Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor Reagan's racist private remarks now made public- will this affect his legacy?

45 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

You are seriously saying Africans are monkeys who are uncomfortable wearing shoes may or may not be racist?

I hadn't seen that part of the video before I posted. I would continue to watch Reagan films.  I doubt I would invite either one of them to my home for dinner.

I assume all famous people have some dirt, some unfortunate comments or actions. It might come out that every single president was racist. Who knows ??

I don't judge words the way I judge actions. Those who have "done" abhorrent things, I'll have nothing to do with.

13 minutes ago, laffite said:

His legacy will become stronger. The legions of Trumpies will bring Reagan to new heights of popularity. They will berate him for not saying that in a State of the Union, but they will forgive him just like the forgive Trump. Actually they don't forgive because they never find fault. They're all for racism. Reagan for Mount Rushmore. I can see it now.

The photo of those two men, As we speak, I'm sure there are those trying to figure out how they can get a framed version on their wall :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, laffite said:

His legacy will become stronger. The legions of Trumpies will bring Reagan to new heights of popularity. They will berate him for not saying that in a State of the Union, but they will forgive him just like the forgive Trump. Actually they don't forgive because they never find fault. They're all for racism. Reagan for Mount Rushmore. I can see it now.

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Today I would be surprised if any trump supporter was not a racist.

I'd be surprised if any democrat wasn't pro-pedophile

sound stupid? Yep, just as stupid as your comment above. You know nothing as to why anyone would support him,(who needs jobs?) but attacking every one of his supporters just means, Trump wins in 2020. Guess that's what you want....

I love how a non-Reagan fan (I don't like him, saw him in Bedtime for Bonzo only!) felt compelled to post this...for what purpose? This is beyond idiotic, but hey...I MUST tell everyone this!!!!

most of the actors you see in movies from the 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50s would be called racist today.(of course, all white people are racist, I hear)

Adolphe Menjou , Eugene Paulette, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Pat O'Brien, Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen, John Ford, Frank Capra, the list goes on and on...in fact, as liberal as hollywood is today, it was as conservative then...From Jane Russell's IMDB page ( I have always been a Republican, and when I was in Hollywood long ago, most of the people there were Republican. The studio heads were all Republican, my boss Howard Hughes was a raving Republican, and we had a motion picture code in those days so they couldn't do all this naughty stuff. We had John Wayne, we had Charlton Heston, we had man named Ronald Reagan, we had Robert Mitchum, James Stewart, Clark Gable.

now, Mayer, and the Warner bros were democrats, but Jane was mainly acting by the time those folks were replaced

so, I guess all those folks should be banned from TCM, right? if their views don't match today's views perfectly? Heston was a Republican, yet...he was involved with the Civil rights marches...what a sneaky racist!

,   Joan Crawford was a terrible, terrible mother. Promise to stop watching her films? want to have them banned here too?

Roman Polanski raped 13 year old, yet hollywood cheered him, a lot worse than saying something racist, 60+ years ago... Chinatown MUST BE BANNED Burn all copies of the negatives!!!!

I bet YOU and everyone else here has said things in private that they would be ashamed of becoming public knowledge. but, fairs fair. everyone should be banned from tcm, and this blog for anything they have said or thought in the past that was not PC.

3 hours ago, ziggyelman said:

I love how a non-Reagan fan (I don't like him, saw him in Bedtime for Bonzo only!) felt compelled to post this...for what purpose? This is beyond idiotic, but hey...I MUST tell everyone this!!!!

So you can only discuss the actors if you enjoy their films or have seen a large number of them? Also yes, Bonzo is complete garbage that doesn't even qualify a 4/10 rating. Your actor was B-tier at best. 

I am not a racist and am deeply offended by that comment.  But I'm not surprised that some posters have no problem calling fellow posters racists in this venue.

This thread should be completely eliminated or at the very least moved.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, RoyCronin said:

I am not a racist and am deeply offended by that comment.  But I'm not surprised that some posters have no problem calling fellow posters racists in this venue.

This thread should be completely eliminated or at the very least moved.

The OP post was meant to imply that what the actor said was racist not that anyone who liked him was. You can enjoy a movie without supporting the personal lives or views of the actors in it.

Not referring to the OP.   A comment made later that all Trump supporters must be racist.

The points about Reagan and his legacy are interesting and worth discussing, but some people need to drag Trump and his supporters into every conversation.  

Sorry for the confusion, but didn't want to quote the comment I found offensive and give it more life.  Those kind of things really need to stay in Off Topics.

13 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

Not referring to the OP.   A comment made later that all Trump supporters must be racist.

The points about Reagan and his legacy are interesting and worth discussing, but some people need to drag Trump and his supporters into every conversation.  

Sorry for the confusion, but didn't want to quote the comment I found offensive and give it more life.  Those kind of things really need to stay in Off Topics.

Put it this way, all Trump supporters, whether they are racist or not, enable a racist President to make inflammatory racist statements. Your continued support of him only emboldens him to make more statements of that nature.

Sorry if this thread is now getting current day political but is anybody really surprised? Perhaps this thread should be in Off Topics.

• Thanks 2
18 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Why would anyone be surprised Reagan spoke like this? (snipped)The point is he grew up in an unenlightened era when this kind of thinking was accepted and promulgated.

While I agree with most of your post, I take umbrage in the idea of the era Reagan grew up in was "unenlightened".

People have always known racism is wrong, some just chose to accept it, as you state later in the sentence.

• Like 1

All this really proves is that republicans trying to perpetuate the pretense of having the "moral high ground" is just that.  A pretense.  We all know of one member here who always makes some issue out of "liberals" lacking "Judeo-Christian morality".  But that person, probably being republican(and "conservative") would mean he's acutely aware of what a lack of such morality would BE, and could easily recognize it. 

Hey....  I never cared for Reagan as president at all.  But I don't judge nor dismiss his entire filmography based on my dislike of his politics.  If I did that with ANY performing artist, it would mean dumping all my SHIRLEY TEMPLE movies,  ans scrapping all the FRANK ZAPPA CDs in my music library.  And I don't think Trump's racist attitude means all his supporters are racist also.  But too, possibly a good proportion of them.  The rest were just gullible to the point of believing that despite Trump's wealth he actually CARED about all of them enough that once president, all will be well.  But Trump, for the last 40+ years has shown that the most important people to "the Donald" are those HE chooses to be by his side, and the most important thing to him about being president IS him being the president.  Notice how often it seems that he treats many issues like some kind of personal competition, and that it's NOT because anything he does actually does the rest of us any good, but that it makes him LOOK good is what counts.  Next time you see any footage of him count the number of times he says, "I".

Sepiatone 

Latest update on the reliving of my youth to follow:

That Hollywood actor guy Ronald Reagan has just now won the governorship of my state. Man, this guy sure seems folksy. I can see why people who might not like the guy's politics such as myself can still kind'a like him.

Love how the guy seems to start every other sentence with the word "well".

Will have to remember to start doing this myself. Seems people really like that whole "folksy" thing.

(...well, that's it for now, folks...stay tuned for further updates as they come...well, that IS unless this baby is deleted by the moderators, which I actually expect to happen...well, at least maybe moved to the Off Topic Chit-Chat forum and where this thing should be, anyway)

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, ziggyelman said:

(I don't like him, saw him in Bedtime for Bonzo only!) felt compelled to post this...for what purpose? This is beyond idiotic, but hey...I MUST tell everyone this!!!!

If he didn't want people discussing this then he shouldn't have said it in the first place and then deliberately tried to bury it when he was alive. It was also on all of the major news stations yesterday.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

All this really proves is that republicans trying to perpetuate the pretense of having the "moral high ground" is just that.  A pretense.  We all know of one member here who always makes some issue out of "liberals" lacking "Judeo-Christian morality".  But that person, probably being republican(and "conservative") would mean he's acutely aware of what a lack of such morality would BE, and could easily recognize it. 

Hey....  I never cared for Reagan as president at all.  But I don't judge nor dismiss his entire filmography based on my dislike of his politics.  If I did that with ANY performing artist, it would mean dumping all my SHIRLEY TEMPLE movies,  ans scrapping all the FRANK ZAPPA CDs in my music library.  And I don't think Trump's racist attitude means all his supporters are racist also.  But too, possibly a good proportion of them.  The rest were just gullible to the point of believing that despite Trump's wealth he actually CARED about all of them enough that once president, all will be well.  But Trump, for the last 40+ years has shown that the most important people to "the Donald" are those HE chooses to be by his side, and the most important thing to him about being president IS him being the president.  Notice how often it seems that he treats many issues like some kind of personal competition, and that it's NOT because anything he does actually does the rest of us any good, but that it makes him LOOK good is what counts.  Next time you see any footage of him count the number of times he says, "I".

Sepiatone 

There is only a couple of movies people may find offensive but the plot does revolve around 1800's.  People then did viewed blacks that way. 

(But historically don't recall there being 2 Uncle Tom's in the grand opening of "Uncle Tom's Cabin". :huh::lol:)

121555.jpg

She was definitely not racist.

U S ambassador to Ghana in the 1970s

famous-as-child-filmstar-shirley-temple-

50 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Hey....  I never cared for Reagan as president at all.  But I don't judge nor dismiss his entire filmography based on my dislike of his politics.  

Come to think of it, I think I have seen a couple of his other movies. This is the Army is pretty good. This song is catchy.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

So you can only discuss the actors if you enjoy their films or have seen a large number of them? Also yes, Bonzo is complete garbage that doesn't even qualify a 4/10 rating. Your actor was B-tier at best. 

I don't thing this thread belongs in General Discussions since it has nothing to do with movies.  (unless by 'his legacy' you meant ONLY his legacy as an actor).

In addition it should have been clear that it would be very political and political discussions belong in Chit-Chat.

My guess is the Mod will moves this soon (at best),  or just delete it.

But Ziggy is overreacting when "he" implies anyone at this forum wishes to ban films associated with an actor\director\producer\ for PC reasons. 

As for Reagan as an actor;   Yea, wooden not very entertaining but he did some good work;  E.g. Kings Row.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, ziggyelman said:

I'd be surprised if any democrat wasn't pro-pedophile

sound stupid? Yep, just as stupid as your comment above. You know nothing as to why anyone would support him,(who needs jobs?) but attacking every one of his supporters just means, Trump wins in 2020. Guess that's what you want....

most of the actors you see in movies from the 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50s would be called racist today.(of course, all white people are racist, I hear)

Adolphe Menjou , Eugene Paulette, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Pat O'Brien, Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen, John Ford, Frank Capra, the list goes on and on...in fact, as liberal as hollywood is today, it was as conservative then...From Jane Russell's IMDB page ( I have always been a Republican, and when I was in Hollywood long ago, most of the people there were Republican. The studio heads were all Republican, my boss Howard Hughes was a raving Republican, and we had a motion picture code in those days so they couldn't do all this naughty stuff. We had John Wayne, we had Charlton Heston, we had man named Ronald Reagan, we had Robert Mitchum, James Stewart, Clark Gable.

now, Mayer, and the Warner bros were democrats, but Jane was mainly acting by the time those folks were replaced

so, I guess all those folks should be banned from TCM, right? if their views don't match today's views perfectly? Heston was a Republican, yet...he was involved with the Civil rights marches...what a sneaky racist!

,   Joan Crawford was a terrible, terrible mother. Promise to stop watching her films? want to have them banned here too?

Roman Polanski raped 13 year old, yet hollywood cheered him, a lot worse than saying something racist, 60+ years ago... Chinatown MUST BE BANNED Burn all copies of the negatives!!!!

I bet YOU and everyone else here has said things in private that they would be ashamed of becoming public knowledge. but, fairs fair. everyone should be banned from tcm, and this blog for anything they have said or thought in the past that was not PC.

The pedophile vote is minuscule compared to the racist vote. If Donny didn't believe that

quite a few of his supporters are racist he wouldn't bother with all the dog whistle

tweets. He has to keep them keyed up until November 2020. Of course many of the

actors from that bygone era were racists, as they just reflected the general population

in that regard. While there were more conservatives in Hollywood during the studio era,

there were Hollywood liberals also. Louis B. Mayer a Democrat? I don't think so. Heston

was a Democrat when he was involved with civil rights. He later became a Republican in

the dead cold hands period. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I believe it was Jerome Kern who said "Irving Berlin is American music."

Berlin is one of my favorites, right up there with George Gershwin. A real American patriot and it shines in his music. Here he singing "Operation Vittles" at 1:30 in.

• Thanks 1