Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Cable $ disputes vs. consumers...

CBS blackout is the latest frustration for TV viewers caught in the middle of price wars

Until the disputes are resolved, customers continue to pay for TV channels they cannot watch.

"More than 6.5 million CBS viewers found their screens dark on Saturday, after a dispute with AT&T led to the network's feed getting blacked out in markets from Los Angeles to New York. It's the latest battle in an ongoing war between companies that carry the channels and the media giants that create the content.

On Saturday morning, CBS went dark on the AT&T-owned satellite service DirecTV in a dozen or so markets owned by the newly formed media giant.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/cbs-blackout-latest-frustration-tv-viewers-caught-middle-price-wars-n1032436?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Haven't been receiving my local channel 13 WOWK for the past couple of weeks.  Message says in short.... Nexstar, the owner of this station has removed it from your lineup despite our request to keep it avaialble to you.

I still get CBSe New York on channel 390.

NEVER have been able to get PBS on Directv.

My old SD Directv system never allowed me of having duplicate network channels, had to make a choice between local and New York / Los Angeles feeds within the upper 300's range.

Lost without CBS? There are ways to watch despite AT&T-CBS standoff on DirecTV, U-verse

"If you are bitter about missing your local news or the next episodes of "Big Brother" or "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert," there are alternative ways you can watch CBS if you are an AT&T customer caught up in the channel carriage battle.......

(found this on our tv, so we can still see Colbert) :)....

Locast. Local TV broadcasts in New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Washington, Houston, Boston, Denver and Baltimore can be viewed on this free app, which is available on DirecTV and U-verse set-top boxes. You can also get the app on Apple and Android TV, Amazon Fire devices and Roku. .........

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2019/07/22/at-t-vs-cbs-ways-watch-since-directv-u-verse-dropped-network/1796491001/

Directv has been a bit of a mess since AT&T took it over.  They lied about FREE installation of the HD system because of the shutdown of SD.  The technician had to relocate the dish about 4 feet from one corner of my house to the other because the new oval shape dish couldn't swivel far enough - keep hitting the siding.  

Tried to charge me $49.00 but I complained like hell. AT&T PLAINLY STATED there will be no charge at all for the upgrade. Finally gave me credit for it. Am paying a little more for Genie system, surprised that the small box REQUIRES the main DVR to operate.

The technical was a moron, half way installed the system, sloppy. Had to redo the cabling myself and installed a couple of extra bolts for the dish mount.  Bought a weatherproof splitter housing to protect the SWIM coupler from the elements.

What I've read on the internet AT&T / Directv has been fined by the government in the past for false / misleading advertising.  GOOD!  Told them don't bother me ever again about any promotions,  upgrades etc. :angry:

Dunno why ppl keep bothering with cable/sat and paying thru the nose for crap channels ya don't watch or even care about. Then there's the problems described in this thread aaarrrgh...makes ya mad enough to wanna throw the cable/sat bums out of yer house which i did in 2012...so i bought a Roku in 2012 just before i dropped Dish....Now There's almost nothing i can't watch on tv either thru the Roku,online or OTA.Also have no need to pay for streaming services because i have a YUUGE library of recorded material on disc ext HDD and flash.

The point is that there's no reason to keep paying exorbitant fees to the cable/sat cabal for crappy service.You can make your own home-made tv service tailored to YOUR preferences not the preferences of the cable/sat cabal,and best of all...IT'S FREE!!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mr6666 said:

CBS blackout is the latest frustration for TV viewers caught in the middle of price wars

Until the disputes are resolved, customers continue to pay for TV channels they cannot watch.

"More than 6.5 million CBS viewers found their screens dark on Saturday, after a dispute with AT&T led to the network's feed getting blacked out in markets from Los Angeles to New York. It's the latest battle in an ongoing war between companies that carry the channels and the media giants that create the content.

On Saturday morning, CBS went dark on the AT&T-owned satellite service DirecTV in a dozen or so markets owned by the newly formed media giant.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/cbs-blackout-latest-frustration-tv-viewers-caught-middle-price-wars-n1032436?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Thread is incorrectly titled.  This is a money dispute between the owners of the franchises and ATT/Direct TV, not "cable" companies.  I have cable and still receive all of them.

The issue is that the network franchise owners want to charge ATT/Direct TV a lot more to show their stations.  One even wants ATT/Direct TV to pay for the number of people who watch it over the air.

Most everyone can purchase an indoor or outdoor TV antenna, hook them up and watch the "local" stations for free.  Of course, some may not be able to be seen.  I cannot get CBS or ABC  affiliates on mine, but I can get NBC and Fox.  But then I have the low cost, no amplification indoor antennas.

34 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Most everyone can purchase an indoor or outdoor TV antenna, hook them up and watch the "local" stations for free. 

The caveat is that you have to have a direct (think line of site) un-blocked access to the antenna doing the broadcasting or whatever they call it nowadays, as I understand it. If there are foot-hills or mountains in the way forgedaboudit.  

Basically only flatlanders need apply. :D

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

The caveat is that you have to have a direct (think line of site) un-blocked access to the antenna doing the broadcasting or whatever they call it nowadays, as I understand it. If there are foot-hills or mountains in the way forgedaboudit.  

I live in a flat zone, but we still don't get much over-the-air reception here. CBS on a good day, PBS sometimes, that's it. The one person around here that I knew that got more channels via antenna had a 30 foot metal tower in his back yard for receiving.

9 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I live in an area which has rolling hills and foothills to the mountains.  Which is why I cannot get the channels on the other side of the foothills/mountains.  Of course there is also the issue of where the stations towers are located and how much power they have.  Ones with best reception are on highest hill (mini-mountain), but don't know where the others are.

Have not tried the "powered" indoor antennas, so don't know if they actually increase reception.  Of course an outdoor antenna, even on a 6-8 foot pole, would be a big boost.  I had one like that before I got cable and received all the stations at the time.

One reason I have the indoor antennas is in case of cable failure so I can watch for weather/storm alerts on local stations.  Alto there are several channels that are not on cable, but seldom anything worth watching.

Not sure, but I think the problem is between the corporations that own "local" stations and ATT/Dish.  So another corporation that owns same network affiliates somewhere else may be willing to accept ATT/Dish pay to broadcast their channels.

This does permit viewers to see just about everything on the networks except the local news programs.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Not sure, but I think the problem is between the corporations that own "local" stations and ATT/Dish.  So another corporation that owns same network affiliates somewhere else may be willing to accept ATT/Dish pay to broadcast their channels.

This does permit viewers to see just about everything on the networks except the local news programs.

Yes, correct. The cable Agreements are done with local network affiliates.

NBC is off right now in Northeast Kansas with the ATT /Dish and has been for about 2 weeks.

This is very bad for the local affiliate because they're missing out on local spot time.

I like these 2 new network affiliates! :)

Now I have 3 New York, 3 Los Angeles and 1 Washington DC, 1 San Diego.

Still have my local networks. WOWK (CBS) is on Suddenlink.  

Wonder if it's possible to get 1 Canadian?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_6fwbOK-E9XrBqsh2MRx

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDgKVZCzPI9UVtRgEb4xf

• Haha 1

Broadcasters sue nonprofit that streams free network television

The major broadcasting companies including NBCUniversal, Fox Corp., CBS Corp. and ABC have filed a lawsuit against a nonprofit backed by AT&T that runs a service that allows users in some cities to stream television networks for free.

Locast, operated by the Sports Fans Coalition, allows users in 13 cities including Washington, D.C., New York and Chicago to watch some television networks for free. Reuters reported Wednesday that the networks have filed suit arguing that the nonprofit is a front for AT&T to avoid distribution fees by streaming their content without consent.

"Locast is not the Robin Hood of television; instead, Locast’s founding, funding, and operations reveal its decidedly commercial purposes,” read the broadcasters' court filings obtained by the news service.

An attorney for Sports Fans Coalition countered in a statement to Reuters, however, arguing that the organization was on "sound legal footing" due to its nonprofit status while pointing out that “Locast has been operating for more than a year and a half, and no broadcaster has filed until now."......

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/455588-broadcasters-sue-nonprofit-that-streams-tv-channels-for-free

==========================

'Locast' is how we've been watching Colbert while CBS is blocked @DTV

;)

36 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Now receiving the original CBS 2 New York.

That's not exactly a news source for local, state or Regional West Virginia, is it?

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

That's not exactly a news source for local, state or Regional West Virginia, is it?

Directv Channel 390.   

The local cable is WOWK.  Directv no longer has it on their lower channels which is owned by Nexstar - have the remaining networks

ncs_wowk-studio_0003.JPG

4 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Directv Channel 390.   

The local cable is WOWK.  Directv no longer has it on their lower channels which is owned by Nexstar - have the remaining networks

ncs_wowk-studio_0003.JPG

WOWK13 is not a cable anything oh, it's a broadcast station and a CBS affiliate.