Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies I've Seen Recently on YouTube

sewhite2000

Been suffering from insomnia for weeks now, unusual for it to be so prolonged for me. I've started getting very restless lying still in bed if sleep doesn't come immediately. So, I've taken to watching films on YouTube on my laptop until I pass out. Once I've fallen asleep in my chair, I know I can go to bed. I'll just pick up with whatever movie I was on the following night.

So many movies that air rarely or never on TCM. Ironically, YouTube is a terrible place to view regular TCM fare. AT&T/Time-Warner appears to police copyright violation more religiously than any other holder of studio-era material. If you see anything from MGM, WB or RKO on YouTube, the odds are extremely high it's in the PD (or it's something otherwise no longer under their control). And if it isn't you better watch it right then, because it will be taken down by the next day or soon after. Fox, Paramount, Universal and Columbia seem pretty unconcerned about their material being available on YouTube, at least if they're not super-famous movies, as far as I can tell.

So, here's a sample of what I've seen in the last seven weeks or so. I thought after each movie I would say how many times it's aired on TCM. A lot of movies with big stars I'd never even heard of!

Bedtime Story Dir. Ralph Levy (Universal, 1964) - A cultured, high-class con artist (David Niven) and a rough, small-time hustler (Marlon Brando) make a wager to see which one can swindle an heiress (Shirley Jones) first. Remade in the '80s as Dirty Rotten Soundrels.
TCM airings: 0

With Six, You Get Egg Roll Dir. Howard Morris (National General, 1968) - Two widowed acquaintances (Doris Day and Brian Keith) fall in love and get married, unprepared for the hostile reactions from their children (played by Barbara Hershey, among others). Day's last theatrical film.
TCM airings: 19

Indiscreet Dir. Stanley Donen (Warner Bros., 1958) - An actress who's given up on love (Ingrid Bergman) falls for a suave banker in diplomatic service (Cary Grant) who's not truthful about his marital status ... though not in the way you might expect. 
TCM airings: 13

Happy Go Lovely Dir. H. Bruce Humberstone (RKO, 1951) - Screwball mistaken-identity and mistaken-assumption musical comedy. Vera-Ellen gets hired as the leading lady of a Scottish stage show because the producer (Cesar Romero) thinks she's dating a wealthy bachelor owner of a greeting card company (David Niven). But romance blooms only when she mistakenly believes Niven to be a working-class newspaper reporter.
TCM airings: 14

The Revolt of Mamie Stover Dir. Raoul Walsh (20th Century Fox, 1956) - A "dance-hall girl" who provides female companionship (Jane Russell) exiled in disgrace from San Francisco relocates to Hawaii just before the bombing of Pearl Harbor, where she enters into a romance with a science fiction writer (Richard Egan) and begins to rise in local society as a real estate mogul, though the populace won't let her forget her sinful past.
TCM airings: 1 (in December, 2016)

That Certain Feeling Dir. Melvin Frank and Norman Panama (Paramount, 1956) - A divorced cartoonist (Bob Hope) is hired to ghost a world-famous newspaper comic strip by its pompous creator (George Sanders), who also happens to be engaged to his ex-wife (Eva Marie Saint).

Compulsion Dir. Richard Fleischer (20th Century Fox, 1959) Two wealthy law-school students (Dean Stockwell and Bradford Dillman) go on trial for murder in a fictionalized account of the Leopold-Loeb case and are a represented by a public crusader intent on making a specific legal point (Orson Welles).
TCM airings: 4

No Down Payment Dir. Martin Ritt (20th Century Fox, 1957) - The marital difficulties of four couples living in a Southern California housing development become intertwined. The cast includes Joanne Woodward, Tony Randall, Jeffrey Hunter and Pat Hingle.
TCM airings: 1 (in June, 2018)

Rebecca Dir. Alfred Hitchcock (United Artists, 1940) - A self-conscious woman (Joan Fontaine) struggles to adust to life as the wife of a wealthy aristocrat (Laurence Olivier) and is haunted by the presence of his first wife - the facts of whose death haven't completely been revealed - lingering over his estate.
TCM airings: 36

The Red House Dir. Delmer Daves (United Artists, 1947) - An old man (Edward G. Robinson) and his sister (Judith Anderson) are hiding a terrible secret from their adopted daughter (Allene Roberts) about an abandoned farmhouse hidden deep in the woods.
TCM airings: 1 (in August, 2016)

People Will Talk Dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz (20th Century Fox, 1951) - A doctor and university lecturer (Cary Grant) falls in love with a nursing student (Jeanne Crain) who's discovered she's pregnant by her ex-boyfriend, killed in the Korean War.
TCM airings: 5

Life with Father Dir. Michael Curtiz (Warner Bros., 1947) - An 1890s Manhattan financier (William Powell) imagines himself the benevolent despot over his wife (Irene Dunne) and their four sons, but he may not be as much in charge as he thinks.
TCM airings: 43

The Man in the Gray Flanel Suit Dir. Nunnally Johnson (20th Century Fox, 1956) - An ex-WWII platoon commander with a secret from the war years (Gregory Peck) struggles to forge a career path that will provide handsomely for his wife (Jennifer Jones) and three children.
TCM airings: 7

Deadline - USA Dir. Richard Brooks (20th Century Fox, 1952) - With his newspaper about to be sold, a crusading editor (Humphrey Bogart) struggles to complete an expose on a gangster (Martin Gabel).

Arrividerci, Baby! Dir. Ken Hughes (Paramount, 1966) - A man (Tony Curtis) plots to kill his wealthy wife (Rosanna Schiaffino), but she discovers his plans and plots to kill him first.

Phone Call from a Stranger Dir. Jean Negulesco (20th Century Fox, 1952) - A man (Gary Merrill) needing a sabbatical from his unfaithful wife (Helen Westcott) bonds with three fellow plane passengers (Shelly Winters, Keenan Wynn, Michael Rennie). He's one of a handful of survivors when the plane crashes and vows to visit their loved ones personally, one at a time (including Bette Davis, Merrill's real-life wife, appearing in an oversized cameo as Wynn's widow).
TCM airings: 1 (in July, 2018)

The Strange Woman Dir. Edgar G. Ulmer (United Artists, 1946) - In 1820s New England a beautiful but poor woman (Hedy Lamarr) marries a rich old man (Gene Lockhart) but also seduces his son (Louis Hayward) and company foreman (George Sanders).
TCM airings: 10

Wicked as They Come Dir. Ken Hughes (Columbia, 1956) - ALSO about a poor but beautiful woman (Arlene Dahl) who lets nothing stand in the way of her rise to the top ... including murder?
TCM airings: 4

Enter Laughing Dir. Carl Reiner (Columbia, 1967) - In late '30s New York City, a young would-be actor (Reni Santoni) hopes to get his first break.
TCM airings: 3

A Stranger in Town Dir. Roy Rowland (MGM, 1943) - Without revealing his identity, a Supreme Court justice on a hunting trip (Frank Morgan) helps a crusading attorney and mayoral candidate (Richard Carlson) who's trying to break up the corrupt political ring that runs his small town.
TCM airings: 12

Summer Affair Dir. William Dieterle (Paramount, 1950) - Missing their flight back to America after a flirtatious interlude, a married industrialist (Joseph Cotten) and a single concert pianist (Joan Fontaine) decide to purchase an Italian villa and let their families think they're dead when the plane crashes.

The Lemon Drop Kid Dir. Sidney Lanfield (Paramount, 1951) - A swindler (Bob Hope) accidentally causes a gangster (Fred Clark) to lose $10,000 at a Florida race track and is allowed to travel to NYC to try to scam up enough money to pay him back by the end of the Christmas holidays ... or else. The song "Silver Bells" was written for this movie.
TCM airings: 7

The Whisperers Dir. Bryan Forbes (United Artists, 1967) - After an elderly English woman not entirely in her right mind (Edith Evans) is swindled out a small, ill-gotten fortune she finds, welfare workers try to reunite her with the husband (Ronald Fraser) who abandoned her 20 years earlier.
TCM airings: 6

Till the Clouds Roll By Dir. Richard Whorf (MGM, 1946) - Biopic of Broadway pioneer Jerome Kern (Robert Walker), who initially seeks his fortune in England, where he meets his future wife (Dorothy Patrick). Featuring musical performances by a who's who of MGM stars.
TCM airings: 40

The Sun Shines Bright Dir. John Ford (Republic, 1953) - Adaptation of three Irvin S. Cobb stories about Judge Priest (Charles Winninger) set in turn-of-the-century Kentucky, officially a neutral state in the Civil War, but where ardent supporters of both North and South still bicker like the war never ended. While running for reelection, the judge defends the right to a fair trial of a young black man (Elzie Emanuel) accused of assaulting a white woman (Eve March) against a lynch mob and considers how to handle a long-buried local secret concerning the parentage of a local schoolteacher (Arleen Wheelan), seemingly of high breeding, that's about to be exposed when her mother, a "fallen woman" (Dorothy Jordan) suddenly returns to town. A partial remake of Ford's Judge Priest from 20 years earlier.

Moonrise Dir. Frank Borzage (Republic, 1948) - A young man (Dane Clark) ostracized by most of the residents of his small town since his father hung for murder when he was a boy, finds his chances for love with a local schoolteacher (Gail Russell) seriously jeopardized after committing homicide himself.
TCM airings: 1 (in February, 2010)

The Heart is a Rebel Dir. Dick Ross (World Wide Pictures, 1958) - An agnostic Manhattan advertising exec (John Milford) hardens his heart and feels outnumbered when his wife (Georgia Lee) and sickly son (Scotty Morrow) are both inspired by the example of their housekeeper (Ethel Waters) to accept Jesus. A Christian propaganda picture that incorporates actual footage of the crusades Billy Graham was delivering at Madison Square Garden at the time.
TCM arings: 0

Goodbye, Charlie Dir. Vincente Minelli (20th Century Fox, 1964) - A man (Tony Curtis), staying at the home of his late friend Charlie, a serial womanizer murdered by a cuckolded husband (Walter Matthau), trying to put his affairs in order, finds to his shock that Charlie has been reincarnated as a pretty blonde woman (Debbie Reynolds) and reluctantly helps out in her scheme to marry into money.

Madison Avenue Dir. H. Bruce Humberstone (20th Century Fox, 1961) - A fallen Manhattan adman (Dana Andrews) with few scruples conspires with the financially desperate female head of a small agency (Eleanor Parker) to get a presidential appointment for the eccentric head of a dairy that's a subsidiary of a much larger corporation (Eddie Albert) - a position for which he's clearly unqualified - for the financial benefit of everyone involved.

And Then There Were None Dir. Rene Clair (20th Century Fox, 1945) - Ten people end up in a mansion on a remote island under false pretenses and begin dying one by one. Is the murderer one of them? The cast includes Barry Fitzgerald, Walter Huston, Louis Hayward, Roland Young, C. Aubrey Smith and Judith Anderson.
TCM airings: 10

The Shrike Dir. Jose Ferrer (Universal, 1955) - A once-successful theater director (Ferrer) attempts suicide after being manipulated into professional failure by his vengeful wife (June Allyson) after he begins an affair with one of his actresses (Joy Page). Institutionalized, he finds he's utterly dependent on her consent if he's ever going to be released.  

The Second Time Around Dir. Vincent Sherman (20th Century Fox, 1961) - In 1911, an NYC widow (Debbie Reynolds) moves to territorial Arizona on the verge of statehood, where she plans to first become financially stable then send for her two young children, working first as a ranchhand, then getting elected sheriff. 
TCM airings: 1 (in August, 2014)

Good Morning, Miss Dove Dir. Henry Koster (20th Century Fox, 1955) - When a small-town schoolteacher (Jennifer Jones), known as strict disciplinarian who expects excellence from her students faces a life-threatening illness requiring emergency surgery, many of her former students and fellow townspeople reflect via multiple flashbacks how she affected them personally over the years.
TCM airings: 2

If a Man Answers Dir. Henry Levin (Universal, 1962) - A rich socialite (Sandra Dee) marries a photographer (Bobby Darin), and things are initially blissful, but when she becomes jealous of one of his models (Stephanie Powers), she turns to her French mother (Micheline Presle) for advice, which may do more harm than good.

The Snows of Kiliminjaro Dir. Henry King (20th Century Fox, 1952) - While lying deathly ill from an infection while on safari in Africa, a writer (Gregory Peck) reflects on the three women he's loved (Susan Hayward, Ava Gardner, Hildegarde Neff).
TCM airings: 8

The Sun Also Rises Dir. Henry King (20th Century Fox, 1957) - A group of disaffected American expatriate writers aimlessly seek hedonistic thrills in 1920s France and Spain. Tyrone Power, Ava Gardner, Errol Flynn, Eddie Albert, Mel Ferrer.
TCM airings: 1 (in August, 2012)

Remedy for Riches Dir. Erle Kenton (RKO, 1940) - Part of the Dr. Christian series, in which the small-town doctor (Jean Hersholt) once again comes to the rescue of its quirky citizens. This time, the populace is being duped into investing their life savings after oil is apparently discovered in their town, but the doctor suspects a hoax.

Katie Did It Dir. Frederick De Cordova (Universal, 1951) - The strictly brought up librarian in a prudish New England town (Ann Blyth) finds herself falling for a big-city commercial artist (Mark Stevens), but movie-plot contrivances first lead her to believe he's had multiple children out of wedlock and later that he's hiding a wife and child from her.

Guest in the House Dir. John Brahm (United Artists, 1944) - A manipulative woman (Anne Baxter) moves in with the family of her fiancee (Scott McKay) and proceeds to turn everyone against each other.

The Dark Mirror Dir. Robert Siodmak (Universal, 1946) - Multiple witnesses believe they can positively identify a woman leaving the apartment of a murdered man, but the suspect turns out to have an identical twin (Olivia DeHavilland in both roles), and figuring out which one is the killer may be impossible

The Killers - Dir. Don Siegel (Universal, 1964) - Surprised that their target (John Cassavettes) makes no attempt to run away from them, two contract killers (Lee Marvin and Clu Gulager) try to discover the identity and motive of the anonymous person who hired them. A remake of the 1946 film. Ronald Reagan's last film.

Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! Dir. George Marshall (United Artists, 1966) - A seductive starlet (Elke Sommer) flees Hollywood and causes chaos in the life of a suburban real estate agent (Bob Hope).
TCM airings: 6

Rock a Bye Baby Dir: Frank Tashlin (Paramount, 1958) - A small-town TV repairman is entrusted with the care of triplets born out of wedlock to his childhood sweetheart turned movie star (Marilyn Maxwell) so her career won't suffer.
TCM airings: 2

Dear Murderer Dir. Arthur Crabtree (General Film Distributors, 1947) - A successful British businessman (Eric Portman) plots to kill the lover (Dennis Price) of his wife (Greta Gynt) and make it look like suicide, but things become more complicated when he discovers she has a second lover (Jimmy Martin).
TCM airings: 1 (in October, 2008)

A Double Life Dir. George Cukor (Universal, 1947) - A stage actor who fully immerses himself into his roles (Ronald Colman) is a poor choice to play Othello, especially when his ex-wife (Signe Hasso) is cast as Desdemonia.
TCM airings: 17

Portrait of Jennie Dir. William Dieterle (Selznick, 1948) - A mysterious girl who may not be entirely of this earth (Jennifer Jones) periodically visits a struggling artist (Joseph Cotten) and inspires him to success but also haunts him as he tries to understand her true nature.
TCM airings: 36

The Stranger Dir. Orson Welles (RKO, 1946) - An investigator from the War Crimes Commission (Edward G. Robinson) travels to small-town Connecticut to find an infamous Nazi (Welles).
TCM airings: 56

Years ago, there was one that took up many dozens of pages, but it mysteriously vanished one day after routinely being on Page One for several years. I think the mods removed it because people were providing links to these films, most of which are probably on YouTube illegally (even though as I noted, most of the major studios don't seem to care). SO, I'm not posting any links. I'm just mentioning which movies I saw.

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Years ago, there was one that took up many dozens of pages, but it mysteriously vanished one day after routinely being on Page One for several years. I think the mods removed it because people were providing links to these films, most of which are probably on YouTube illegally (even though as I noted, most of the major studios don't seem to care). SO, I'm not posting any links. I'm just mentioning which movies I saw.

Yes, that was Fred C. Dobbs thread if I remember right.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings