Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tarentino's upcoming once upon a time in hollywood already has strong reviews

spence

first of all I can already see it and have since I heard they were making this film  once upon a time in Hollywood with DiCaprio, pitt and margot Robbie as Sharon tate, will be highly controversial of course do to that manson-tate murders, but from all accounts that's a backdrop to the entire pic and early reviews are already very strong for it and given this pathetic cinematic year, it seems posed to be the first big Oscar contender, but don't forget about hanks as mister rogers and Scorsese's big the Irishmen either   anybody plan to check it out due the end f the month it's also important for fans of the city of Hollywood and moviemaking itself    thank you

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spence said:

first of all I can already see it and have since I heard they were making this film  once upon a time in Hollywood with DiCaprio, pitt and margot Robbie as Sharon tate, will be highly controversial of course do to that manson-tate murders, but from all accounts that's a backdrop to the entire pic and early reviews are already very strong for it and given this pathetic cinematic year, it seems posed to be the first big Oscar contender, but don't forget about hanks as mister rogers and Scorsese's big the Irishmen either   anybody plan to check it out due the end f the month it's also important for fans of the city of Hollywood and moviemaking itself    thank you

don't you just hate it when periods, question marks and capitals go on a wildcat strike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, povgramps said:

don't you just hate it when periods, question marks and capitals go on a wildcat strike

It is believed he might have some health problems. He's not messing around.

I was a bit taken aback a few days ago when my wife (who absolutely dislikes violent movies) told me she might like to go see this latest Tarantino film.

When I reminded her that his films usually contain a fair amount of violence, and considering this movie's plot is about the Manson family and so would most likely include some, she said she would cover her eyes during any gore scenes.

Turns out she's seen the TV ad for it and thought it looked like it might be a fun movie, and mentioned this scene of DiCaprio doing The Twist in it made her think this, and which was a scene in the trailer for it we saw before watching the film Yesterday at the local cinema the other night...

source.gif

(...actually, I think it's more because she's always thought Leo was very cute, and whether he's doin' The Twist or not...and yeah, I suppose he is kind'a cute...NOT as good lookin' as her ruggedly handsome husband of course, but still kind'a cute I suppose)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

I was a bit taken aback a few days ago when my wife (who absolutely dislikes violent movies) told me she might like to go see this latest Tarantino film.

When I reminded her that his films usually contain a fair amount of violence, and considering this movie's plot is about the Manson family and so would most likely include some, she said she would cover her eyes during any gore scenes.

That reminds me of the time I went to the show with some friends to see Deliverance when it was first released to the theatres. One of my pals, Steve, was a big burly guy known to have crushed opponents against the boards while playing hockey, turning them into human pancakes in the process.

But the "Squeal like a pig" scene with Ned Beatty and Bill McKinney had us all squirming in our seats. Steve simply said to me "Tell me when it's over." I glanced over at him after he said this and tough guy Steve was literally staring at the floor of the theatre while that scene played out, refusing to look at the big screen. He only looked up again after Burt Reynolds suddenly broke everything up with his bow and arrow. Never, I must admit, did I appreciate the arrival of Reynolds in any scene more than I did in that one.

Steve, by the way, was actually a sweet, sensitive guy. It's just that when he played hockey and checked someone along the boards he didn't know his own strength (which was tremendous).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, povgramps said:

Yep. They SHOULD get their(*ahem*) DO diligence! :D

As to the movie, I don't know much about it at this point.  I wonder if it's going to be a long one, like the other "Once Upon A Time" flicks ( "...In The West"  and "...In America")  I remember a few years ago , reading a review of a movie( to learn the gist of it) and the critic complaining about it's "long running time"( 2 hours!) and now I wonder if, due to the current movie goers seemingly short attention spans, if this movie will go past 90 minutes or so. 

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yep. They SHOULD get their(*ahem*) DO diligence! :D

As to the movie, I don't know much about it at this point.  I wonder if it's going to be a long one, like the other "Once Upon A Time" flicks ( "...In The West"  and "...In America")  I remember a few years ago , reading a review of a movie( to learn the gist of it) and the critic complaining about it's "long running time"( 2 hours!) and now I wonder if, due to the current movie goers seemingly short attention spans, if this movie will go past 90 minutes or so. 

Sepiatone

According to its IMDb webpage Sepia, its running time is a lengthy 161 minutes.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

and now I wonder if, due to the current movie goers seemingly short attention spans, if this movie will go past 90 minutes or so.

Actually, if anything, current movie goers have longer attention spans than the last generation.  Most popular movies these days are well over 2 hours long.  In fact, the last movie under 2 hours that was #1 box office champ of the year was Toy Story 3 back in 2010.  Six of the top 10 movies last year were over 2 hours long, and the #1 film so far this year (Avengers: Endgame) is 3 hours.  The recent Aladdin remake is over 2 hours, and the Dumbo remake is 1 hour 55 minutes (the original film was only 64 minutes).

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Turns out she's seen the TV ad for it and thought it looked like it might be a fun movie, and mentioned this scene of DiCaprio doing The Twist in it made her think this, and which was a scene in the trailer for it we saw before watching the film Yesterday at the local cinema the other night...

source.gif

(...actually, I think it's more because she's always thought Leo was very cute, and whether he's doin' The Twist or not...and yeah, I suppose he is kind'a cute...NOT as good lookin' as her ruggedly handsome husband of course, but still kind'a cute I suppose)

The whole plot of the film is up on Wikipedia if you want the whole thing spoiled for you, but if you don't, I'll tell you this: The violence in all of its bloodiness (reports out of Cannes say its one of the most violent scenes he has done, if not the most) comes at the very end, because that's when the Manson clan heads into the full picture. that's all I'll say, aside from this: expect the unexpected. The film also has constant strong language, some sexual contact, and drug use (it is 1969 after all) according to the official MPAA R rating.

• Thanks 1

I go to a lot of movies in the theater, and I've definitely noticed the trend of a lot of mainstream big-budget releases getting longer and longer in the last couple of years. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood looks fantastic from the trailers. They have managed to keep plot specifics pretty well under wraps (I'm not looking at the Wikipedia page). I'm still unsure how much it will actually have to do with the Manson Family. You should definitely go into a Tarantino film expecting graphic violence.

5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm still unsure how much it will actually have to do with the Manson Family. You should definitely go into a Tarantino film expecting graphic violence.

Expecting OUaTiH to be about the Mansons is like expecting Inglorious Basterds to be about Brad Pitt wielding a spiked bat.  Tarantino likes to change his ideas while filming, and never likes to stay on one urge too long.  (Although he technically first announced Basterds would be about the theater girl, and then played up "No, wait!" in the later press releases.)

I can't help wondering whether he'll try and tie the stuntman into Kurt Russell's from "Grindhouse: Death Proof", although 1969 is too early for Pitt to be doubling Dan Tanna from "Vega$". 

20 hours ago, Dargo said:

According to its IMDb webpage Sepia, its running time is a lengthy 161 minutes.

Hell, that's short compared to ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA's  close to 4 hour running time, but more on par with "....IN THE WEST's"  164 minutes.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 2:35 AM, Dargo said:

Again, your wife confirms her good taste.

I reacted the same way seeing the trailer for the first time yesterday. Amid all the "fun happy Hollywood" scenes, I just knew the culminating plot was going to turn to the Manson Family. I really, really hope the story focuses on Manson's early aspirations of stardom (with the Beach Boys, etc) and his failures resulting in megalomania. I find that aspect of his personality most fascinating & chilling, not the horrific murders themselves.

Closing your eyes doesn't work in a Tarantino film-the sound effects are often worse. I'll wait for this to come to the library, watch the end first (with sound off) to appreciate the editing/special effects artistry, then watch the movie up to that point.

Works for me!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TomJH said:

Reservoir Dogs was a one time viewing for me after getting through the sadism and violence of that scene. (And by that scene anyone who has seen the film will know the one I'm talking about).

Michael Madsen is a scary actor, especially in that he's so cool in his menace.

I just noticed while checking out the casting in the IMDb website for this film that actor Damian Lewis is playing Steve McQueen in it.

sidebar2.jpg

(...have said for years now that Lewis would make a damn good McQueen if a biopic would ever be done of The King of Cool)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings