Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Boy, Paramount Loved the Song Isn't It Romantic

sewhite2000

It's sung by multiple cast members in one of those Maurice Chevalier movies directed by Ernst Lubitsch in the early '30s, and it was still figuring prominently in Sabrina nearly a quarter of a century later. I just noticed it playing on the soundtrack when Barbara Stanwyck lures Henry Fonda into her cabin in The Lady Eve. Clearly, Paramount had absolute control over this song for many years. Every time I hear it playing on TCM presentation, I'm like, wait, is this a Paramount film? And it always is. If I can ever figure it out, I'm going to post on here a list of all the Paramount films that used this song. It has to be dozens.

12 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Clearly, Paramount had absolute control over this song for many years. Every time I hear it playing on TCM presentation, I'm like, wait, is this a Paramount film? And it always is.

Factory-era studios usually had their own publishing-rights divisions for songs written for their films, and had absolute control over ALL their songs for many years, to be used and re-used at their convenience with no rights issues--

Which is how "As Time Goes By" could resurface in Warner's Casablanca, or how Wizard of Oz songs could occasionally turn up in MGM Tom & Jerry cartoons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It's sung by multiple cast members in one of those Maurice Chevalier movies directed by Ernst Lubitsch in the early '30s, and it was still figuring prominently in Sabrina nearly a quarter of a century later. I just noticed it playing on the soundtrack when Barbara Stanwyck lures Henry Fonda into her cabin in The Lady Eve. Clearly, Paramount had absolute control over this song for many years. Every time I hear it playing on TCM presentation, I'm like, wait, is this a Paramount film? And it always is. If I can ever figure it out, I'm going to post on here a list of all the Paramount films that used this song. It has to be dozens.

LUBITSCH used ISNT IT ROMANTIC as a motif in many films, BILLY WILDER Used it a lot, sometimes ironically, as a tribute to Lubitsch. I have the feeling the use of the song was in many ways a salute to Lubitsch, who pioneered effervescent romantic comedies.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Not quite ... it appears first in LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932), directed by Rouben Mamoulian. It does star Chevalier, and it is a Paramount production.

It's actually a lovely film, some what Lubitschy - but not as risque as Lubitsch was in that pre-cod era. And the sequence that introduces "Isn't It Romantic" is a brilliant bit of storytelling and continuity in filmmaking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Isn't It Romantic" was introduced in Love Me Tonight (1932).  It's easy to think it was one of those Lubitsch/Chevalier movies, and I'm sure the close similarity was intended when it was made.  But it was directed by Rouben Mamoulian, rather than the great Lubitsch.

According to Wikipedia, besides The Lady Eve, Preston Sturges also used the song in The Palm Beach Story, where Rudy Vallee sang it.  In addition to Sabrina, Billy Wilder also featured the song in The Major And The Minor and A Foreign Affair.  Definitely a Paramount standard!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Brrrcold said:

Not quite ... it appears first in LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932), directed by Rouben Mamoulian. It does star Chevalier, and it is a Paramount production

Ha ha, I just mentioned on another thread you have to be thick skinned around here, because when you make a mistake, there is a 100 per cent chance someone will know it. I stand corrected.

8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ha ha, I just mentioned on another thread you have to be thick skinned around here, because when you make a mistake, there is a 100 per cent chance someone will know it. I stand corrected.

I did not mean to be discourteous. Heaven knows I need correcting. ...but do make an effort to see LOVE ME TONIGHT. It's delightful.

• Thanks 1

This was the song's introduction to the world, imaginatively directed by Rouben Mamoulian in Love Me Tonight, one of the truly great musical comedies of the '30s. Many think that Mamoulian out-Lubitsched Lubitsch with this delightful concoction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brrrcold said:

Not quite ... it appears first in LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932), directed by Rouben Mamoulian. It does star Chevalier, and it is a Paramount production.

It's actually a lovely film, some what Lubitschy - but not as risque as Lubitsch was in that pre-cod era. And the sequence that introduces "Isn't It Romantic" is a brilliant bit of storytelling and continuity in filmmaking.

I have a new favorite adjective!

(it's also worth it to read the lyrics, which are poetic in and of themselves)

Isn't It Romantic

Isn't it romantic?
Music in the night, a dream that can be heard
Isn't it romantic?
Moving shadows write the oldest magic word

I hear the breezes playing in the trees above
While all the world is saying you were meant for love

Isn't it romantic?
Merely to be young on such a night as this?
Isn't it romantic?
Every note that's sung is like a lover's kiss

Sweet symbols in the moonlight
Do you mean that I will fall in love perchance?

Isn't it romance?
Sweet symbols in the moonlight
Do you mean that I will fall in love perchance?

Isn't it romantic?
Isn't it romance?

Songwriters: RICHARD RODGERS, LORENZ HART

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

now that i think about it though, the song GOOD MORNING (HOW DO YOU DO?) shows up in a lot of MGM properties as well...maybe more than SINGIN...

Yeah, I was about to mention that one. It shows up in a ton from the 1930s, usually in instrumental form.

17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

FYI, MANHATTAN MELODRAMA contains the original version of BLUE MOON with different lyrics.

What was the original title? I wonder what the reasoning was to rewrite the lyrics? (I prefer Blue Moon's)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings