Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Might as well start a formal separate thread for this.

Written & Directed by Quentin Tarantino. Cinematography by Robert Richardson. Starring....

Leonardo DiCaprio as Rick Dalton:
An actor who starred in the television Western series Bounty Law from 1958 to 1963, based on Wanted Dead or Alive (1958–1961). His attempt to transition to film failed and in 1969 he is struggling, doing guest roles on other people's programs while contemplating moving to Italy, which has become a hotbed for low-budget Westerns. Dalton's relationship with Cliff Booth is based on that of actor Burt Reynolds and his long time stunt double Hal Needham.

Brad Pitt as Cliff Booth:
A Vietnam War veteran and Rick's longtime stunt double and best friend. Tarantino and Pitt modeled Booth after Billy Jack, a character portrayed in four films by actor Tom Laughlin.

Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate:
A pregnant actress married to director Roman Polanski and next door neighbor of Dalton. Robbie did not consult with Polanski in preparation for the role, but read his 1985 autobiography Roman by Polanski.

Emile Hirsch as Jay Sebring:
A Hollywood hairstylist and friend and ex-boyfriend of Tate.

Margaret Qualley as Pussycat:
A member of the "Manson Family" who catches Booth's interest. Based loosely on Kathryn Lutesinger who had the nickname "Kitty".

Timothy Olyphant as James Stacy:
An actor who co-starred on the TV western Lancer.

Austin Butler as Charles "Tex" Watson:
A central member of the "Manson Family", alongside four other members.

Dakota Fanning as Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme:
A member of the infamous "Manson Family" who obtained her nickname while living on George Spahn's ranch.

Bruce Dern as George Spahn:
An 80-year-old nearly blind man who rented his Los Angeles ranch out to be used as a location for Westerns. Charles Manson convinced Spahn to allow him and his followers to live on the ranch. In exchange for rent, Manson coerced his female followers into having sexual relations with the ranch owner, and serving as his seeing-eye guides. Burt Reynolds was initially cast in the role, but died before his scenes could be filmed.

Al Pacino as Marvin Schwarzs:
A Hollywood producer and Dalton's agent.

Kurt Russell as Randy:
A stunt coordinator who also serves as the film's narrator.

Zoë Bell as Randy's wife, also a stunt coordinator.

Lorenza Izzo as Francesca Cappucci, an Italian film crew member and Dalton's eventual wife

Michael Madsen as the Sheriff on Bounty Law

Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen

Mike Moh as Bruce Lee

and many more...

Let the discussions begin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Filming location list:

Tustin, California, USA, (Taco Bell)
Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA (as Spahn Ranch)
Santa Clarita, California, USA
Cicada Club - 617 S. Olive Street, Los Angeles, California, USA (Italian Restaurant)
Cielo Drive, Los Angeles, California, USA
Toluca Lake, California, USA (street scenes)
Musso & Frank Grill - 6667 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA (as itself; interior and exterior)
Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, California, USA (Hollywood street scenes)
Earl Carroll Theater - 6230 Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA (Aquarius Theater exterior)
Frolic Room - 6245 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, California, USA (site of Rick's car accident)

• Like 2

Is there a lot of filthy potty-mouth carrying on with bad words and such business? How about gory bloody mayhem and violence? And shameless hussies in their all-together? I may need to bring my smelling salts.

• Haha 1

Yes, to people talking normally and not resorting to genuine Hollywood (gosh darn it - dad blast it) type gibberish, No to any shameless hussies in the altogether.

Actually 95 percent of the film is pretty restrained. until the pay off.

7 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Yes, to people talking normally and not resorting to genuine Hollywood (gosh darn it - dad blast it) type gibberish, No to any shameless hussies in the altogether.

Actually 95 percent of the film is pretty restrained. until the pay off.

Dag-nabbit, I like filthy potty talk, gory ultra-violence and wimmins in they all-together. 

I'm just kiddin', although I have no problem with any of the above. I know some viewers have an issue with it. I've heard it's Tarantino's most reserved movie since Jackie Brown. And I haven't read a bad word about it from anyone who's actually seen it, outside of some critics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you're looking for lots of explicit nudidity, in my viewing experience Tarantino is not your man,

but I might see it anyway. When I fist heard the title I thought it might be a flick about the

Wonderland murders and Johnny Wadd, though I think that one has already done. Every time

I go to the Bing Image feed I keep seeing this photo of Scarlett Johansson. 

jqJY1ov.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vautrin said:

If you're looking for lots of explicit nudidity, in my viewing experience Tarantino is not your man,

but I might see it anyway. When I fist heard the title I thought it might be a flick about the

Wonderland murders and Johnny Wadd, though I think that one has already done. Every time

I go to the Bing Image feed I keep seeing this photo of Scarlett Johansson. 

jqJY1ov.jpg

Image result for tex avery wolf eyes gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here's what I thought of the film:

Other than a few scenes I thought Tarantino could've trimmed in length and thus improving the pacing of the film and especially during its middle stretches which seemed to lag just a bit, and also for a few anachronisms I noticed, I thought his film which is a melding of Hollywood fiction with that of Hollywood fact was very entertaining on the whole. 

The acting was uniformly excellent as one would expect from a cast made up primarily of seasoned pros, and the inclusion of modern actors in what are essentially cameo roles playing well known stars of that period was also a nice touch I thought. And, other than the aforementioned few anachronisms, Tarantino's attention to detail in recreating the SoCal of 1969 was spot on.

(...I'd give it 3.5/4 stars)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Here's what I thought of the film:

Other than a few scenes I thought Tarantino could've trimmed in length and thus improving the pacing of the film and especially during its middle stretches which seemed to lag just a bit, and also for a few anachronisms I noticed, I thought his film which is a melding of Hollywood fiction with that of Hollywood fact was very entertaining on the whole. 

The acting was uniformly excellent as one would expect from a cast made up primarily of seasoned pros, and the inclusion of modern actors in what are essentially cameo roles playing well known stars of that period was also a nice touch I thought. And, other than the aforementioned few anachronisms, Tarantino's attention to detail in recreating the SoCal of 1969 was spot on.

(...I'd give it 3.5/4 stars)

What did the wife think?

Just now, cigarjoe said:

for a few anachronisms I noticed,

You are the expert on SoCal give us some examples was it some of the autos or some of the buildings. 

And a question, when I was in L.A. I didn't notice any of those globe on post/candlestick lights. I'm sure some neighborhoods still have them, but where?

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

What did the wife think?

She liked it quite a lot actually, although as I expected she would, she covered her eyes a few times during the scene which for obvious reasons will remain unmentioned in detail.

(...her only complaint later being that she unfortunately sat next to some damn fellow boomer dude who was constantly explaining the movie's finer points to his wife in a voice loud enough for my wife to hear)

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

You are the expert on SoCal give us some examples was it some of the autos or some of the buildings. 

And a question, when I was in L.A. I didn't notice any of those globe on post/candlestick lights. I'm sure some neighborhoods still have them, but where?

Re the autos - While watching the movie, I did think of all the new postings one could add to this forum's "That's a Nice Car" thread. And the primary anachronisms I noticed consisted of the (Pan Am) Boeing 747 not coming into regular fleet service until almost six months after the climax of the events depicted in the film(being the old airline employee that I was, I would of course notice this) and the Triumph motorcycle shown twice in the film, once just parked and the other time showing actor Tim Olyphant playing James Stacy riding away on it, is of a later than 1969 vintage. (but then again and once again, I would probably only notice this because of being the avid motorcyclist since 1967)

Re the street lights - There were and still are a few areas in L.A. which still have those old Art Deco styled lamps lined along the streets, if that is this was the style of street lamp you're referring to here. I do however remember that many areas of L.A. during the time this movie is set were replacing those with more modern lighting in order to brighten the roads for safety reasons, but in the last few decades and with a renewed interest in both architectural preservation and in the Art Deco movement, these conversions have pretty much ceased as far as I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't know about the plane, I figured you'd know the autos and motorcycles. :D

• Like 1

CJ, as I recall there was some quick mention of the Beach Boy's Dennis Wilson during the proceedings of this film, was there not?

And as I'm sure you know, Wilson having had some involvement with the Manson Family for a time, I'm now wondering with all the "cameo appearances" done by present day actors of other notables of the time who had even a slight tangential relationship to this story, why Tarantino didn't include one of Wilson?

And, I'm now also wondering if he might have, what present day actor he might have cast as him, as I thought he did do a great job in this regard with the others.

(...particularly I thought with Mike Moh as Bruce Lee and Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen)

Jackie Brown is my favourite Tarantino film. No over the top violence, and a great showcase for Pam Grier who, to my eyes, looks more gorgeous in it than in her Foxy Brown days.

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...particularly I thought with Mike Moh as Bruce Lee and Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen)

Exactly, Damian Lewis almost looked like a reincarnated McQueen.

33 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Jackie Brown is my favourite Tarantino film. No over the top violence, and a great showcase for Pam Grier who, to my eyes, looks more gorgeous in it than in her Foxy Brown days.

You'll love this then, like I mentioned earlier it's all pretty restrained and closest to Jackie Brown than any of his other films.

28 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

You'll love this then, like I mentioned earlier it's all pretty restrained and closest to Jackie Brown than any of his other films.

That's great but with fun people Squeaky Fromme and her crowd lurking around in the story difficult to believe there isn't an OCEANFUL of blood at one point. This is Tarantino, after all.

2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

That's great but with fun people Squeaky Fromme and her crowd lurking around in the story difficult to believe there isn't an OCEANFUL of blood at one point. This is Tarantino, after all.

Well it's restrained 95-98% up to a point. 😎

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Image result for tex avery wolf eyes gif

Hard to figure out which are larger--the wolf's eyes or Scarlett's boobs.

Just thought I should put out here that Tarantino went through Columbia's film collection and selected 10 Columbia titles that have some degree of bearing on the new film. looking at the 10, one is there because it has a clip in the new film, others because of the swinging late 60s feel, others because they have that B movie atmosphere that the main character is involved in. Here are the 10:

Gunman's Walk (1958) with Van Heflin and Tab Hunter

Battle of the Coral Sea (1959) with Cliff Robertson

Arizona Raiders (1965) with Audie Murphy

Hammerhead (1968) with Vince Edwards, Judy Geeson, and Diana Dors

The Wrecking Crew (1968) with Dean Martin, Sharon Tate, Nancy Kwan, Elke Sommer, and Tina louise (clip of scene with Tate is in the new film)

Easy Rider (1969) with Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson, Karen Black, and Toni Basil

Bob and Carol Ted and Alice (1969) with Natalie Wood, Elliot Gould, Dyan Cannon, and Robert Culp

Model Shop (1969) with Gary Lockwood and Anouk Aimee

Cactus Flower (1969) with Ingrid Bergman, Walter Matthau, Goldie Hawn, Rick Lenz, and Jack Weston

Getting Straight (1970) with Elliot Gould and Candice Bergen

Frankly, Scarlett looked pretty darn good in another recent film that flirted with Hollywood facts for a laugh.

In her take as an Esther Williams-type in the Coen Bros' Hail, Caesar! here...

scarlett-johansson-caesar.jpg

Just now, Dargo said:

Frankly, Scarlett looked pretty darn good in another recent film that flirted with Hollywood facts for a laugh.

In her take as an Esther Williams-type in the Coen Bros' Hail, Caesar! here...

scarlett-johansson-caesar.jpg

With a thick Brooklyn accent to boot! I enjoyed that film quite a bit and its affection for classic Hollywood. Also liked Tilda Swinton's twin gossip columnists sisters, a takeoff on Hedda and Louella.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

With a thick Brooklyn accent to boot! I enjoyed that film quite a bit and its affection for classic Hollywood. Also liked Tilda Swinton's twin gossip columnists sisters, a takeoff on Hedda and Louella.

I did too, CI. However, and even though it was also packed with period detail just as this latest Tarantino film is, perhaps because it's appeal seemed primarily to those of us knowledgeable about studio era Hollywood and thus to those of us who could get all of the "in jokes" in it, it never seemed to catch fire with the general public.

(...and even though after checking its box office returns just now, it did take in a tidy little profit of about $40M)

• Thanks 1

re: DAMIAN LEWIS----

I recall either in the early 2---'s or late '90's there was an actor on a TV cop show we thought looked a lot like STEVE McQUEEN's love child  ;)  But never remembered the actor's name or the name of the show.  Looking him up just now, it just might HAVE been him, but no info on him ever doing an American television cop show.  

On that note,   There was a TV show in the early '90's, a resurrection of THE UNTOUCHABLES and using that title, which had a (then) young TOM AMENDES  as Elliot Ness, and reminded us of a young JAMES STEWART.  At least on THAT show he did.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 2