Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Puerto Rico unrest

Thousands of Puerto Rican protesters have demanded their governor resign amid corruption allegations and a leaked group chat. Now, elected U.S. officials – including 2020 Democratic candidates -- are asking for the same. The Washington Post’s Arelis Hernández calls Alex Witt from San Juan, Puerto Rico to unpack the reasons why protesters are fed up.

https://www.msnbc.com/weekends-with-alex-witt/watch/growing-calls-for-puerto-rico-governor-to-resign-over-scandal-64222789707

Puerto Rico’s week of massive protests, explained

Two scandals have led to more than a week of protests calling for Gov. Ricardo Rosselló’s resignation.

The protests arose in response to the leak of Telegram app messages in which Gov. Ricardo Rosselló and his inner circle make light of the casualties caused by Hurricane Maria and disparage political opponents using vulgar, homophobic, and sexist language.

The text message leak came days after another scandal: The FBI arrested two former top officials in Rosselló’s government as part of a corruption probe over their handling of $15.5 million in contracts........

The incidents have galvanized a public that feels neglected and exploited by political and economic elites, and one that has endured great suffering in the wake of Hurricane Maria in 2017 and a seemingly unresolvable debt crisis.

Calls for Rosselló’s resignation were growing following the corruption scandal; they exploded after the group chat scandal. Two cabinet officials have resigned in the wake of the scandals, but so far Rosselló has said that he plans to stay in office.

Pressure on the governor is rising, however......

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/20/20701898/puerto-rico-protests-ricardo-rossello-resign-ricky-renuncia-text-scandal

2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Thousands of Puerto Rican protesters have demanded their governor resign amid corruption allegations and a leaked group chat. Now, elected U.S. officials – including 2020 Democratic candidates -- are asking for the same. The Washington Post’s Arelis Hernández calls Alex Witt from San Juan, Puerto Rico to unpack the reasons why protesters are fed up.

https://www.msnbc.com/weekends-with-alex-witt/watch/growing-calls-for-puerto-rico-governor-to-resign-over-scandal-64222789707

What,    no Dems blaming this on Trump??????

Uh,  recall that I said days after MARIA,  that PR's state government has been full of corruption for decades and that the reason the state's electric grid was in such poor shape was corruption;   I.e. Fed funds were misused and \ or stolen.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What,    no Dems blaming this on Trump??????

Uh,  recall that I said days after MARIA,  that PR's state government has been full of corruption for decades and that the reason the state's electric grid was in such poor shape was corruption;   I.e. Fed funds were misused and \ or stolen.

Dated 2016

MISMANAGEMENT IN MUNICIPALITIES IS HURTING PUERTO RICANS

https://pasquines.us/2016/08/22/mismanagement-in-municipalities-is-hurting-puerto-ricans/

2 links dated 2017

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/353506-puerto-rico-was-a-disaster-long-before-maria-ravaged-the-island

https://nypost.com/2017/09/30/inept-puerto-rican-government-riddled-with-corruption-ceo/

But many here think just throwing money into a bottomless money pit will fix the problem.

Trump: ‘I’m The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Puerto Rico’

The president cited his “many Puerto Rican friends” and the success of two Miss Universe pageants hosted on the island as evidence of his claim.

Trump falsely stated that Congress “gave Puerto Rico $92 billion last year” as evidence of their incompetence.

This is not the first time he has cited such a large and inaccurate number. In May, The Washington Post reported that the island had been allocated less than half of that, and that the president’s number seemed to be a projection for spending over the next 20 years...

“They don’t like to give me the credit for it, but we did a great job [in Puerto Rico],” he said. “I have many Puerto Rican friends. I have a real understanding of Puerto Rico. I’ve had jobs in Puerto Rico.”

Trump did not delve into specifics of the “great job” he believed his administration had accomplished, but did refer to what he saw as a “tremendous” success that occurred before his presidency began.

“I own the Miss Universe contest and we had them in Puerto Rico, twice. And I’ll tell you, we had tremendous successes,” the president said. “In fact, they said literally 100% — this never happens — almost, I think it was close to 100, but 100% of the island itself was watching. They like those pageants.”....

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2019 at 6:39 PM, mr6666 said:

PBS NewsHourVerified account @NewsHour 7m7 minutes ago

Puerto Rico’s embattled Gov. Ricardo Rosselló says he will not seek re-election but will not resign as the island’s leader,

though he will step down as head of his pro-statehood party.

Pushing this to the top,  since this is the PR story of interested.

• Like 1

NPRVerified account @NPR 41m41 minutes ago

Thousands of people flooded the streets of San Juan on Monday, calling for Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló to resign.

The mass demonstrations are expected to be one of the largest protests ever seen in a U.S. territory.

Thousands In Puerto Rico Seek To Oust Rosselló In Massive 'Ricky Renuncia' March

".....The leaked messages also showed discussions about trying to manipulate public opinion and discredit the work of a federal police monitor and journalists that were critical of the administration. In one text, the governor's chief financial officer tried to make light of dead bodies that piled up during Hurricane Maria in 2017, which led to nearly 3,000 deaths.

The territory's largest newspaper, El Nuevo Día, also called on Monday for Rosselló to resign.

The unrest comes as the struggle continues to recover from billions of dollars in damage Hurricane Maria caused to Puerto Rico, which has been stuck in a recession from more than a decade.

The backdrop for the mass demonstration also comes as officials continue to assess the fallout from a federal corruption indictment filed against two former top Puerto Rico officials for steering millions of dollars of government work to favored businesses........

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/22/744093831/thousands-in-puerto-rico-seek-to-oust-rossell-in-massive-ricky-renuncia-march?utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=twitter.com

:huh:

The HillVerified account @thehill 49m49 minutes ago

Shepard Smith to Puerto Rico governor:

Voters 'no longer trust you and your leadership'

WATCH: Shephard Smith grills Puerto Rico governor:

......"The corruption is rampant in Puerto Rico," Smith said during an interview that lasted more than 20 minutes.

"Economically, there's a fiscal crisis," Smith added. "Attacks on women, gays, dead relatives on your own island, and after that, who is left to support you?"

"I've apologized. I am making amends for all those efforts," Rosselló replied.....

"They no longer trust you and your leadership," Smith responded.

Rosselló acknowledged that mistakes had been made but reiterated his intention to remain in office.

"Mistakes are things you do that you didn't mean to do or that you did by accident or in error, and then you go back and you correct them," Smith responded.

"Nine hundred pages of attacks on people of your own island are arguably not mistakes," the anchor continued.

Rosselló is under increasing pressure to step down amid a corruption scandal ......

"Who is left to support you?"

http://hill.cm/D7ipveb 

EAHPMFkWsAYNLhi.jpg
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn’t it be something if we can get a similar proportion of the U.S. mainland population to rise up against the many Donald Trump statements that are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic, islamophobic, etc. Etc, etc.  This man is a scourge and emplbarrassment to the office of the Preaidency.

Add to that his incompetence, criminality and stupidity while in office.

35 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Wouldn’t it be something if we can get a similar proportion of the U.S. mainland population to rise up against the many Donald Trump statements that are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic, islamophobic, etc. Etc, etc.  This man is a scourge and emplbarrassment to the office of the Preaidency.

Add to that his incompetence, criminality and stupidity while in office.

Uh,  that 'something' would likely be riots and violence between Trump supporters and the protesters.

(which would also likely help Trump win re-election).

33 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Uh,  that 'something' would likely be riots and violence between Trump supporters and the protesters.

Good. Let them all destroy each other then.

30 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Good. Let them all destroy each other then.

Well that is one way to look at it.     My preference is that the two fight it out on the Food Network show Chopped;

Trump Supporters versus Trump-haters!    Of course finding impartial judges would be difficult,  but I have always felt that Chopped should have blind-tastings.    

Embattled Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló resigns amid public outcry

"Ricky, te botamos!" ("Ricky, we threw you out!") the jubilant crowd exclaimed after the governor's announcement.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló announced his resignation Wednesday days after demonstrators at the island's largest protest in recent history called for his ouster over a scandal involving leaked private chats as well as corruption investigations and arrests.

Puerto Rican Governor Ricardo Rossello announces his resignation effective August 2 via television on July 24, 2019.Puerto Rican Governor Ricardo Rossello announces his resignation effective August 2 via television on July 24, 2019.La Fortaleza de PR

His resignation, effective Aug. 2, came late Wednesday night on a recorded video published on Facebook. In the message, he touted what he considered accomplishments of his tenure, saying he fought corruption and made strides for different communities.

"My only North Star has been the well-being of my island," he said.

Crowds in the streets, which for nearly two weeks had been calling for the governor to step down, immediately erupted in joyous chants, cheering "Puerto Rico! Puerto Rico!".......

The news came after three attorneys commissioned by the president of Puerto Rico’s House of Representatives, Carlos Méndez Núñez, unanimously found five offenses that constituted grounds for impeachment.

In the report that was leaked to the press, the attorneys found Rosselló committed four serious offenses and one misdemeanor, including illicitly using public resources and services for partisan purposes, as well as allowing government officials and contractors to misuse public funds and time for non-government work.

Méndez had announced he had convened a meeting for Thursday afternoon to begin the impeachment process.........

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/embattled-puerto-rico-gov-ricardo-rossell-resigns-amid-public-outcry-n1033241

:)

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Embattled Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló resigns amid public outcry

"Ricky, te botamos!" ("Ricky, we threw you out!") the jubilant crowd exclaimed after the governor's announcement.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló announced his resignation Wednesday days after demonstrators at the island's largest protest in recent history called for his ouster over a scandal involving leaked private chats as well as corruption investigations and arrests.

Puerto Rican Governor Ricardo Rossello announces his resignation effective August 2 via television on July 24, 2019.Puerto Rican Governor Ricardo Rossello announces his resignation effective August 2 via television on July 24, 2019.La Fortaleza de PR

His resignation, effective Aug. 2, came late Wednesday night on a recorded video published on Facebook. In the message, he touted what he considered accomplishments of his tenure, saying he fought corruption and made strides for different communities.

Crowds in the streets, which for nearly two weeks had been calling for the governor to step down, immediately erupted in joyous chants, cheering "Puerto Rico! Puerto Rico!".......

The news came after three attorneys commissioned by the president of Puerto Rico’s House of Representatives, Carlos Méndez Núñez, unanimously found five offenses that constituted grounds for impeachment.

In the report that was leaked to the press, the attorneys found Rosselló committed four serious offenses and one misdemeanor, including illicitly using public resources and services for partisan purposes, as well as allowing government officials and contractors to misuse public funds and time for non-government work.

Méndez had announced he had convened a meeting for Thursday afternoon to begin the impeachment process.........

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/embattled-puerto-rico-gov-ricardo-rossell-resigns-amid-public-outcry-n1033241

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

One corrupt, mysogynistic, homophobic Republican scumbag down, one more to go!

·
6h

¡Que Viva Puerto Rico!

🇵🇷

This is a triumph for the people of Puerto Rico.

Through unprecedented direct action,

they successfully changed their leadership and demanded accountability.

PR made history, and began carving a path for the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Triumph for people who were dumb enough to elect this guy in the first place?

As for carving a path for the future;  I just don't see that happening.   This guy was just another in a long and continuing line of corrupt PR politicians over the past 30 years.   

Will this event help voters in PR seen-the-light-of-day?

On 7/25/2019 at 5:57 AM, Arturo said:

This bears repeating except our corrupt, misogynistic, homophobic Republican scumbag is so much worse: xenophobic, sexist, islamophobic.......Trump needs to go NOW!!!!!  The Dems need to get on it!

Official who was set to replace Puerto Rican governor refuses the job

"I reiterate, I have no interest in occupying the position of Governor," Justice Secretary Wanda Vázquez said Sunday.

July 28, 2019, 2:21 PM CDT
By Doha Madani

The woman who was next in line to become Puerto Rico's governor after the current governor resigned amid massive protests said Sunday that she does not want the position.

Justice Secretary Wanda Vázquez said she does not want to assume the role of governor and has asked departing Gov. Ricardo Rosselló to appoint someone else to replace him instead.

By law, the island's secretary of state would succeed Rosselló, but no one has been confirmed for that position since Luis G. Rivera Marín — who was involved in the same scandal that brought down Rosselló — submitted his resignation July 13.

"I reiterate, I have no interest in occupying the position of Governor," Vázquez said in a tweet Sunday. "It is a Constitutional opinion. I hope that the Governor identifies and submits a candidate for the position of Secretary of State before August 2 and I have told him so."

Puerto Ricans generally see Vázquez as an unfavorable replacement because she is seen as loyal to Rosselló. The hashtag #WandaRenuncia (or "Wanda, resign") started trending on Twitter immediately after Rosselló's announced that he would be resigning........

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/woman-set-replace-puerto-rican-governor-refuses-job-n1035501

• Haha 1

NOW: Puerto Rico's House of Representatives confirmed the nomination of Pedro Pierluisi as the island's new secretary of state,

though it was unclear whether he'll be in position to succeed outgoing Gov. Ricardo Rosselló,
who officially resigns at 5 p.m.

:unsure:

6 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

NOW: Puerto Rico's House of Representatives confirmed the nomination of Pedro Pierluisi as the island's new secretary of state,

though it was unclear whether he'll be in position to succeed outgoing Gov. Ricardo Rosselló,
who officially resigns at 5 p.m.

:unsure:

This may look like chaos. But you got to give the Puerto Ricans credit.

They're getting rid of someone who has no respect for them and who is corrupt.

• Like 1