Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quality movies that you don't want to see again

Stephen444

What I mean are  movies that are good quality movies, good writing etc. but for some reason are uncomfortable to revisit.

My list would include:

"Looking For Mr. Goodbar" (dark side of the disco era besides disco music itself)

"They Shoot Horses Don't They?" (Hopeless people caught in the depressing world of the 1930s Depression)

"The Deer Hunter"

"Macabe and  Mrs. Miller"

...to name just a few.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Some movies I don't want to see again, because they're simply too long. I might have enjoyed them, but there are other movies I want to move on and spend my time with...

Out of Africa, The English Patient, Chariots of Fire fit that description for me.  I don't need to see them again.

Here's one that might stir some controversy:  Citizen Kane.  I think I've seen it too many times.  If it's on TV, I just keep going.  

1 hour ago, Stephen444 said:

Why? Have you only watched it once?  

I just have no interest in seeing it again. The plot is not very interesting to me but I appreciate the technical aspects.

Generally, movies that are depressing or emotionally wrenching, I tend to avoid a second viewing. I think all the movies in the OP I've only seen once each, except Goodbar, which I watched a second time when TCM showed it. A Clockwork Orange I've only watched twice. It came on late night on TCM in the last year or two, and I hadn't seen it in 20 years, so I got sucked in. It's brilliant, but I can wait another 20 years before seeing it again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Some movies I don't want to see again, because they're simply too long. I might have enjoyed them, but there are other movies I want to move on and spend my time with...

I agree. There are some movies I don't want to see again because they're so long. And the thing is, sometimes if movies are so long, it makes it harder for me to enjoy them. Avatar comes to mind here.

• Thanks 1

HOTEL RWANDA is the list topper in this for me.  GREAT movie, but very uncomfortable for me as well.  Some listed by others include movies I CAN watch over and over.  ;)  And some too, were so boring to me to sit through ONCE, a repeat is out of the question.

Sepiatone

22 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The French Connection - it is decently made but I have no interest in rewatching it.

Sorry, I Love The French Connection, the NY location shots alone are worth seeing this one again and it's such an exciting film but I respect your opinion, to each his own.

A film that I thought was good was 1980 Dressed To Kill, Michael Caine and Angie Dickinson. I saw it in a theater, and I have no interest in seeing it again. Scared the bee-gee-bees out of me and I still remember a certain scene that haunts me. So, you can like a film and still not want to see it again.

• Like 1

I agree about emotionally exhauting films, like SCHINDLER'S LIST, and also films that "aren't my thing", like GIDGET and LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON. Wanted to add another type of movie that fits this category, which are movies that I enjoyed, worth seeing when I saw it, but I don't need to see them again. Maybe they weren't all that great, or were made well but are pretty much like 200 other movies, or because they weren't particularly remarkable or memorable. I watch several movies a day and usually one is a movie I've never seen before, so there are a whole slew like that. I'm looking at my TCM On Demand right now for an example and one I see is WINGS OF EAGLES--well made, good cast, etc, just not particularly remarkable. To me it could just as easily be called War Movie #486, or John Wayne Saves The Day Again.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Sorry, I Love The French Connection, the NY location shots alone are worth seeing this one again and it's such an exciting film but I respect your opinion, to each his own.

A film that I thought was good was 1980 Dressed To Kill, Michael Caine and Angie Dickinson. I saw it in a theater, and I have no interest in seeing it again. Scared the bee-gee-bees out of me and I still remember a certain scene that haunts me. So, you can like a film and still not want to see it again.

I agree about The French Connection.  I'm not an action movie devotee but the action in this movie is dramatic and not for technical reasons.  The action just flows with the other elements in the movie.

As for Dressed To Kill, I personally have no problem viewing this film multiple times. There are certainly disturbing elements in the movie but I still find myself watching it.  The music is so beautiful in contrast to the violence that occurs. It reminds me of the contrast in the music in Robert Altman's M*A*S*H which is beautiful in contrast to the carnage of the Korean war. 

22 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Generally, movies that are depressing or emotionally wrenching, I tend to avoid a second viewing. I think all the movies in the OP I've only seen once each, except Goodbar, which I watched a second time when TCM showed it. A Clockwork Orange I've only watched twice. It came on late night on TCM in the last year or two, and I hadn't seen it in 20 years, so I got sucked in. It's brilliant, but I can wait another 20 years before seeing it again.

I didn't know that TCM had shown Looking For Mr. Goodbar.  That's gratifying to see that they would show such an edgy film. 

Many of the films I do not want to see again have already been mentioned. In fact, I have not seen one listed that I disagree with. I would add Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Gone With the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, The Lion in Winter, and The Ten Commandments.

Oh my, there are so many more (I just saw a promo for Glory). Add that.

22 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I read Looking for Mr. Goodbar before seeing the film. I should have stopped with the book and not seen the film . I was a single twenty something, had my own apartment in NY and knew young woman who hung out at bars. My friends and I were hit on, guys tried to pick us up. The film was a warning what could happen .I saw the film and have no interest in seeing it again,. very disturbing and just too scary.  Clockwork Orange is another I avoid . I saw it when first released. Just too violent and frightening. As good as the film was and as good as Diane Keaton was in Goodbar and Malcolm McDowell was in Clockwork Orange, I'll always pass on both these films.

• Like 1

If I like a movie, I could watch it again some time in the future. I honestly have never seen a movie that I was impressed with and said to myself that I wouldn't watch it again. But I don't mind dwelling in "heavy" subject matter, either.

I would be much less likely to want to see something overly cheerful (like most musicals), although I often don't enjoy those even once, so the thread question doesn't really apply.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

All the movies you listed are generally highly praised. Could you elaborate on why you hate them (or maybe like but still don't want to watch again, as was supposed to be the premise of this thread)?

Speaking for myself, there is just some content or combination thereof that I find disturbing to the point that I can't watch the films that I have mentioned.  That said I can remember in art school, back in the 60s and 70s, that to describe someone's artwork as disturbing was usually thought to be a compliment.

I can watch many films that some people find disturbing.  Some have mentioned A Clockwork Orange as an example.  I can still watch this film, even with the rape/murder scene but I cannot watch Looking For Mr. Goodbar which also includes this content.  Perhaps because it is a more realistic believable portrayal in Goodbar where Clockwork treats the subject in a more stylized way.  

Lobotomy is also another subject that I have trouble with but only when it is carried out, like in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest not in Suddenly Last Summer.

Suicide is usually a taboo subject as in They Shoot Horses Don't They?

I don't consider boredom or length of film to be criteria for this category.  I can think of many examples of films that exhibit these two elements and the examples brought up here 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings