Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Blame Star Wars (1977)?

I am probably just wasting more time thinking about this than getting actual work done, but here is the Cantina band.  Years later I'd say it reminds me a bit of Klezmer, with steel drum.  So Carribean Klezmer.  Backed up with Muppets-like big band phrasing.

Listen to about the first half minute of this:

Then listen to the part of this I bookmarked here, just for structure.  This is just the first thing I found, closer examples might be out there.

• Confused 1
49 minutes ago, CoriSCapnSkip said:

was the line actually spoken in the TCM version and I briefly entered an alternate timeline in which that line doesn't exist?

I believe this is the most likely explanation.

I literally read the novelization like three dozen times between Star Wars and Empire coming out. We had no YouTube to go re-watch our favorite scenes from the movies, kids; hell, we didn't even have VHS yet. I had to keep my memories of the movie fresh somehow. So, I remember the book way better than the actual movie. And yes there's an exchange in the book where Leia mentions how much Ben meant to Luke, and Han responds with something like well, let's make sure his sacrifice wasn't in vain, and Luke wordlessly gets up and joins him. Which I really liked. I can't help you with whether it was in the movie or not. But I've certainly never heard anyone talk about dialogue being excised for the CGI versions. Certainly that info would be out there on the internet if that had happened.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I believe this is the most likely explanation.

I literally read the novelization like three dozen times between Star Wars and Empire coming out. We had no YouTube to go re-watch our favorite scenes from the movies, kids; hell, we didn't even have VHS yet. I had to keep my memories of the movie fresh somehow. So, I remember the book way better than the actual movie. And yes there's an exchange in the book where Leia mentions how much Ben meant to Luke, and Han responds with something like well, let's make sure his sacrifice wasn't in vain, and Luke wordlessly gets up and joins him. Which I really liked. I can't help you with whether it was in the movie or not. But I've certainly never heard anyone talk about dialogue being excised for the CGI versions. Certainly that info would be out there on the internet if that had happened.

This must be right but I am stunned.  As with many other stories in both book and movie form, often I would see the movie first and while reading the book was able to picture the scenes with the lines spoken in the actors' voices, see their expressions, and so on, but in most cases I knew which things were in both and which were in the book only!  The only time besides this I've had a "false scene" be so vivid in my mind was after the shooting of the mad dog in To Kill a Mockingbird, I thought Jem walked past the dog for a closer look.  After seeing the movie on TCM I checked the book and he doesn't do this in either version.  My concept of reality is slightly shaken!

As for Star Wars, I had a modest collection including the novelization in paperback (from which I cut the pictures after getting a hardcover version), the bubble gum cards, the picture storybook, and a framed cast photo, and saw the movie in the theater (with a line down the block and around a corner--to this day I don't know how we all fitted in but we did)--and the drive-in, and must have seen it on TV, but this was my first viewing since Carrie Fisher's passing and I was just waiting for that line!

13 hours ago, CoriSCapnSkip said:

the picture storybook,

I wonder if we had the same thing. I had a hardback book that combined stills from the movie with a text narrative, considerably simplified from the paperback novel. What I found especially fascinating about it was that it had a number of stills from the Biggs Darklighter sequence, which the novelization takes considerable time on. All these stills of Biggs leads me to believe that these scenes were shot and only cut at some late point just prior to release, because both the paperback novel and this book clearly assumed those scenes would be included. To my knowledge, the Biggs scenes have never been part of any re-release or director's cut. Lucas, I think, was under orders to get the movie down to a certain time limit, right at two hours, and the Biggs scenes were probably easiest to cut, not being crucial to the main narrative. Also the Han and Jabba scene, later restored with the CGI Jabba as he was later envisioned (he was originally a human), was an easy cut.

37 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I wonder if we had the same thing. I had a hardback book that combined stills from the movie with a text narrative, considerably simplified from the paperback novel. What I found especially fascinating about it was that it had a number of stills from the Biggs Darklighter sequence, which the novelization takes considerable time on. All these stills of Biggs leads me to believe that these scenes were shot and only cut at some late point just prior to release, because both the paperback novel and this book clearly assumed those scenes would be included. To my knowledge, the Biggs scenes have never been part of any re-release or director's cut. 

They were, AFAIK, but we've never even seen them in deleted scenes.  In the movie, Luke reunites with Biggs (aka "Red 3") briefly at Rebel HQ just before the big Death Star assault, but by that point, we have no idea who he is.

And yes, Fox was panicking over the movie before release, so it's possible the scene was a late cut.

This conversation about enhancing older movies with CGI got me thinking about "South Park - Free Hat".

After watching the new directors cut of "Raiders of The Lost Ark", everyone either melted or exploded.  Cartman said...Man, that new version must have sucked *****! :lol:

south-park-season-6-9-free-hat-george-lu

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It's a very awkward looking scene with the CGI Jabba replacing the human actor who was actually walking alongside Ford. Jabba also looks much smaller to me in this scene then he's shown to be in his other appearances.

Noticed that right off.  And didja also notice that Jabba's facial expression was more reticent and timid?  Lacking the smug malevolence we first saw in his first physical appearance in RETURN OF THE JEDI? 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It's a very awkward looking scene with the CGI Jabba replacing the human actor who was actually walking alongside Ford. Jabba also looks much smaller to me in this scene then he's shown to be in his other appearances.

During the enhancement of the scene, someone pointed out that was before Jabba got lazy and fat from eating all those big greasy slugs. :lol:

KW3K5B.gif

Lame excuse since he was quite fat in Episode I. :huh:

jabba-podrace.jpeg

Question, how did the Hutts ever got the first "manned" rocket off the ground or their first airplane?? :blink::P

33 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Jabba the Hut.  Like him, hate him.  You still talk about him.

He's like Boba Fett, Darth Maul and Captain Phasma--One film, creates memorable character, and then offed.  Leaving us to wonder what might have been.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

He's like Boba Fett, Darth Maul and Captain Phasma--One film, creates memorable character, and then offed.  Leaving us to wonder what might have been.

Darth Maul had a memorial service to remember, they played "I Fall To Pieces". :P