Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Short promo film for U.S. Post Office from 1930s?

alcr1

Around 1973 I there was a show on PBS called the International Animation Festival. It was hosted by Jean Marsh, and featured animated films from around the globe.

There was a short film that I believe was a promo film for the U.S. Post Office. IIRC, it had shots of various things that didn't necessarily relate to the Post Office -- I seem to remember that one shot was of molten metal being poured into a mold. There may have been another shot taken aboard a ship at sea -- things like that. I think the shots may have been hand-colored.

On the soundtrack was an instrumental calypso/latin/caribbean-sounding song -- which I recorded from the TV while the show was playing! I'd love to see the picture again. Anyone remember this film?

The hand-colored shots sound much more like a Melies film than anything from the 1930s. That practice was virtually dead at that point. In Tati's Jour de Fete, a newsreel for the US post office is shown but it is nothing like what you describe. I am not sure why anything about the US post office would include clips of things not related at all.

• Confused 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings