Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Film Of James Bond Actors In Non Bond Films

Det Jim McLeod

The six men who played James Bond have been in many other films, what is your favorite (or performance if you prefer) in roles other than Bond?

THE ACTORS

Sean Connery

George Lazenby

Roger Moore

Timothy Dalton 

Pierce Brosnan

Daniel Craig

here's what I think:

Sean Connery-"The Untouchables" (1987) My favorite film of the 1980s, Connery got an Oscar for his role of the street cop who joins Eliot Ness in his pursuit of Al Capone. 

George Lazenby-haven't seen him in anything other than the Bond film.

Roger Moore-"The Naked Face" (1985) this one is kind of a guilty pleasure but very entertaining. Moore plays a psychiatrist suspected of murder. So he is more victim than hero. The supporting cast is excellent-Rod Steiger, Elliott Gould, Art Carney, Anne Archer and David Hedison.

Timothy Dalton -"The Lion In Winter" (1968) A great version of a play about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquataine. Dalton has a few good scenes as Phillip II. 

Pierce Brosnan-"The Fourth Protocol" (1987)-Brosnan plays a cold blooded Russian assassin pursued by rebellious British agent Michael Caine. When I saw this I was convinced Brosnan could be a good choice for Bond. 

Daniel Craig- "Infamous" (2006)- Craig is convicted killer Perry Smith and he is excellent. This follows his strange friendship with flamboyant author Truman Capote (Toby Jones) and the writing of "In Cold Blood"

• Like 3

I have a real fondness for Sean Connery in A Fine Madness.

I liked Daniel Craig in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo very much.

I have no favorites for any of the other actors who have played James Bond. If they hadn't played Bond, they could just as well have not existed for me.

Sean Connery as Trooper Joe Roberts in The Hill (1965)

George Lazenby as Senator in Saint Jack (1979)

Roger Moore as Sebastian Oldsmith in Shout at the Devil (1976).

Timothy Dalton as Lord Henry Darnly in Mary, Queen of Scots (1971).  The Lion In Winter is the runner up.

Pierce Brosnan as William Savage in The Deceivers (1988).

Daniel Craig as George Dyer in Love Is the Devil (1998).  Nothing comes close to his performance as Francis Bacon's lover.

• Like 2

• Sean Connery - The Hill, The OffenceRobin & Marian
  • George Lazenby - The Kentucky Fried MovieNever Too Young to Die
  • Roger Moore - Shout at the DevilThe Saint
  • Timothy Dalton - Flash GordonHot FuzzThe Lion in Winter
  • Pierce Brosnan - The Long Good FridayThe MatadorThe Ghost Writer
  • Daniel Craig - Layer CakeRoad to PerditionMunich
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Or "Sextette" with Mae West?

I can still hear Timothy singing "Love Will Keep Us Together" as he dances with 'the most beautiful woman in the world', an 80 year-old Mae West.

• Haha 1

I tried to come up with ones no one else has mentioned yet.

Sean Connery - The Man Who Would Be King

Timothy Dalton - The Rocketeer

Daniel Craig - The Road to Perdition

Roger Moore - Playing a guy pretending to be Roger Moore in The Cannonball Run

Pierce Brosnan - Umm, I dunno, how about the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair

George Lazenby - Seriously unfamiliar with his career outside of that one movie!

Most of these are tiny parts outside of the Connery ones!

Connery: Another Time Another Place, Marnie,  Murder on the Orient Express, Robin and Marian, The Great Train Robbery, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Russia House, First Knight

Lazenby: [shrug]

Moore: Interrupted Melody 

Dalton: The Lion in Winter, Agatha 

Brosnan: The Mirror Crack'd, mrs Doubtfire, Love Affair, The Mirror Has Two Faces and well, I found Mamma Mia to be the the guiltiest type of pleasure. Also liked the TV series Remington Steele.

Craig: Road to Perdition 

31 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Most of these are tiny parts outside of the Connery ones!

Connery: Another Time Another Place, Marnie,  Murder on the Orient Express, Robin and Marian, The Great Train Robbery, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Russia House, First Knight

Whether to choose Connery in The Great Train Robbery, Time Bandits, The Untouchables, or The Name of the Rose...

time-bandits-1981-agamemnon-sean-connery

ChlOQB5XEAAy-YW.jpg

Eh, Rose was too weird--I'll go with Robbery.

I'll second Timothy Dalton in The Rocketeer (and Flash Gordon), but my Pierce Brosnan pick goes to The Tailor of Panama--Brosnan's 007-fatigue led him to play nasty characters ever since.

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

We could also discuss least favorite choices. 

I so wanted to like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, if only Connery hadn't been in pre-retirement get-off-my-lawn mode for the entire picture.  😥

And I'll see the poster who mentioned Roger Moore in "Cannonball Run II", and raise him Roger Moore talking in a suspiciously familiar French accent at the end of Curse of the Pink Panther.

And if I mention Daniel Craig in The Golden Compass, half the readers here will remember for the first time in 12 years that such a movie existed.

• Thanks 1

Sean Connery in The Man Who Would be King and Murder on the Orient Express

Roger Moore in Shout at the Devil

Timothy Dalton in The Lion in Winter

Pierce Brosnan in The Ghost Writer

Daniel Craig  in Munich

I don't know anything about George Lazenby outside his stint as Bond

It seems that the next time TCM shows Never Too Young to Die, a bunch of you need to watch/record it and appreciate the cinematic legacy of George Lazenby.

nevertooyoung-2lazenby.png?w=660

thhBsGc3VFI0k6EnNUNREFKjHkQ.jpg

And he's equally impressive for the 30 seconds that he's in the fake trailer for That's Armageddon! which is featured in The Kentucky Fried Movie. But I may be prejudiced due to the clumsy waiter...

armageddon.jpg

5 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Roger Moore: If you haven't seen ffolkes (aka North Sea Hijack) (1980), do so ASAP.

Sean Connery: Look for him in a supporting role in Hell Drivers (1957). I can't quite believe that Stanley Baker (the lead in HD) was shortlisted alongside Connery for the first James Bond movie.

Really?! And here I would think Stanley Baker would have made more than a decent Bond.

He had that same sort of menacing presence that Connery had, and which to some extent Moore lacked and to which some extent Craig revived in this series of films.

The+dominator.jpg 

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

And I'll see the poster who mentioned Roger Moore in "Cannonball Run II", and raise him Roger Moore talking in a suspiciously familiar French accent at the end of Curse of the Pink Panther.

Moore was in the first Cannonball Run.

I almost said the Pink Panther movie. I hope I can give away the surprise twist after 35 years, but stop reading if you don't want to know. This was shot entirely after Peter Sellers' death, I think, but they incorporated some unused footage of him from some of the previous movies. Anyway, this guy has been trying to track Clouseau down for the whole movie, and near the end, he finds him, but doesn't know it. You see, Clouseau has had a face lift, and now he looks exactly like Roger Moore! But still sounds and acts like Clouseau. The guy thinks he's actually talking to Roger Moore. I actually saw this movie in the theater when I was in middle school, and it took a couple of minutes for me to grasp the joke. The idea that I was going to see Roger Moore in this movie was something I never would have guessed in a thousand years.

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I almost said the Pink Panther movie. I hope I can give away the surprise twist after 35 years, but stop reading if you don't want to know. This was shot entirely after Peter Sellers' death, I think, but they incorporated some unused footage of him from some of the previous movies.

And it's only now, with the UA Pink Panther movies blanketing the streaming services like crabgrass, that we can stop and appreciate that "Trail of the PP" and "Curse of the PP" weren't "two greedy cash-in movies" after all, but was, in fact, Blake Edwards' Infinity/Endgame-style two-part serialized finale wrap-up to Peter Sellers' Clouseau, with the plot continuing over both movies.  Helps explain the Roger Moore gag even clearer if you watch them back to back...If you can.

19 hours ago, TopBilled said:

We could also discuss least favorite choices. 

Did anyone like Timothy Dalton in BRENDA STARR or BEAUTICIAN AND THE BEAST..?

I'll just cut to the chase and say I never liked Dalton in anything.  

I also liked Connery in THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY.  

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings