant there, because when there's a big snowstorm, they are very good about shoveling the snow around the block.

The hardest hit were elderly people who live on high floors. Many of them were given chairs to sit in front of the building, where the super took charge of the situation and gave them bottles of water. It was hot, but really not too bad. One inebriated neighbor returned from a cocktail party and demanded to be walked up many flights to her apartment. She was told that it was unsafe, particularly in her condition, so she remained outside. Most people took it all in stride, though.

NYC Blackout: Mayor Bill De Blasio Taking Heat For Power Outage Absence

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/4125039-nyc-blackout-mayor-bill-de-blasio-taking-heat-for-power-outage-absence/

Lol this is just a taste of things to come, wait until you become president.  You will be blamed for every outage from California to Puerto Rico. 

Want to reconsider running. :lol:

debalsio.jpg

Well I was really impressed with the difference in people's attitudes between 42 years ago and this week. We think the world is a more hostile environment, then the biggest city in the world shows us true humanity. Thank you, New York!

• Like 1