Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would a Film Noir work today?

No one has mentioned The Last Seduction. This brilliant Film Noir and is even better if you turn off the colour on your TV!!

Linda Farentino is superb - sexy, sassy and funny.

Some people on this forum have a strange idea of what Film Noir is all about.

Body Heat (watch this with the colour off too!) I agree with, some of the other films mentioned bear no resemblence to Film Noir whatsoever.It's all about darkness; shadows and the darkness of the human mind.

Robert1

All good examples. When I saw "Monsieur Hire" by Patrice Laconte, I knew that film noir was alive and well and living in Europe. Captivating photography, classic noir plot and characters and a lovely muted palette of colors that suggested the mood of black and white while still being contemporary.

I also think that Neil Jordan brings a noir sensibility to his films, whatever genre he is working in. While "The Crying Game" is often sited, films like "In Dreams" and "The End of the Affair" carry the elements of suspense and emotional intensity that the best of the '40s Noir offer.

I don't think either director uses foul language. They are more frank in their depiction of sexuality and the aftermath of violence, but it is never gratuitous. They both also have an uncanny way of using little splashes of color or a dominant to convey information. I find it nearly as atmospheric as a rain drenched B&W street.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think REAL, TRUE noir would work today, because so much of the atmosphere of noir came from the atmosphere of life at that time. WWII and Post-WWII paranoia and cynicism gave noir it's true atmosphere. There are a lot of great neo-noirs, but they really don't have the exact atmosphere that made noir 'noir'.

Though there are some great neo-noirs. I just saw an EXCELLENT one called Brick. It's a noir-ish story set in a high school, but it does a remarkable job of using noir dialect and style.

As for the swearing/nudity/sex/whatever complaints, I really do not mind any of it in films as long as it isn't completely unnecessary. Sometimes sex scenes or nudity or swearing are just thrown into films for no reason, or to give it some sort of misguided "style". This sort of thing is usually done by bad directors.

However, sometimes these things aid the storyline. You have a character who is supposed to be crude and vulgar, he's going to swear a lot. That's not unnecessary. That's realistic.

Sex and nudity in films today are there for a lot more reasons that just to "be there". Often times nudity is an excellent thing to use to depict vulnerability, isolation, estrangement, etc. And most of these times it's tastefully done. Sex scenes can be used to show a wide range of things. A History of Violence is a perfect example of this. The two sex scenes in the film, and how vastly different they are, are pretty essential to show how much the events of the film have changed the way the characters relate to each other. The love scene in Mulholland Drive is certainly open to interpretation, but there's no denying that it means quite a bit to the story, to the characters, and to the entire symbolism of the film.

I don't think that films that feature these things are necessarily bad at all. sex, nudity, and swearing are hardly things to gauge the quality of a film by. If these things are just there in a movie for no reason, then yes, that's bad, but usually that's not what's making the film bad. It has a lot of other problems to begin with, and the misuse of these things is just one of them.

• 2 years later...

I much as I enjoy film noir, it is a genre, and like other film genres, it has its own

conventional defining elements-shadowy visual style, amoral characters for the

hero or anti-hero to play off against or to overlap, downscale in the extreme settings

where criminals and other lowlifes can roam, snappy tough-guy dialogue, etc. While

not every noir has every element, most have a majority of them. What diffferentiates

a good or great noir from just a standard one is individual vision and talent. So it

would definitely possible to make a modern film noir, and preferably in

black and white. What would make it good is just what worked in the old days,

the visions of an individual or a group of individuals and the talent to put that vision

into film terms.

• 2 weeks later...

i say no- noir was built in a time frame that was subtle, classier,people actually liked dialog, watching movies were like reading books.

if it were done today it would be graphic, over the top and violent

and what i like about noir is that i can watch some of these films over and over again and see something different.

we live in a microwave,fast food society

it woulnd.t work