Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

California city set to ban gendered words like 'manhole' and 'manpower'

The City Council in Berkeley, Calif., voted this week to ban gender-specific words in the liberal city’s municipal code, clearing the way for the changes to become official.

As a result of the vote on the proposed ordinance, the word “manhole” would be changed to “maintenance hole” in city documents, the news site Berkeleyside reported. “Human effort” would be substituted for the word “manpower,” and “sorority” or “fraternity” would be changed to “collegiate Greek system residence.”

When introduced, the authors of the new ordinance wrote that they were putting the measure forth so as to “promote equality.”

“Amending the municipal code to include gender-neutral pronouns by eliminating any gender preference language within the municipal code will promote equality,” according to text explaining the rationale.

The measure has been placed on the city’s consent calendar, which means it is expected to be approved without further debate. Berkeley would then ban printed references in its municipal code to “policemen” and “craftsmen,” substituting the words “police officer” and “craftspeople” instead.

The new ordinance would eliminate the use of masculine and feminine pronouns in the municipal code. Instead of “he” and “she,” the city will use “they” and “them.”

Under the heading "Gender," the amended code will read as follows:

“Whenever a personal pronoun is used in the neutral gender, it shall be deemed to include the feminine and masculine also. ‘They/them’ shall indicate a singular individual, unless the context indicates the contrary.”

No wonder they keep having earthquakes in California, that's our land shaking its head.

• Haha 1
On 7/20/2019 at 10:55 AM, MovieMadness said:

The City Council in Berkeley, Calif., voted this week to ban gender-specific words in the liberal city’s municipal code, clearing the way for the changes to become official.

As a result of the vote on the proposed ordinance, the word “manhole” would be changed to “maintenance hole” in city documents, the news site Berkeleyside reported. “Human effort” would be substituted for the word “manpower,” and “sorority” or “fraternity” would be changed to “collegiate Greek system residence.”

When introduced, the authors of the new ordinance wrote that they were putting the measure forth so as to “promote equality.”

“Amending the municipal code to include gender-neutral pronouns by eliminating any gender preference language within the municipal code will promote equality,” according to text explaining the rationale.

The measure has been placed on the city’s consent calendar, which means it is expected to be approved without further debate. Berkeley would then ban printed references in its municipal code to “policemen” and “craftsmen,” substituting the words “police officer” and “craftspeople” instead.

The new ordinance would eliminate the use of masculine and feminine pronouns in the municipal code. Instead of “he” and “she,” the city will use “they” and “them.”

Under the heading "Gender," the amended code will read as follows:

“Whenever a personal pronoun is used in the neutral gender, it shall be deemed to include the feminine and masculine also. ‘They/them’ shall indicate a singular individual, unless the context indicates the contrary.”

No wonder they keep having earthquakes in California, that's our land shaking its head.

Sort of like an adult version of shaken baby syndrome.

this'll ruin the Honeymooners episode where Ralph causes ed to be fired from the sewer...

"nothing is going to stop me from going down to the sewer tomorrow and get Norton's job back for him."

"oh no?!...there's not a manhole cover in this city that you could fit through!"

Image result for ralph and alice kramden

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

this'll ruin the Honeymooners episode where Ralph causes ed to be fired from the sewer...

"nothing is going to stop me from going down to the sewer tomorrow and get Norton's job back for him."

"oh no?!...there's not a manhole cover in this city that you could fit through!"

Image result for ralph and alice kramden

Ralph is trying to beat Armstrong in someone going to the moon? :lol:

That's one giant punch for man...One small leap for mankind.

51JlmK8400L.jpg

Edited by hamradio
  • Haha 1

Now some idiots might mistake this effort to be "feminist" fueled, but truly, it seems to me that they'd think the word MANHOLE in reference to a SEWER entrance would be fitting;)  

This kinda crap has been tried for decades.  And JR's right.  NObody's gonna pay that much attention to it.  At least anybody with a brain.

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And JR's right.  NObody's gonna pay that much attention to it.  At least anybody with a brain.

Not to worry. The kids will be properly programmed in school. In 30 years everyone will be saying "personhole".

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, darkblue said:

Not to worry. The kids will be properly programmed in school. In 30 years everyone will be saying "personhole".

They tried that before back in the 1970's...mailperson, milkperson, etc. 

Just now, hamradio said:

They tried that before back in the 1970's...mailperson, milkperson, etc. 

They changed it to mail carrier. That's what it is now.

And there are no milkmen, milkwomen or milkpersons.

15 hours ago, hamradio said:

'Milkman' tradition makes a comeback in Pennsylvania

https://www.wgal.com/article/milkman-tradition-makes-a-comeback-in-pennsylvania-3/6233809#

Maine

I'm a milkman, not a milk or eggperson!

466914_662458-20140704_milkman_6.jpg?fit

They're rare these days.  We here in Lincoln Park  have a small dairy named CALDER'S, which has been here for near as long as the city was incorporated(1921) And they still home deliver.  Their milk is supplied by the joint owned(also) dairy farm the two Calder brothers operate, as well as the store.  And in the back is an ice cream parlor that still gets lines out the door( and down the block) every summer.  And if, like most the houses in town, the old MILK CHUTE is covered over, or refitted with glass block or such, they provide a galvanized metal insulated cooler to place your milk delivery in.  Most who use their service keep it on the front porch.  But their home delivery service is WAY more expensive than what you'd pay for milk at Meijer's or Wal-Mart.  But I'll make the trip across town to their store each Christmas for their FAN-TAS-TIC  egg nogg!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Have several milk bottles, my mom wanted them for memory.  Back in the day there was a paper top, the ones today use metal foil.

7340a.jpg

milk-pic-2.jpg

The British has a problem with the Blue T_t (yep bird is offense) which even metal foil don't keep them out

80050066.jpg

On 7/21/2019 at 10:01 PM, JR33928 said:

C'mon is anybody gonna obey any of that crap...anybody actually gonna change their terminology...HELL NO...except that...well....butthole IS pretty funny.:lol:

BS like this can only get worse the longer it festers...  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

The END of manspreading? University student fed up with 'men infringing on her public space' wins national design award for creating chair that restricts how they sit down

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7253545/Female-college-student-designs-chair-blocks-manspreading.html

The University of Brighton student, who is graduating next month, won a design award for her work which was part of her 3D Design and Craft degree

4YS1xY.gif

"If pizzas were manhole covers, the sewer would be a

paradise."  Ed Norton

743bbd6044b9c716b2e5d8a63db2029b--grace-

Guess it's too late for Grace Slick

to change the name of her first

solo album.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Starship--" It's no good to go back in time."

The progress of Humankind continues.

And it rains again tonight, I can think light years ahead
Or I could put myself back a thousand years ago
As if I'd always been here before or as if I am still to be born
I'm a slow loser, but I'm a fast learner that much I know

Anyone can go that much I know
Anyone can go that much I know
Anyone can go

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

BS like this can only get worse the longer it festers...  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

The END of manspreading? University student fed up with 'men infringing on her public space' wins national design award for creating chair that restricts how they sit down

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7253545/Female-college-student-designs-chair-blocks-manspreading.html

The University of Brighton student, who is graduating next month, won a design award for her work which was part of her 3D Design and Craft degree

Uh, just turn the chair around. :wacko:

Her worn knees tells me she loves manspreading! :lol:

• Haha 1

Letter to the L.A. Times about this;

I see that, in Berkeley,  a manhole will become a maintenance hole, and a craftsman will become an artisan.   I guess that management has manipulated its mandate.

• Haha 2