Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE (1941)

Are there any Cagney fans on here?

I keep seeing people list this movie as their favorite, on other sites, but it's not as well known as movies like Gone With the Wind, etc. I don't think I'm EVER going to get to see it! Half of Cagney films aren't available. I think TCM only played like three of his feature-length movies... on his birthday! Other actors get more than that on a normal day. Please help by making a request. I have to ask you all because it's not gonna be played on TCM with just me asking and I'm DESPERATE.

Thanks.

Hi Kat, and welcome to the forums :)

TCM does show The Strawberry Blonde every now and then, although from what I can remember, it's been a while since the last time. You might also be interested in knowing that the movie has been released by Warner Home Video through its Warner Archives collection, although so far it's only an Amazon exclusive.

Hi back. Thanks for the warm welcome. =-)

I've done some checking around, but still haven't been able to get anything yet.

(It's a long story... ends with me having a headache. =( )

Anyway, thanks again.

Have a great evening.....

~Kat

Now you're just being a tease....

Haven't seen even a single clip, but everyone *raves* about it.

Just read that in January they played over 40 Cagney movies, including The Strawberry Blonde. Why didn't they do that for his birthday? I think they played 3 or 4. One was a short. No fair!

So glad to see other people are fans of this film, or are interested to see it. I can't say enough good things about The Strawberry Blonde, if you can buy it on DVD or on a good VHS tape, get it. You will watch it multiple times. And TCM should make it an essential.

Don't forget a terrific performance by the great Warners work horse "Alan Hale" as Cagney's father. Hale holds the record for playing the same role in 3 different decades. In 1922 he appeared as "Little John" in "Robin Hood" with Douglas Fairbanks and in 1938 in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn and in 1950's "Rouges of Sherwood Forest" with John Derek as Robins son. Sadly this was his final film, he died a year later...

right now on youtube, someone has The Strawberry Blonde entered for viewing. It appears the entire film is on, don't know how long it will be available. I was looking for the trailer which at one time was on TCM board.

mrroberts,

for what it's worth, the trailer is still in the TCM Media Room:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=76466

P.S. I was reading earlier in the DVD reviews forum that My Strawberry Blonde is soon going to be sold through the WB shop (the title is part of the Warner Archive Collection) for a much lower price than it had when it was an amazon exclusive.

It may be worth checking out, if you want a professional-quality recording of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this, but I wanted to thank the person that suggested this movie after reading the thread. And other people suggesting this and other Cagney movies.

Yes, this is partly a cheap attempt to get attention to the thread again for votes, or whatever, but it's still a good movie more people should see.

Thanks.