Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LKitten16

A movie a day

Every August I try to make it a point to watch at least one movie a day I've never seen. Of course it's harder for some since certain actors work is more known or shown more often, and to be honest some have movies with descriptions that don't interest me. However I've managed to pick at least one a day. There's actually 49 on my list. I'll be busy. Am just wondering is anyone else does this? Any actors you've seen most of their films? Any you haven't really seen any? 

I've seen everything being shown on the Henry Fonda, Marlon Brando, James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, and Kirk Douglas days. I've also seen all but one on the Liv Ullmann (The Abdication) and Rod Steiger (The Sergeant) days.

• Like 1

There was only one Jimmy Stewart film I can't remember watching, so after this year it might go from "never seen" to "rarely seen" for me, in which case I'll pick one that it's been a long time since I've watched. Henry Fonda, Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart, and Errol Flynn were difficult too. 

It's kind of like being a completist. I remember once it was a goal of mine to see all of Barbara Stanwyck's films. I was determined to be a Stanwyck completist. But at the time not all were available on home video. So out of 80-some films she made, I think I have seen them all except two (RED SALUTE and THE LADY GAMBLES). I also managed to see the three TV movies she made in the 1970s. And I will probably re-watch The Colbys at some point. It's fun to look at the whole career of a movie star, if possible.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:05 PM, LawrenceA said:

I've seen everything being shown on the Henry Fonda, Marlon Brando, James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, and Kirk Douglas days. I've also seen all but one on the Liv Ullmann (The Abdication) and Rod Steiger (The Sergeant) days.

I literally own every single film on Errol Flynn day. 

Remarkably though, I don't think I've ever watched Northern Pursuit

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I literally own every single film on Errol Flynn day. 

Remarkably though, I don't think I've ever watched Northern Pursuit

I don't know why I left him out, but I've seen every Errol Flynn movie, except for his "lost film".

39 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't know why I left him out, but I've seen every Errol Flynn movie, except for his "lost film".

It's harder for me to watch Errol's 1950s output.  I've seen: Kim, Against All Flags, Master of Ballantrae, Mara Maru, The Sun Also Rises and Too Much Too Soon.  While I enjoyed those films, it's hard seeing him looking so haggard.  Though, in films like 'Flags,' and 'Sun,' he still shows glimpses of his former panache. 

Too bad he didn't take better care of himself and evolved into a career like Cary Grant did as he aged.  Errol would have been fantastic as a worldly sophisticate or perhaps a little older James Bond. 

I also own a Errol Flynn documentary (Errol Flynn Adventures, I think) that came with the Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol 1. I can't bring myself to watch it because I know he'll die at the end and that makes me sad.  Not that I live in some delusion that he's still alive, but that's always the sad part of watching documentaries about people that I like. I don't want to know that they died (even though I do know, obviously). 

• Like 1

Dustin Hoffman is my "champion". I've seen 10 of the 11 films that are playing. Frankly, I never heard of The Tiger Makes Out. Looks like it was probably his first movie, and given his listing in the cast, his part must not be very big.

Probably unsurprising that Liv Ullman is at the bottom of my list. I've only seen two of the films in her lineup. I tend to take in foreign films in pretty measured doses.

Every other star, I've seen at least three of the films in their lineups.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Dustin Hoffman is my "champion". I've seen 10 of the 11 films that are playing. Frankly, I never heard of The Tiger Makes Out. Looks like it was probably his first movie, and given his listing in the cast, his part must not be very big.

I watched The Tiger Makes Out very recently. Hoffman is in it for about 2 minutes, if that.

• Thanks 1

I'm at 100% for Audrey Hepburn's day. And I'm only one short on Shirley MacLaine day (Woman Times Seven)

Lowest percentage day? Leila Hyams, but then again most of those films rarely air on TCM.

I've also seen all of the Dustin Hoffman day selections, now that I've seen The Tiger Makes Out. So that's 7 of them that I've seen all of.

My lowest percentage may be today's Red Skelton movies, of which I've only seen three. I've seen 9 of the Leila Hyams choices.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Probably unsurprising that Liv Ullman is at the bottom of my list. I've only seen two of the films in her lineup. I tend to take in foreign films in pretty measured doses.

Every other star, I've seen at least three of the films in their lineups.

Well they're not for everyone. I have seen the entire day's line up except the 2012 documentary on Liv and I will be sure to record it.

• Like 1