Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorie Grace Kelly movie?

What a great month of Grace Kelly films. Thank you TCM !

November '09 TCM Star of the Month: Grace Kelly

Thursdays beginning at 8 p.m.

Thursday, Nov. 5

01. Fourteen Hours (1951) 8 pm

02. High Noon (1952) 10 pm

03. Mogambo (1953) 11:30 pm

Thursday, Nov. 12

04. Dial M For Murder (1954) 8 pm

05. Rear Window (1954) 10 pm

06. The Country Girl (1954) 12 am

Thursday, Nov. 19

07. Green Fire (1954) 8 pm

08. The Bridges At Toko-Ri (1954) 10 pm

09. The Rockingham Tea Set (1950) 12 am

10. The Kill (1952) 1am

Thursday, Nov. 26

11. To Catch a Thief (1955) 8pm

12. High Society (1956) 10pm

13. The Swan (1956) 12am

14. Short Film: Wedding in Monaco (1956) 2am

=====

Model, stage actress, film star and princess: Grace Kelly is fondly remembered as one of the most beautiful and dignified performers ever to grace the Silver Screen. This November, in honor of what would have been the actress' 80th birthday, TCM will celebrate her life and work by presenting all of her feature films, as well as two television specials. TCM host and film historian Robert Osborne will guide viewers through her fascinating career and outstanding performances. Within the collection is the actress' Oscar -winning performance as the plain and resentful wife of an alcoholic in The Country Girl (1954 ? Nov. 12), as well as the three consecutive films directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starting with Dial M for Murder (1954 ? Nov. 12). Hitchcock unintentionally played matchmaker when he cast Kelly in To Catch a Thief (1955 ? Nov. 26), which was set on the French Riviera, where she met her husband, Prince Rainier of Monaco.

Last day of Grace Kelly as SOTM!! :)

*To Catch a Thief* (1955) 8pm ET

A retired cat burglar fights to clear himself of a series of Riviera robberies committed in his style.

Cast: Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, Jessie Royce Landis, John Williams Dir: Alfred Hitchcock C-106 mins, TV-G

*High Society* (1956) 10pm ET

In this musical version of The Philadelphia Story, tabloid reporters invade a society wedding.

Cast: Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Celeste Holm Dir: Charles Walters C-107 mins, TV-PG

*The Swan* (1956) 12am ET

On the eve of her marriage to a prince, a noblewoman falls for her brother's tutor.

Cast: Grace Kelly, Alec Guinness, Louis Jourdan, Agnes Moorehead Dir: Charles Vidor C-108 mins, TV-G

*Short Film: WEDDING IN MONACO* (1956) 2am ET

Exclusive footage captures the wedding of Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier.

Cast: Grace Kelly, Prince Rainier of Monaco. Dir: Jean Masson. C-32 mins, TV-G

> HollywoodGolightly wrote: Hi, LuvTCM! Do you have a favorite Grace Kelly movie?

Alright, here goes my thoughts to close out an outstanding Grace Kelly Nov '09 TCM SOM. In my opinion, I don't think Grace made an unwatchable movie. They are all enjoyable +/-. Further, many people bash Grace because she was an aggressive sexpot in her personal life. However, it makes me like her even more. I thought all red-blooded males liked a beautiful and articulate goddess in the public and a **** in the bedroom, *lol*. I've always loved beautiful naturally testosterone bias women like Grace. Not only do they have a higher sex drive and metabolism, I find they have superior communication skills and are easier to relate with compared to estrogen biased women, no disrespect intended. Anyway, movies are art so it all personal tastes but I rank GK movies as follows:

REAR WINDOW (1954) US Release: 8/1/54

__ One of Alfred Hitchcock's best. I thought James Stewart and Grace were perfect together.

HIGH SOCIETY (1956) US Release: 7/17/56

__ Great comedy and musical. 1st movie that both Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby starred together. I thought they were great along with Grace and Celeste Holm. It was Kelly's last movie she starred in before leaving for Monaco, by boat, to marry Prince Rainier - so this added to it's significance. I got a kick out of Grace wearing the 12-carat diamond ring in the movie, given to her by Rainier, where she was sitting in the chair playing with it and shining it. I enjoyed Grace's on-screen feistiness in this and some of her other movies.

TO CATCH A THIEF (1955) US Release: 8/3/55

__ Of her movies, I though Grace was the most stunning in TCAT. Over the last 25 years I've spent significant time in Southern France including Nice, Cannes, Saint Tropez; Monaco; and Northern Italy. I've driven the road twice where Grace was killed. Many of the roads in this area of the Alpes-Maritimes are very dangerous. It was great to see the French C?te d'Azur and Riviera back in the '50's. It's sad the U.S. dollar is now extremely weak to the Euro. I used to travel to Europe almost every summer, but now it's too expensive.

DIAL M FOR MURDER (1954) US Release: 5/28/54

__ The first of the Hitchcock-Kelly collaborations and a movie I greatly enjoyed.

THE COUNTRY GIRL (1954) US Release: 12/11/54

__ The acting by William Holden, Bing Crosby, and Grace was outstanding. I'm not a big fan of drama movies and I also thought there was too much dramatic over-acting. However, Grace bagged the Oscar for Best Actress in a leading role so what do I know, *lol*.

MOGAMBO (1953) US Release: 10/9/53

__ I liked this movie. It was great to see Clark Gable, Grace, and her friend at the time Ava Gardner together. I thought Ava's personality really shined earning her a Oscar nomination for Best Actress. Grace was Oscar nominated for Best Supporting Actress(BSA) and won the Golden Globe BSA award. All the off-screen tabloid fodder was also great including Frank Sinatra being on the African set to make sure Gable stayed out of Ava's knickers. I liked what Grace said when asked about her sexual affair with Clark during filming. "What else is there to do if you're alone in a tent in Africa with Clark Gable?" - *lol*

THE BRIDGES AT TOKO-RI (1954) US Release: 12/22/54

__ I'm a big William Holden classic movies fan and enjoyed seeing he and Grace together again.

HIGH NOON (1952) US Release: 7/24/52

__ Good movie and acting but I'm not a big western fan.

GREEN FIRE (1954) US Release: 12/24/54

___ I liked the cinematography, South America jungles setting, and emeralds "green fire" plot.

THE SWAN (1956) US Release: 4/26/56

___ Good movie, although the plot is somewhat tedious and melodramatic. I thought Alec Guinness as Prince Albert was a poor casting choice.

FOURTEEN HOURS (1951) US Release: 3/6/51

___ Grace's theater feature film debut. She is in only a few scenes, and it's not her best acting, but the movie itself is good.

(Continued-2)

This would be my Grace Kelly Ultimate DVDs Collection,

in preference order. TCM Prices, Nov. 29, 2009

01. REAR WINDOW (2 Discs Universal Legacy Series) - $22.94

___ Release Date: Oct. 7, '08, Studio: Universal

02. TO CATCH A THIEF (2 Discs Centennial Collection) - $14.44

___ Release Date: Mar 24, '09, Studio: Paramount

03. HIGH SOCIETY - $11.99

___ Release Date: May 13, '08, Studio: Warner Home Video

04. DIAL M FOR MURDER - $19.99

___ Release Date: Sep. 7, '04, Studio: Warner HV

05. MOGAMBO - $10.99

___ Release Date: Jun 20, '06, Studio: Warner HV

06. THE BRIDGES AT TOKO-RI - $9.99

___ Release Date: May 22, '01, Studio: Paramount

07. THE COUNTRY GIRL - $9.99

___ Release Date: Sep 21, '04, Studio: Paramount

08. HIGH NOON (2-Discs Ultimate Collector's Edition) - $16.99

___ Release Date: Jun 0, '08, Studio: Lionsgate

To my knowledge neither "Green Fire" or "The Swan" are available on official DVD.

OTHER:

14 Hours 1951 (Fox Film Noir) (1951) - $14.99

___ DVD Release Date: Aug 29, '06, Studio: 20th Century Fox

NOTE: While there may be less expensive sources to purchase Hollywood classic movies DVDs, I always purchase them from TCM.com to support keeping the channel commercial free. - MG

(Continued-3)

TCM UPCOMING GRACE KELLY MOVIES

Fourteen Hours: Tue. Dec 01 11:00am

High Noon: Tue. Dec 29 7:00am

Rear Window: Thu. Dec 31 6:00pm

Mogambo: Tue. Feb 02 11:30am

High Society: Sun. Feb 14 8:00am

To Catch a Thief: Sun. Feb 21 12:30am

NOVEMBER 2009, TCM STAR OF THE MONTH: GRACE KELLY

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=253215

TCM PRINCE ALBERT II's TRIBUTE VIDEO to his mother Grace Kelly

http://www.tcm.com/2009/gracekelly/newsletter/pr/index.html

__ I've always liked Albert and thought he did a great job with this piece. - MG

GK MOVIES OPINION ARTICLES WITH MANY OUTSTANDING PHOTOS

_ Alternative Film Guide by Andre Soares

Nov 5: Grace Kelly, TCM Star of the Month

http://www.altfg.com/blog/actors/grace-kelly-on-tcm/

Nov 5: Grace Kelly: To Catch A Thief, The Swan

http://www.altfg.com/blog/actors/grace-kelly-to-catch-a-thief-the-swan/

Nov 10: Grace Kelly: Dial M for Murder, Rear Window, The Country Girl

http://www.altfg.com/blog/classics/grace-kelly-rear-window-the-country-girl/

Nov 16: Grace Kelly: Green Fire, The Rockingham Tea Set

http://www.altfg.com/blog/classics/grace-kelly-green-fire-the-rockingham-tea-set-123/

Nov 24: TCM Grace Kelly "Star of the Month" Movies comes to a close

http://www.altfg.com/blog/classics/grace-kelly-high-society-the-swan-123/

> {quote:title=LuvTCMClassics wrote:}{quote}

> > HollywoodGolightly wrote: Hi, LuvTCM! Do you have a favorite Grace Kelly movie?

>

> Alright, here goes my thoughts to close out an outstanding Grace Kelly Nov '09 TCM SOM. In my opinion, I don't think Grace made an unwatchable movie. They are all enjoyable +/-. Further, many people bash Grace because she was an aggressive sexpot in her personal life. However, it makes me like her even more.

Thank you for sharing, LuvTCM - and I'm glad you enjoyed having her as TCM's Star of the Month.

For some reason, I had been completely unaware that FOURTEEN HOURS was Grace's first film. I saw it this morning. Very entertaining, though Grace's role is little more than a bit part. I can see, though, why she was noticed as a candidate for bigger roles.

> Finance Wrote: For some reason, I had been completely unaware that FOURTEEN HOURS was Grace's first film. I saw it this morning. Very entertaining, though Grace's role is little more than a bit part. I can see, though, why she was noticed as a candidate for bigger roles.

Many people have not heard of or watched 14 Hours because it doesn't get much Grace Kelly discussion/review in the media. I was surprised it is available on DVD. As you posted, it was just a bit part for Grace - like a number of Bogart's very early career movies.

> HollywoodGolightly Wrote: Thank you for sharing, LuvTCM - and I'm glad you enjoyed having her as TCM's Star of the Month.

I liked Grace even more after watching all her movies in one month. It was like when James Cagney was Jan '08 TCM Star of the Month. I was a huge Cagney fan before this, but even a bigger one after watching a month of his movies, including some I had not seen. I'm sure it will be the same for Bogart after this month.

GraceTCAT.jpg

Grace Kelly - To Catch A Thief (1955)

• 2 months later...

Coming up on the schedule for Sunday night/ Monday morning:

*To Catch a Thief* (1955) 12:30pm ET

A retired cat burglar fights to clear himself of a series of Riviera robberies committed in his style.

Cast: Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, Jessie Royce Landis, John Williams Dir: Alfred Hitchcock C-106 mins, TV-G

• 1 month later...

Nice little story on the news today:

*London museum showcases Grace Kelly's gowns*

LONDON ? Dresses that Grace Kelly wore in screen classics such as "High Society" and "Rear Window" are going on show at a London museum.

"Grace Kelly: Style Icon" at the Victoria and Albert Museum will display the glamorous wardrobe of the Oscar winning actress-turned-princess. Exhibits include the gown Kelly wore to accept her Oscar in 1955, as well as the outfit she wore to her first meeting with her husband Prince Rainier III of Monaco later that year.

The museum says the exhibition, which opens Saturday, explores the blond screen siren's enduring appeal.

The show will trace the evolution of her style as Princess Grace of Monaco, with haute couture gowns by her favorite couturiers Dior, Balenciaga, Givenchy and Yves St Laurent.

Kelly died in 1982 at age 52.

____

On the Net:

V&A Museum: http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fashion/gracekelly/

The first time I saw 14 Hours years ago I was impressed with Grace Kelly's performance and thought it was bigger than it turned out to be the last time I watched. Maybe it was having divorced parents; I wished they'd forgiven and forgotten as Grace's character did. I love the whole movie, by the way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been a fan of Grace Kelly for along time. Though I'd heard a lot of stories about her sexual escapades and even manipulation of people to get ahead, I'd never believed these stories, A month ago I've read the biografie of her by James Spada. It was a real eye opener. It seems Grace wasn't really appreciated by the whole family (didn't have the athletic abillity) and felt pretty much left out. This explains a lot about her behavior and her fondness of older men (especially her father was, you might say disappointed in her). In her youth she found ways of other people liking her and it became a personality trade. And her lovemaking to older men seems to suggest she wanted warmth and comfort from these men, like she never got from her father or mother. Furthermore, she had the urge to prove herself to her father and that's why she looked ahead and tried to get good parts even if it meant beginning a relation with an important men. So, maybe Grace was born into a wealthy and influential family, that doesn't mean she had it easy. On the contrary, I think she must felt pretty miserable at times in her youth and later on too, I guess. Just imagine she hadn't had a miserable childhood. I guess she wouldn't have married prince Rainier (because I think it was to please her father; it was something his money couldn't buy) and had a marvelous long film career. Such a shame!

So what are my favorite Grace Kelly movies? Well, the best isn't hard to guess, is it? Rear Window is just top notch. The rest is as followed for me:

2. The country girl (Marvelous acting, sometimes a bit stagy and a little over the top, but what a revelation is BIng, isn't he?)

3. Mogambo (She had a marvelous time during the filming in Africa and it shows)

4. Dial M for murder (it's the story, the direction by Hitchcock in 3d and marvelous acting, especially by Ray Milland)

5. To catch a thief (Cary GRant and GRace Kelly, what a combination!)

6. High noon (a marvelous movie, but the role of GRace is a bit small)

7. High society (Doesn't live up to the original, but still a very entertaining movie...with louis!)

8. Green fire (a pretty rouitine action adventure, but with some marvelous scenes on the plantation with Grace)

9. The swan (Well, I do not care much about this one. THough I'm a hige fan of Alec Guiness he just isn't right for the part. And the story leavers me cold)

I haven't seen THe bridges at Toko-Ri and Fourteen hours yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Al in all, I think Grace Kelly is a very interesting character with a lot of depth. I think she was very talented too and I will always regret her marriage to Rainier, because it robbed us of many marvelous performances and movies.

I've been a fan of Grace Kelly for along time. Though I'd heard a lot of stories about her sexual escapades and even manipulation of people to get ahead, I'd never believed these stories, A month ago I've read the biografie of her by James Spada. It was a real eye opener. It seems Grace wasn't really appreciated by the whole family (didn't have the athletic abillity) and felt pretty much left out. This explains a lot about her behavior and her fondness of older men (especially her father was, you might say disappointed in her). In her youth she found ways of other people liking her and it became a personality trade. And her lovemaking to older men seems to suggest she wanted warmth and comfort from these men, like she never got from her father or mother. Furthermore, she had the urge to prove herself to her father and that's why she looked ahead and tried to get good parts even if it meant beginning a relation with an important men. So, maybe Grace was born into a wealthy and influential family, that doesn't mean she had it easy. On the contrary, I think she must felt pretty miserable at times in her youth and later on too, I guess. Just imagine she hadn't had a miserable childhood. I guess she wouldn't have married prince Rainier (because I think it was to please her father; it was something his money couldn't buy) and had a marvelous long film career. Such a shame!

So what are my favorite Grace Kelly movies? Well, the best isn't hard to guess, is it? Rear Window is just top notch. The rest is as followed for me:

2. The country girl (Marvelous acting, sometimes a bit stagy and a little over the top, but what a revelation is BIng, isn't he?)

3. Mogambo (She had a marvelous time during the filming in Africa and it shows)

4. Dial M for murder (it's the story, the direction by Hitchcock in 3d and marvelous acting, especially by Ray Milland)

5. To catch a thief (Cary GRant and GRace Kelly, what a combination!)

6. High noon (a marvelous movie, but the role of GRace is a bit small)

7. High society (Doesn't live up to the original, but still a very entertaining movie...with louis!)

8. Green fire (a pretty rouitine action adventure, but with some marvelous scenes on the plantation with Grace)

9. The swan (Well, I do not care much about this one. THough I'm a hige fan of Alec Guiness he just isn't right for the part. And the story leavers me cold)

I haven't seen THe bridges at Toko-Ri and Fourteen hours yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Al in all, I think Grace Kelly is a very interesting character with a lot of depth. I think she was very talented too and I will always regret her marriage to Rainier, because it robbed us of many marvelous performances and movies.