Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lashana Lynch will play 007 in new James Bond movie: report

Sukhov

007 is going to be female now!

https://nypost.com/2019/07/14/lashana-lynch-cast-as-007-in-new-james-bond-movie-report/

James Bond fans wanting 007 to be either black or female are in for a double treat — with the movie spy about to be played by a black woman, according to a report on Sunday.

British actress Lashana Lynch, 31, will be introduced as the new 007 in what is being described as a ‘popcorn-dropping moment’ in the franchise’s 25th movie that is currently being filmed, according to the Mail on Sunday.

But it is not a complete do-over — with her just taking James Bond’s secret agent number after he retires from MI6, the report states.

Bond himself will still be played by Daniel Craig — and will still adhere to his old-fashioned macho characteristics, an insider told the UK paper.

‘Bond, of course, is sexually attracted to the new female 007 and tries his usual seduction tricks, but is baffled when they don’t work on a brilliant, young black woman who basically rolls her eyes at him and has no interest in jumping into his bed,” a source told the Mail.

The insider called it a “pivotal scene” when Bond is called back from retirement and introduced to Lynch as the new 007.

“It’s a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he’s been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman,” the source told the Mail.

Londoner Lynch, who played the fighter pilot Maria Rambeau in “Captain Marvel”, is hoped to modernize the franchise criticized by many as being too dated and sexist.

“This is a Bond for the modern era who will appeal to a younger generation while sticking true to what we all expect in a Bond film,” the source said.

“There are spectacular chase sequences and fights, and Bond is still Bond but he’s having to learn to deal with the world of #MeToo.”

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

If true, this is quite interesting. 

Thanks for posting.

If it's true, it means they finally DID dig up that old memo about spinning off a side movie for Halle Berry's Jynx from Die Another Day (2002).  (Which was one of the things that killed off the Pierce Brosnan run in the first place, and almost the entire series, before Daniel Craig came along.)

And also, that it makes us feel less guilty about those "Did Craig break the series?" and "Is it about time to just wrap up the whole darn thing?" discussions we had after "Spectre".  😥  Pers., I always thought if 007 needed its own Endgame-finale, you couldn't have written a more perfectly realized one than "Skyfall" (🎵 "This is the end..."), but the two twists in "Spectre" tied full-circle loose ends up nicely.

There's every reason to believe it ISN'T--like "Loopy British tabloid-clickbait rumors", Variety somehow missing out on the "scoop", and "Hey, guys, it's gonna be that cool black girl from Captain Marvel!"--but if it is, we've had the "What if Bond was a woman/black?" argument for twenty years, and like they say, you can't throw out the dirty diapers until you give the baby his bottle.  Me, I'm going with "Loopy British tabloid rumors" until we hear better--Dear gods, they do get loopy.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure they already had Craig's Bond hit on and be rebuffed by the black lady who plays Moneypenny in one of the recent Bond movies, but oh well, you can't stick it to the white heterosexual male enough these days.

So, I found the thread title just a bit misleading or gotcha! tricky. They have not actually cast a black woman to play Bond, and there doesn't seem to be any indication at this point that Lynch will be moving on the helm the franchise after this film. It's like ha ha ha fooled you, 007 doesn't necessarily mean Bond! The Post surely knew they would grab more readers with a headline that is technically correct but will be misinterpreted by 99 per cent of people until they read the article.

• Like 1

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

So, I found the thread title just a bit misleading or gotcha! tricky. They have not actually cast a black woman to play Bond, and there doesn't seem to be any indication at this point that Lynch will be moving on the helm the franchise after this film. It's like ha ha ha fooled you, 007 doesn't necessarily mean Bond! The Post surely knew they would grab more readers with a headline that is technically correct but will be misinterpreted by 99 per cent of people until they read the article.

The definition of "click-bait".

• Like 1

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 6.21.56 PM.png

My take on it is that she would be groomed to take over. Seems like if she's a hit, then Craig would hand the franchise over to her.

If I were writing it, he'd come back out of retirement. Work with her on one last case. They fall in love and marry at the end.

And like what happened in ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, one of them would be killed by an avenging assassin. Only instead of the woman dying, this time Craig's character would die. So it would mark the end of a male led Bond. And in the follow up, after Lynch's character takes over, she is trying to nail the person who killed James.

Since James is dead, she is free to have new romantic conquests of her own in subsequent films. They could keep the franchise going for another 20 pictures this way, with women Bonds and their love interests (Bond boys).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

My take on it is that she would be groomed to take over. Seems like if she's a hit, then Craig would hand the franchise over to her.

And like what happened in ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, one of them would be killed by an avenging assassin. Only instead of the woman dying, this time Craig's character would die. So it would mark the end of a male led Bond. And in the follow up, after Lynch's character takes over, she is trying to nail the person who killed James.

Only now it's starting to sound like Peter Sellers or Woody Allen taking over for "old" David Niven.  We've been there, thanks.  😓

b4f561902e5ad8db004e4657e4bc73b0.jpg

And wasn't "You killed the girl from the last movie!"  "Well, I'm getting revenge against you for killing the killer of the girl in that movie!" pretty much the same still-Bourne material that ultimately sank the Craig movies?  If it wasn't for Skyfall-mania, Quantum of Solace would have thrown the last shovelful on the franchise like Timothy Dalton and "Licence to Kill" ended the "old-school" Broccoli years.

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm pretty sure they already had Craig's Bond hit on and be rebuffed by the black lady who plays Moneypenny in one of the recent Bond movies, but oh well, you can't stick it to the white heterosexual male enough these days.

They tried to have Moneypenny as the partner in "Spectre", but her character said at the end she wasn't cut out for the agent life, and was happy to be....Bond's flirtatious ultra-enabled secretary back at HQ.  With "Spectre" trying to tie all the Broccoli-Bond canon into the post-Skyfall Bond, that was a good touch, and "modern women's roles" without being obnoxious.  👍

(The snotty young Q still needs work, but at least it's less painful than John Cleese.)

My take is that this was meant to be a cute little fake-out moment that would amuse the audience while also slyly touching on the identity-politics casting grievances of the past 25 years or so, when I first started hearing calls for Bond to be a different race/gender/sexuality (back then Sharon Stone and Rupert Everett were both heavily touted for the role). 

Of course, the shock of the moment will now be lost due to this "leak", but it may have been an effort to change gears on the reportage on the film's production, distracting from the numerous behind-the-scenes troubles so far. 

I think Lynch will play her non-Bond 007 role in this film, but I'm not sure about a spin-off series, or her taking the lead in the primary series. That may change if there's an overwhelming embrace of the character/performance. Series producer Barbara Broccoli tends to cast better-known stars, but things change, so who knows at this point?

*walks in, straightening shirt*

I'm amused because I know how much this is going to annoy the racist, sexist Bond fanboys who are probably already whining, "No way! 007 can't be a black woman!" somewhere.

That said, if this is true, I think it's pretty cool.

15 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

007 is going to be female now!

https://nypost.com/2019/07/14/lashana-lynch-cast-as-007-in-new-james-bond-movie-report/

James Bond fans wanting 007 to be either black or female are in for a double treat — with the movie spy about to be played by a black woman, according to a report on Sunday.

British actress Lashana Lynch, 31, will be introduced as the new 007 in what is being described as a ‘popcorn-dropping moment’ in the franchise’s 25th movie that is currently being filmed, according to the Mail on Sunday.

But it is not a complete do-over — with her just taking James Bond’s secret agent number after he retires from MI6, the report states.

Bond himself will still be played by Daniel Craig — and will still adhere to his old-fashioned macho characteristics, an insider told the UK paper.

‘Bond, of course, is sexually attracted to the new female 007 and tries his usual seduction tricks, but is baffled when they don’t work on a brilliant, young black woman who basically rolls her eyes at him and has no interest in jumping into his bed,” a source told the Mail.

The insider called it a “pivotal scene” when Bond is called back from retirement and introduced to Lynch as the new 007.

“It’s a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he’s been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman,” the source told the Mail.

Londoner Lynch, who played the fighter pilot Maria Rambeau in “Captain Marvel”, is hoped to modernize the franchise criticized by many as being too dated and sexist.

“This is a Bond for the modern era who will appeal to a younger generation while sticking true to what we all expect in a Bond film,” the source said.

“There are spectacular chase sequences and fights, and Bond is still Bond but he’s having to learn to deal with the world of #MeToo.”

Well, I don't consider it racist or sexist, but I can't see a woman as Ian Fleming's 007.  They just need to end the series and come up with a completely new format for a black or female English spy if that is what they want. After all, there were other movie series about non-Bond English spies. 

Of course, the series has probably long deviated from what Fleming intended anyway.  Incidentally, I read all the books.  Yes, I know Fleming probably would not have envisioned Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton or some others in the role.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Well, I don't consider it racist or sexist, but I can't see a woman as Ian Fleming's 007.  They just need to end the series and come up with a completely new format for a black or female English spy if that is what they want. After all, there were other movie series about non-Bond English spies. 

Of course, the series has probably long deviated from what Fleming intended anyway.  Incidentally, I read all the books.  Yes, I know Fleming probably would not have envisioned Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton or some others in the role.

I'm not really a BOND fan, but I have seen a smattering of the movies, and I don't know if it's "canon" or not, but I have always assumed 007/ JAMES BOND/ Q and etc. were the code names for the positions and that each story is about who-ever is AGENT 007 at this place in time, and the position is evolving, and now it's going to be this lady, who I guess is going to be 007 JAMES BOND.

HONEST TO GOD, THE TIME TO DO THIS WAS IN 1985....

GRACE JONES AS JAMES BOND >>>>> ROGER MOORE AS JAMES BOND

Can you imagine A VIEW TO A KILL? It would have just been A VIEW OF GRACE JONES KILLING PEOPLE FOR AND HOUR AND FORTY MINUTES!!!!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm not really a BOND fan, but I have seen a smattering of the movies, and I don't know if it's "canon" or not, but I have always assumed 007/ JAMES BOND/ Q and etc. were the code names for the positions and that each story is about who-ever is AGENT 007 at this place in time, and the position is evolving, and now it's going to be this lady, who I guess is going to be 007 JAMES BOND.

Yes, M and are position titles (M short for minister [government not clergy], and Q for quartermaster), while the double 0 designation is also non-specific, as it simply refers to the agents that have operational clearance to engage in lethal combat if necessary (license to kill). So the "007" designation can be shifted to other agents.

However, "James Bond", much like "Miss Moneypenny", refers to a specific individual, and is not a transferable job title. Whoever Lynch is playing for her brief appearance is not "James Bond" but she now has his former "007" designation, as Bond is retired at the beginning of this story, being drawn back into action by his American CIA contact Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright in the Daniel Craig/Bond movies, although the character has been around since the first Bond film Dr. No, when he was played by Jack Lord).

• Thanks 1

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the implications of this story are. Possibly the studio heads don't know yet themselves. But are they saying this is the final James Bond movie ever, and he will be replaced by the new 007? Leads to me think that maybe Bond is going to die in this movie, and they're hedging on actually saying that yet.

But if this is the last Bond movie and they're not hiring a new actor to specifically play Bond, that seems to be a much bigger story than "new woman playing a spy Bond hits on and is rebuffed". Sorta forest for the trees thing going on here maybe.

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

btw

I BROKE INTO TEARS in the theater at the age of 7 when GRACE died in A VIEW TO A KILL and was inconsolable for weeks.

Yeah, she was the best character in that. Should have survived. Should have just hopped off the platform as soon as it was out of the cave, and run like crazy back into the cave.

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I think Lynch will play her non-Bond 007 role in this film, but I'm not sure about a spin-off series, or her taking the lead in the primary series. That may change if there's an overwhelming embrace of the character/performance. Series producer Barbara Broccoli tends to cast better-known stars, but things change, so who knows at this point?

There was talk at one point, over 15 years by now, that there was going to be a spin-off action series based around Jinx, the Halle Berry character from Die Another Day. It never did happen, but the reason for that might have been because MGM was pretty hard-up at the time.

50 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

There was talk at one point, over 15 years by now, that there was going to be a spin-off action series based around Jinx, the Halle Berry character from Die Another Day. It never did happen, but the reason for that might have been because MGM was pretty hard-up at the time.

At the same time as Warner was trying to dig up old memos to try and get Batman jumpstarted again, and found Tim Burton's old memo of giving Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman her own spinoff.  In case you're ever wondering how Halle Berry ended up playing Catwoman (2004)...Warner sort of got the two memos confused.  😀

(It's called "Elektra syndrome", when studios don't really want to do a sequel to a troubled action film, and instead fall back on "Eh, fans really just wanted to see the SEXY BABE!--And the girls will think she's EMPOWERED!", and they go off and make another kickass-babe movie for Angelina Jolie or Scarlett Johansson...Yes, I'm looking at you, "Marvel Black Widow spinoff that Paramount wanted to fall back on when they tried to explain why Iron Man 2 hadn't been a hit".)

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Leads to me think that maybe Bond is going to die in this movie, and they're hedging on actually saying that yet.

I think it was leaked that he is retiring in the movie.

30 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think it was leaked that he is retiring in the movie

Yes, I read that as well, but I'd just always assumed (until now) they would go on with a new actor as they've always done before. The idea that they are completely retiring (or killing?) the character and are not going to do any James Bond movies per se, anymore, (but maybe still 007 movies with another character not named James Bond), seems like the real story here, since they've been such a part of the pop culture universe for more than 50 years. "Bond strikes out with the modern woman!" is kinda interesting and funny, but what seems to me to be the much bigger story is kinda hanging out there via implication but not really being reported on or discussed, as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings