Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films of 1969

We're about a week removed from the release of Once upon a Time in Hollywood, set in 1969 and one of the most anticipated award films of the year. because of that and because it is 50 year ago this year, I'd like to just do a favorite films of the year thread for it. Feel free to discuss any film you wish!

Personal top picks alphabetically:

Alice's Restauraunt

Anne of the Thousand Days

Cactus Flower

Easy Rider

Goodbye Columbus

Goodbye Mr Chips

The Gypsy Moths (airing late tonight)

Hello Dolly

Kes

Mississippi Mermaid

My Night at Maud's

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

The Sterile Cuckoo

Support Your Local Sheriff

• Like 1

Here are my top 25 picks, out of 123 movies seen:

1. The Wild Bunch
  2. Midnight Cowboy
  3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  5. Z
  6. They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
  7. Fellini Satyricon
  8. Take the Money and Run
  9. Easy Rider
  10. Army of Shadows
  11. Salesman
  12. The Magic Christian
  13. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
  14. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
  15. Alice's Restaurant
  16. Play Dirty
  17. The Gypsy Moths
  18. Death of a Gunfighter
  19. Blind Beast
  20. Journey to the Far Side of the Sun
  21. What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?
  22. A Dream of Kings
  23. Burn!
  24. Last Summer
  25. True Grit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would second some of the choices here:

Alice's Restaurant  - The scene with Harvey Keitel is unforgettable.

Easy Rider (seen in the theater with quality sound)

Goodbye Columbus - Richard Benjamin underrated.

Sterile Cuckoo - A young Liza.

Goodbye Mr. Chips

Midnight Cowboy - a memorable movie for so many reasons.

• Thanks 1

In the Essentials thread, I reviewed four films from 1969. It was one of my monthly themes.

I covered PENDULUM, an interesting picture with George Peppard and Jean Seberg. I also reviewed ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, which is my favorite Bond film. I looked at IN SEARCH OF GREGORY, a seldom seen comedy with Julie Christie and John Hurt. And then I did a TV movie called Silent Night Lonely Night which is based on an outstanding play by Robert Anderson. 

• Thanks 1

My 10 best movies of 1969:

#1 In the Year of the Pig (Emile de Antonio, USA)
#2 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (George Roy Hill, USA)
#3 Satyricon (Frederico Fellini, Italy)
#4 High School (Frederick Wiseman, USA)
#5 The Butcher (Calude Chabrol, France)
#6 Midnight Cowboy (John Schlesinger, USA)
#7 Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper, USA)
#8 The Color of Pomegranates (Sergei Paravanov, USSR)
#9 The Conformist (Bernardo Bertolucci, Italy)
#10 The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah, USA)

I could easily be talked into replacing any of the bottom five with Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, USSR)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

My 10 best movies of 1969:

#9 The Conformist (Bernardo Bertolucci, Italy)

I could easily be talked into replacing any of the bottom five with Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, USSR)

The Conformist is a 1970 film. Andrei Rublev is a 1966 film, although that's a frequently debated point.

Looks like I can't argue about The Conformist. I can't find a premiere on imdb in any country earlier than early 1970. Not sure what I was thinking. 

I'm gonna stick by Andrei Rublev, which imdb says had a very limited showing in December, 1966, but didn't make its official premiere in Moscow until February, 1969.

So, I would probably have to throw out The Conformist, move The Wild Bunch up one and put Rublev at No. 10.

• Like 1

Here's a few not mentioned:

Salesman - great Maysles brothers documentary, about Bible salesman. Stark view of  real life Willy Loman types.

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice- funny and sharp satire of middle aged couples trying be hip with the sexual revolution

A Boy Named Charlie Brown-first and best of the "Peanuts" big screen movies as our neurotic loser/hero goes to the big city for a spelling bee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My favorite 1969:

Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice.

A Boy Named Charlie Brown

*Great picks Det. Jim McLeod! 

Cactus Flower

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 

So apparently my list is very short.  I haven't seen many films from 1969 it seems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not yet mentioned, but deserving of it:

Downhill Racer - Michael Ritchie's portrait of a single-minded Olympic skier, well-played by Robert Redford.

Age of Consent - featuring a very young and very full-bodied and naked Helen Mirren, this final Michael Powell movie is based on the biography of artist Norman Lindsay.

Castle Keep - highly entertaining war movie from Sidney Pollack starring Burt Lancaster, Peter Falk, Scott Wilson and Bruce Dern.

Medium Cool - Haskell Wexler's now cult film about the violence surrounding the 1968 Democratic National Convention.

The Reivers - one of Steve McQueen's less-remembered films. Features a fine performance from a youngster named Mitch Vogel

Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here - Robert Redford again, this time as a tough small town lawman dealing with a renegade Indian played by Robert Blake.

Women in Love - Ken Russell's treatment of the D.H. Lawrence novel. Featured full frontal male nudity for just about the first time in a major production.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BrownShoes said:

Not yet mentioned, but deserving of it:

The Reivers - one of Steve McQueen's less-remembered films. Features a fine performance from a youngster named Mitch Vogel

Women in Love - Ken Russell's treatment of the D.H. Lawrence novel. Featured full frontal male nudity for just about the first time in a major production.

Definitely these two.  Especially "Women in Love"  Probably Russells most lucid film on the big screen.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

A Boy Named Charlie Brown

I have not seen many of the Peanuts movies. The rumor mill claims Apple TV+ has rights to all the Peanuts library. New stuff is coming. Snoopy is going to the moon.

"One small step for a dog. One giant leap for dog-kind."

Release dates tangle so easily. Especially now. ON IMDB, you have films that either opened in Europe first or appeared at Film Festivals that hold different dates then the commonly held ones. See for example Fanny and Alexander, The King of Comedy, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Crash, The Hurt Locker, Beginners, all listed a yearbefore their commonly held date on IMDB 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings